TWB 2012-05-21 : Yeeeaaa, you TAKE IT in the back side....

TWB 2012-05-21 : Yeeeaaa, you TAKE IT in the back side....

IDN
IDN

May 22nd, 2012, 3:37 am #1

Seriously though, can we pretend that those two were actually running at say, 28 mile per hour on the speed ball course.
More - less? Considering their animal side, how fast should they be able to go, in the semi humanoid form?

Latrans
Latrans

May 22nd, 2012, 7:08 am #2

Animals that are mostly humanoid would run in the same speed range as a human. This is largely due to a combined effect of the energy required to move the legs (humans have massively disproportional legs compared with most other animals) as well as the amount of ground a single stride can cover.

On the first point, consider that our legs work heavily on a pendulum effect. Very efficient for walking, but running is highly inefficient. On top of that, humans have very heavy legs compared to most other animals. They're built to hold us up, not push us forwards.

On the second point, compare a galloping animal to a running human. Compared to humans, the stride length to leg length is huge due to having a second set of legs to support weight while the first set is moving forward, translating into an extended distance. This is helped along in flexible animals (such as felids and canids) by being able to 'slinky' their body. Humans, on the other hand, are limited in the amount of time their single pair of legs may stay airborn, and, by extension, the distance they can travel in a single stride.

Nohbody
Nohbody

May 22nd, 2012, 10:54 am #3

Seriously though, can we pretend that those two were actually running at say, 28 mile per hour on the speed ball course.
More - less? Considering their animal side, how fast should they be able to go, in the semi humanoid form?
Looking closer at the strip, it looks like the one that didn't nail Pirta in the back tagged her on the gear hanging from her belt, not on her backside itself.

And on an unrelated note, why is Tawny's gun barrel smoking in the last frame? I'm not trying to second guess a guy who makes markers his business, it's just that it seems off to me.

(Of course, the last time I played was back in the 90s, and that with a rental pump.)

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

May 22nd, 2012, 11:33 am #4

Animals that are mostly humanoid would run in the same speed range as a human. This is largely due to a combined effect of the energy required to move the legs (humans have massively disproportional legs compared with most other animals) as well as the amount of ground a single stride can cover.

On the first point, consider that our legs work heavily on a pendulum effect. Very efficient for walking, but running is highly inefficient. On top of that, humans have very heavy legs compared to most other animals. They're built to hold us up, not push us forwards.

On the second point, compare a galloping animal to a running human. Compared to humans, the stride length to leg length is huge due to having a second set of legs to support weight while the first set is moving forward, translating into an extended distance. This is helped along in flexible animals (such as felids and canids) by being able to 'slinky' their body. Humans, on the other hand, are limited in the amount of time their single pair of legs may stay airborn, and, by extension, the distance they can travel in a single stride.
As noted, a cat or dog, when running full-tilt, has a stride of pretty much their entire outstretched body length. A two legged type runs using a stride of only about two-thirds or so of their maximum leg travel, which is itself already significantly shorter than the body length of the larger cats.

Without the use of the full body length, we can presume that our ladies would only be able to run roughly the same as their human counterparts, though maybe a bit more given the extra length of an anthrompomorphic digitigrade foot.

In reality, the snow leopard is generally assumed to be a bit faster than the red fox. Both are given a running speed of around 40mph, but the leopard supposedly can hit 50 in short bursts. The lynx is a tad slower at around 35 mph, due to a shorter, stockier build.

In TWB, we'll assume this general idea holds- Pirta is somewhat faster than Sandy, who is in turn faster than Tawny.

Doc.

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

May 22nd, 2012, 11:46 am #5

Looking closer at the strip, it looks like the one that didn't nail Pirta in the back tagged her on the gear hanging from her belt, not on her backside itself.

And on an unrelated note, why is Tawny's gun barrel smoking in the last frame? I'm not trying to second guess a guy who makes markers his business, it's just that it seems off to me.

(Of course, the last time I played was back in the 90s, and that with a rental pump.)
The "smoke" in this case is a bit of artistic license, helping denote that yes, it was Tawny that shot Pirta. Considering what a mess last week was, it helps remind the reader what was happening.

Although, in reality, yes, given the right conditions a barrel can indeed "smoke". If it's somewhat humid out, the cool air of the shot can cause moisture to condense, forming visible vapor.

Here's a photo I scanned a while back, out of an old copy of Paintball Games International:

I scanned and posted it years ago, in an earlier Guild discussion on two-piece barrels. I showed it as evidence that, even though the tip portion of the barrel is larger than the ball, that some air was indeed forced out of the ports- which showed that there was at least some pressure still behind the ball as it travelled down the ported-and-overbored section.

Note the little wisps of vapor along the barrel- note also it's a pretty humid day, as the guy's goggles are also badly fogged.

Here's another from my ancient archives, taken at one of Sec7G's events back in... what, '96 or so?

Again, kind of a humid day, and you can see that the marker produces a small cloud of vapor as it fires.

Keeping in mind that, in comic time, it's still very early morning, so it's not unreasonable to assume it's still a bit cool and humid.

Doc.

icouldbeahero
icouldbeahero

May 22nd, 2012, 7:11 pm #6