TWB 11.21.2017

TWB 11.21.2017

November 21st, 2017, 4:33 pm #1

So, Doc's coffee is more 'Fire for effect'

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, I like my coffee fairly weak. Keeps the tum happy.

November 21st, 2017, 5:27 pm #2

Arabica, beloved goddess of caffeine, would smite me if I failed to proclaim that for good weak coffee, you've got to brew it strong, and then dilute it.

The more water you filter through the grounds, the more bitter compounds you extract.

November 21st, 2017, 5:32 pm #3

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, I like my coffee fairly weak. Keeps the tum happy.
the walmart dunking dougnut clone coffee not bad. if your water system (town) drops a lot of clorine in the water pick up a briter bucket with filter. let the water filter out in the frig overnight to let the chems vent out.

November 21st, 2017, 6:00 pm #4

I admit I don't love pod-type coffee systems. The grounds are never fresh, and they tend to have different ideas about what constitutes a "cup" than I do. (My dad's Senseo was the worst offender. 4 ounces?! Please. That's not even a literal cup.) I find them inconvenient, as well - I know I'm going to have at least two cups before it gets burnt, so I might as well brew them both in one go and refill at my convenience. But each to their own. I'm certainly not going to be a snob about how anyone else likes theirs.

My go-to is a light roast. Less bitterness and more caffeine are a winning combination for me. My hometown doesn't have any local roasters who know what they're doing, so I generally get Gevalia's Traditional Blend. I buy it whole bean and grind it fresh (or the night before if I brew it with a timer). And yeah, I'm a cream-and-sugar man - heavy whipping cream and dark brown sugar when I'm at home. My doctor hates me.

That said, when the chips are down, I take my coffee engineer-style: hot, high-quality, caffeinated; pick any two.
"Vox populi, vox humbug!"
- William Tecumseh Sherman

November 21st, 2017, 6:21 pm #5

If it's the acid that's bothering you, there are low acid roasts. The darker the roast, the less acid is in it. Coffee labeled French or Dark or Dark French is generally roasted longer than others. Folger's Simply Smooth is supposed to be good, but I haven't found any around here.
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

November 21st, 2017, 10:36 pm #6

I admit I don't love pod-type coffee systems. The grounds are never fresh, and they tend to have different ideas about what constitutes a "cup" than I do. (My dad's Senseo was the worst offender. 4 ounces?! Please. That's not even a literal cup.) I find them inconvenient, as well - I know I'm going to have at least two cups before it gets burnt, so I might as well brew them both in one go and refill at my convenience. But each to their own. I'm certainly not going to be a snob about how anyone else likes theirs.

My go-to is a light roast. Less bitterness and more caffeine are a winning combination for me. My hometown doesn't have any local roasters who know what they're doing, so I generally get Gevalia's Traditional Blend. I buy it whole bean and grind it fresh (or the night before if I brew it with a timer). And yeah, I'm a cream-and-sugar man - heavy whipping cream and dark brown sugar when I'm at home. My doctor hates me.

That said, when the chips are down, I take my coffee engineer-style: hot, high-quality, caffeinated; pick any two.
Most of my friends who really drink coffee drink it by the pint (Imperial).
4oz? That'd be an insult!

November 22nd, 2017, 12:37 am #7

If it's the acid that's bothering you, there are low acid roasts. The darker the roast, the less acid is in it. Coffee labeled French or Dark or Dark French is generally roasted longer than others. Folger's Simply Smooth is supposed to be good, but I haven't found any around here.
That seems to require that bitter acidic taste...Meh

When I was in Puerto Rico 20-ish years ago, I discovered El Pico...WOW. Now that's coffee.
Turns out most of the Caribbean / Cuban type coffees I have a weakness for. Cafe con leche seems utterly harmless, but is actually a stealthy way of skipping breakfast, still getting too many calories and a full day's worth (or 3) of caffeine

If you want to discover something...Interesting, try iced sweet Vietnamese coffee. Not a hint of stealth, more calories than should be thought about & just enough caffeine to have you reading Matrix code.

November 22nd, 2017, 1:49 am #8

Arabica, beloved goddess of caffeine, would smite me if I failed to proclaim that for good weak coffee, you've got to brew it strong, and then dilute it.

The more water you filter through the grounds, the more bitter compounds you extract.
An Americano. (n/t)

November 22nd, 2017, 3:20 am #9

the walmart dunking dougnut clone coffee not bad. if your water system (town) drops a lot of clorine in the water pick up a briter bucket with filter. let the water filter out in the frig overnight to let the chems vent out.
mu unit does from 4 once to kaef sized pot. also units now you can use your own adaptor and fill a pod with fresh grounds.

November 22nd, 2017, 3:22 am #10

...volume.

I photographed a french press for a company that was going to sell on amazon, so now I guess I have a french press, and it turns out that I love it. I'd always just done drip coffee, but I REALLY like this little thing. No filters to worry about, no filling a weirdly-shaped water reservoir, just a kettle and a beaker. Every K-cup machine takes a decent amount of time to dispense a cup, plus all the time that filling and cleaning requires, then like you said, the coffee usually isn't that good. My press takes less than a minute and a half from dumping the grounds in to pouring a full quart of coffee.