TWB 3/3/17 Why do markers have two-piece barrels?

TWB 3/3/17 Why do markers have two-piece barrels?

March 3rd, 2017, 5:27 pm #1

I'm guessing it's not to make them easier to fit in the dishwasher.
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

March 3rd, 2017, 9:21 pm #2

few years ago there were barrle kits that were two/three parts. the smart parts kits with the inserts and other kits with the control back bore and the barrel. with today paint going real small now you need smaller control backs.

March 4th, 2017, 4:10 am #3

But I can see some people doing that.

March 4th, 2017, 5:23 am #4

most likely for manufacturing,most barres go from 12-16 inches.If you make all the control bores the same length and simply change the front pieces size you dont need as many set ups

March 4th, 2017, 6:48 am #5

Somewhat off topic but one trick to clean old USGI stocks for M-1 Garands and Carbine is to place them in a dishwasher and run it through a cleaning cycle. This strips any oils, greases, cosmoline and other contaminants from deep within the wood grain. It also swells most dents and "cuts" (where a narrow object struck the stock leaving a very narrow deep dent) so the stock can be smoothed with little effort.
Best to do when the SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) is gone from the house for at least three hours to ensure all your body parts remain attached. :-O
Likewise, an old clothes iron can be used to "steam out" minor dents, etc. in the stock without the dishwasher. Again, be sure to clean thoroughly before she irons her delicate dress as a dirty iron means she comes looking for your hide when she sees the telltale grease, oils, etc. you left on the iron. Better yet, just go buy a cheap steam iron for your use and leave hers alone. Can save you hundreds of dollars trying to calm her down.
And yes, some individuals have put entire rifles, handguns and shotguns in dishwashers to clean off fouling and lubrication from the metal components: just don't forget to dry and oil ASAP!!!

March 4th, 2017, 7:58 am #6

Are there any actual paintball players left on this board?

Don't take that wrong, that's not any kind of insult and certainly wasn't meant to be. It's just that today's strip was aimed at paintball players, and I knew it was going to be a but meh for everyone else.

Even for a player it's not uproariously funny, but it's at least amusing. It's like asking why every computer has a keyboard, and being given an obviously-silly answer like "It gives you a place to stick your gum when you're done with it."

In reality, virtually no one cleans their barrels- or much of any of their other PB gear- in the dishwasher. It wasn't a thing before, and it's not a thing now. Any even midly interested player knows that the reason behind 2-piece barrels is to offer a selection of bore sizes, for different sizes of paint, without quite as much expense as a similar set of full barrels.

I've always wondered what percentages of readers- both here and of the comic- are players. For the first couple of years, of course, the only readers were from paintball boards, but after a while, readers migrated over from other comics, from some of the machinist and hotrod boards I've been on, and other sources.

I've guessed that the current readership of the comic is probably less than a third past or present players, but that's just a guess. It could be half that or twice that. I have no idea.

Doc.

March 4th, 2017, 9:59 am #7

Pods and stuff, too. Pretty much anything waterproof that could get just plain nasty.
Then again, it was probably because the field paint was pretty grody stuff that needed soap to get the residue off, and I didn't have access to a hose and big bin.

As far as designed purposes, there's several.
Marketing. People will buy a set of backs/inserts or tips, but usually not a handful of near-identical barrels. Even just the ability to buy that way is a marketing point.
Manufacturing. It's easier to make 250 fronts for 10", 12", 14", and 16", and 1000 backs all of the same length, than it is 250 full barrels of each. Also, the control portion of a quality barrel must be finished straight and smooth, and with a tip slightly larger than the back it's not quite as important for some makers there.
Half as smooth as a great part is a quarter of the cost.
Also, often the backs only come in silver and black (bulk pricing on finishing) and the tips come in pretty much any color you want (cheaper for small parts; more parts in a batch).

I could think of a dozen other reasons, but that's the engineer in me, not the typist. :P

March 4th, 2017, 12:58 pm #8

Don't take that wrong, that's not any kind of insult and certainly wasn't meant to be. It's just that today's strip was aimed at paintball players, and I knew it was going to be a but meh for everyone else.

Even for a player it's not uproariously funny, but it's at least amusing. It's like asking why every computer has a keyboard, and being given an obviously-silly answer like "It gives you a place to stick your gum when you're done with it."

In reality, virtually no one cleans their barrels- or much of any of their other PB gear- in the dishwasher. It wasn't a thing before, and it's not a thing now. Any even midly interested player knows that the reason behind 2-piece barrels is to offer a selection of bore sizes, for different sizes of paint, without quite as much expense as a similar set of full barrels.

I've always wondered what percentages of readers- both here and of the comic- are players. For the first couple of years, of course, the only readers were from paintball boards, but after a while, readers migrated over from other comics, from some of the machinist and hotrod boards I've been on, and other sources.

I've guessed that the current readership of the comic is probably less than a third past or present players, but that's just a guess. It could be half that or twice that. I have no idea.

Doc.
Since the demise of the "put your name and reply" setup and migration to a registered system*, I haven't responded to anything. Net54 FUBAR'd my initial registration attempt, and I kind of threw up my hands in frustration at it.

Love TWB, enjoy all of your work immensely, and as a player, find it fun and amusing when there's paintball jokes and comedy thrown around anywhere!

Ben

* I get the need for the registration, it was just one of those things that I never bothered to go back and fix from my end.

March 4th, 2017, 5:58 pm #9

Doc.
But i've watched enough youtube videos on paintball and read this comic for long enough (and dived through your main site) long enough i am pretty sure i could build a cocker and reasonably expect it to function as intended...

March 4th, 2017, 6:58 pm #10

Doc.
Haven't played in a while but im getting back into the saddle again. It's been 5 years and I miss it lol. Been following this comic since the fridge monster.

Been trying to get a lathe or a mill the last few years. Hopefully I can make that happen as well.