TWB 2/22/12 - Cooking with welding torches

TWB 2/22/12 - Cooking with welding torches

Torinir
Torinir

February 22nd, 2012, 2:50 pm #1

Creativity at its finest. End results, however, are not guaranteed to be edible. :P

Warparty
Warparty

February 22nd, 2012, 3:00 pm #2

Reminds me of the Jimmy Stewart movie 'Spirit of St. Louis', where he goes to the place to get the plane made and they are frying sand dabs (a fish) on a piece of sheet metal with a torch.

Shalom
Shalom

February 22nd, 2012, 4:43 pm #3

Creativity at its finest. End results, however, are not guaranteed to be edible. :P
There was an article about the Brattleboro & Whitehall (later the West River) Railroad, a narrow gauge that went from Brattleboro, VT, to South Londonderry in the late 1800s. Their right-of-way wasn't very wide or particularly well graded, and in winter trains often got stuck in the snow, sometimes taking 2 days to get across the 36 miles of track. In such cases, the express car was rifled for eggs en-route to the groceries along the line, and hard-boiled in steam from the locomotive. "When boiled eggs palled on the taste, the crew washed off the fire-shovel and fried a few thereon in the fire-box. Finicky passengers learned to follow the crews example when they grew hungry enough..."

Shalom
Shalom

February 22nd, 2012, 4:45 pm #4

I also wonder, if Doc has all those laboratories and missile silos and such in the basement, how there's not a single kitchen with a stove in it anywhere on the premises? Or even a bunsen burner and ring stand?

Arcticwlf
Arcticwlf

February 22nd, 2012, 4:53 pm #5

This makes me recall an episode of Home Improvement where there was an iron-worker showing how he made grilled cheese sandwiches on the job using a hand-held blowtorch.

Madcat
Madcat

February 22nd, 2012, 5:44 pm #6

As Bruno says in this strip " he is Doc, sometimes "just because" is a perfectally acceptable reason", I would add to that "It'S Doc " because he can" is the only reason he needs" XD.

http://www.the-whiteboard.com/autowb666.html

Kitkun
Kitkun

February 22nd, 2012, 7:59 pm #7

I also wonder, if Doc has all those laboratories and missile silos and such in the basement, how there's not a single kitchen with a stove in it anywhere on the premises? Or even a bunsen burner and ring stand?
Why is there only one microwave?

Someone
Someone

February 22nd, 2012, 8:21 pm #8

Look at the picture again.

He's cooking something with a torch.... in the kitchen..... ON TOP OF THE STOVE!

To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Foxfire5
Foxfire5

February 22nd, 2012, 8:31 pm #9

Grill cheese on top of the furnace used to keep pipes and punties warm at about 1000f inside.

Delicious.

CF
CF

February 22nd, 2012, 10:08 pm #10

The Civil Air Patrol Senior squadron my father was affiliated with at the time went to a campground, and discovered someone had made off with the BBQ grills.

So they made a new one.

No one ever asked where the 55-gallon-drum trash can disappeared to.... >