TWB 6-25-2012

TWB 6-25-2012

Dark-Star
Dark-Star

June 26th, 2012, 1:24 am #1

Shaving big areas is a bad idea for an anthro; it makes you look horrible and the skin underneath is horribly vulnerable to UV damage. Even more than for humans because our skin is MADE to be constantly exposed.

As for ice water, forget dumping it down one's pants and just go soak your head. Really. Makes you feel nice and cool in a gosh-darned hurry...*without* the unpleasantness of wet pants and/or underthings.

Tobias Amaranth
Tobias Amaranth

June 26th, 2012, 5:54 am #2

I have to say, I love these little details. Of course, cars and couches do not a tailed race satisfy, but I still appreciate the thought put into that little button on the back. :D

And to Dark-Star, huh! I never really thought about the risks of shaving with anthros. I mean, I know it's a niche fetish on FA (old Ozy and Millie creator is like, the 'leader' of it XD) but the downsides never popped into my head because of how cartoony it's typically presented. Some ice water around the ears sounds nice, but I also wonder how satisfying simply crunching on some ice would be.

Hallan
Hallan

June 26th, 2012, 12:23 pm #3

Shaving big areas is a bad idea for an anthro; it makes you look horrible and the skin underneath is horribly vulnerable to UV damage. Even more than for humans because our skin is MADE to be constantly exposed.

As for ice water, forget dumping it down one's pants and just go soak your head. Really. Makes you feel nice and cool in a gosh-darned hurry...*without* the unpleasantness of wet pants and/or underthings.
Wouldn't Doc likely have heat issues, too? How does he keep cool?

Dark-Star
Dark-Star

June 26th, 2012, 2:16 pm #4

I have to say, I love these little details. Of course, cars and couches do not a tailed race satisfy, but I still appreciate the thought put into that little button on the back. :D

And to Dark-Star, huh! I never really thought about the risks of shaving with anthros. I mean, I know it's a niche fetish on FA (old Ozy and Millie creator is like, the 'leader' of it XD) but the downsides never popped into my head because of how cartoony it's typically presented. Some ice water around the ears sounds nice, but I also wonder how satisfying simply crunching on some ice would be.
I'm impressed with Doc's attention to detail as well; it's probably what makes him such a good metalworker as well as a good cartoonist.

Yeah the skin damage risk isn't obvious until you think about it. Anthro skin is made to be shielded by an opaque layer of fur. Human skin is made to take the sun and we can still get burned.

As for ice, get a cup of crushed ice from, say, a gas station and suck on a mouthful at a time. Crunching down on ice cubes isn't really so good on your teeth.

Dark-Star
Dark-Star

June 26th, 2012, 2:22 pm #5

Wouldn't Doc likely have heat issues, too? How does he keep cool?
That's always been a bit of a mystery to me; anthro polar bears should have even more trouble than someone like Pirta.

My best guess is all the cold Dews he drinks like a fish, plus maybe a strict low-fat diet to minimize his, ah, 'natural insulation'.

Anon E. Mouse
Anon E. Mouse

June 26th, 2012, 5:55 pm #6

Dark-Star
Dark-Star

June 26th, 2012, 6:13 pm #7

I meant OUTSIDE

Solar
Solar

June 27th, 2012, 12:18 pm #8

I'm impressed with Doc's attention to detail as well; it's probably what makes him such a good metalworker as well as a good cartoonist.

Yeah the skin damage risk isn't obvious until you think about it. Anthro skin is made to be shielded by an opaque layer of fur. Human skin is made to take the sun and we can still get burned.

As for ice, get a cup of crushed ice from, say, a gas station and suck on a mouthful at a time. Crunching down on ice cubes isn't really so good on your teeth.
If you are in urgent need of cooling down (like in, "either I get some heat out of my system or I'll pass out right *now*"), hold the ice to your jugular. A soda can from the fridge works wonders, too. If both is unavailable, slap on a wet towel.

Don't keep it there for long, though. As soon as the immediate "melting!" emergency is over, transfer the cooling to your wrists. Too much cooling of the jugular too fast, and you'll get into the other (cardiac) sort of trouble.

Dark-Star
Dark-Star

June 28th, 2012, 3:30 pm #9

Thanks for the tip; I may need that in the future. I sure as heck needed it yesterday...did a 6-block forced march in 100+ degree heat to catch the bus b/c I missed the connecting one...very nearly passed out on the sidewalk.

Solar
Solar

June 29th, 2012, 8:14 am #10

Credits go to our Feldwebel from basic training in the German army. We did a 30km march through hilly terrain in an oppressive, humid heat, and his tricks and tips kept us going.

The other one I still employ on a regular basis: Sucking eucalyptus hard candy, especially when carrying heavy on a march. It increases thirst, and the cooling effect is mostly psychological, but it counters the feeling that you cannot get enough air in hot / humid conditions.