TWB 3-12-18 (Suggestiblity)

March 12th, 2018, 2:30 pm #1

Today's strip reminds me of my days as a barista.  One time some middle schoolers came in, and one of them - who was trying so damn hard to show how cool he was - asked for a drink with extra espresso.  As he drank it, he kept telling his friends how he could feel the caffeine kicking in, and that he was getting such a buzz, totally oblivious that I'd given him decaf.  Totally unprofessional, I know, but I'm sure his mom would've thanked me.

And then there were all the customers who came in asking for dark roast because they needed the extra kick.  I tried to explain that light roast generally has more caffeine, but they seldom believed me.

God I'm glad I'm not doing that job anymore.
"Vox populi, vox humbug!"
- William Tecumseh Sherman

March 12th, 2018, 2:50 pm #2

DannyBeans wrote: Today's strip reminds me of my days as a barista.  One time some middle schoolers came in, and one of them - who was trying so damn hard to show how cool he was - asked for a drink with extra espresso.  As he drank it, he kept telling his friends how he could feel the caffeine kicking in, and that he was getting such a buzz, totally oblivious that I'd given him decaf.  Totally unprofessional, I know, but I'm sure his mom would've thanked me.

And then there were all the customers who came in asking for dark roast because they needed the extra kick.  I tried to explain that light roast generally has more caffeine, but they seldom believed me.

God I'm glad I'm not doing that job anymore.
Sounds like a good entry for the notalwaysright.com website.

March 12th, 2018, 2:59 pm #3

Machtyn wrote: Sounds like a good entry for the notalwaysright.com website.
I actually have a couple stories that they accepted.  My all-time favorite is the time a woman asked me for a lukewarm mocha.  No problem for me, but she seemed really disappointed when she started drinking it.  I offered to warm it up, but she said no, because she was on a diet, and had read that calories are a unit of heat.
"Vox populi, vox humbug!"
- William Tecumseh Sherman

March 12th, 2018, 5:22 pm #4

Roger in the underworld...

"That's not much of an inferno, here, let me help you with that."

March 12th, 2018, 5:41 pm #5

DannyBeans wrote:
I actually have a couple stories that they accepted.  My all-time favorite is the time a woman asked me for a lukewarm mocha.  No problem for me, but she seemed really disappointed when she started drinking it.  I offered to warm it up, but she said no, because she was on a diet, and had read that calories are a unit of heat.
That is terrible. And I'm sure I'm gonna steal it. 😁

March 12th, 2018, 8:26 pm #6

I can't help but hear Roger's panel 2 shriek in the voice of the Roaches from the old RAID commercials... :D
-- Wow! Look, a Signature box!

March 12th, 2018, 8:35 pm #7

DannyBeans wrote:
Actually, yes. Adding hot liquid to your body reduces the number of calories burned to maintain your body temperature. But it is insignificant. When dietitians say "calorie" they mean what chemists call kilocalorie, So that cup (240 cm³) of hot (150°F, or 65°C) water, compared to 37°C body temperature. 240 cm³ x (65°C-37°C)/1000 = 6.72 "calories" (the dietitian variety). ;)

Tim

(The First Law Rules!)

March 13th, 2018, 3:46 am #8

DannyBeans wrote:

(Massive eyeroll followed by forehead slap) Jeeeezz