TWB 30/10/17 - Them's BIG electrics!

October 30th, 2017, 8:19 pm #1

Tall insulators on the left, big fat earth wires (green/yellow) on the right mean lotsa energy - Have Doc n Roge been playing with Tesla's lightning machines? I wonder how the robots cope with a grillion volts at a grillion amps hitting their chest-plates?
Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

October 30th, 2017, 8:22 pm #2

The best part, which only a few people will get, is that an insulator that size, when energized, usually has a 20+ foot exclusion zone so you don't become the ground channel.

And they have it right by the main door in

Doc.

October 31st, 2017, 1:14 am #3

Ozone.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

October 31st, 2017, 3:11 am #4

After all, it was "Only" 34.5KV 3Ph on busbars along the ceiling and dropping into the transformer Primary insulators like that, and the Lineman giggled a bit - And I read back to him their Motto.

"A Lineman's Pencil has No Eraser."

You usually don't get a second chance to go back and try that again, when the first time you get yourself in the wrong place around energized gear you're dead.

So when they think they built it safe enough to walk upright (wave your arms even) and you're out of Flashover range, I'm going to give it an extra foot or two of clearance just for shits and giggles. Because I DO know what can happen.

October 31st, 2017, 5:15 am #5

Stories like this always make me think of the one news article from several years ago, where some street thug decided that the clean, unsullied boxes in a transformer substation needed to be tagged.

So he jumps the fence, gets out his spray can, and apparently the moment the mist hit the air, he became the local ground to a multi-KV line, and became, as they say in the parlance, DRT- daid ra'at thar.

Mr. Tagger having forgotten- or, more likely, never learned- that there are often times where the fence or door or gate is there to protect you, not to protect what's inside.

Doc.

October 31st, 2017, 5:59 am #6

You instinctively duck when (a) you're in a HV substation or (b) you're under the blade arc of a helicopter. You KNOW damn' well that you don't have to, but you only walk tall if your hemorrhoids are acting up....
Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

October 31st, 2017, 6:47 am #7

Stories like this always make me think of the one news article from several years ago, where some street thug decided that the clean, unsullied boxes in a transformer substation needed to be tagged.

So he jumps the fence, gets out his spray can, and apparently the moment the mist hit the air, he became the local ground to a multi-KV line, and became, as they say in the parlance, DRT- daid ra'at thar.

Mr. Tagger having forgotten- or, more likely, never learned- that there are often times where the fence or door or gate is there to protect you, not to protect what's inside.

Doc.
Didn't that tagger win a Darwin award? n/t
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

October 31st, 2017, 7:06 am #8

But not officially. It's not listed on The Darwin Awards that I can find, but this article points out the kid was only 18, a high-school dropout, a regular graffiti "artist", and very probably died of his injuries. 11.5Kv'll do that, y'know.

Doc.

October 31st, 2017, 12:46 pm #9

Doc.
Similar story when I was growing up. Some kid though it'd be clever to TP a small substation near his home on Halloween night. It was a pretty damp evening and the first roll he threw drew an arc from the busbars over the fence and into his face. Scratch one promising football career.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

October 31st, 2017, 1:43 pm #10

Locally, about 10 years ago, a guy tried to steal the electric cable along an abandoned rail line. That particular line might have been abandoned, but a local hydro dam was still using the cable to service the main line. Guy won the Darwin and Edison awards for that one.

Further back, some kids ignored many large signs and climbed on top of some rail cars, reached up high, and got arced. I felt bad for them, but not for the ambulance-chasing scumbags who tried to sue the railroad afterward.