TWB 03-July-2018 Classics are often the best

July 3rd, 2018, 12:41 pm #1

Honestly, I become a little kid all over again with a sparkler in my hand.

July 3rd, 2018, 3:40 pm #2

I love Roman Candles and sparklers! I've always thought it was more fun to be able to participate rather than just watch.
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

July 3rd, 2018, 3:52 pm #3

I've been thinking of changing careers. Now that my kids are grown and I have nothing left to look forward to but old age and debt, I think I might try my hand at making fireworks. (My remaining hand, anyway.)
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

July 3rd, 2018, 4:12 pm #4

hinermad wrote: I've been thinking of changing careers. Now that my kids are grown and I have nothing left to look forward to but old age and debt, I think I might try my hand at making fireworks. (My remaining hand, anyway.)
You'll be fine so long as you don't look at the laser with your remaining eye.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

July 3rd, 2018, 8:30 pm #5

We don't do fireworks around our homestead, as it traumatized the critters.  One of our friends still does substantial black powder booms in his handmade hand cannon.  Lasers, OTHO...
Astronomy buffs:  Hey, can I get a 5W laser to sight in my scope?
IATA:  Not on your sweet bippy!

July 3rd, 2018, 8:57 pm #6

kiawe wrote:Astronomy buffs:  Hey, can I get a 5W laser to sight in my scope?
IATA:  Not on your sweet bippy!
I remember reading an online article about a guy who used a green laser (I think it was 25 watts) to bounce a beam off of the corner reflectors left on the Moon during the Apollo missions. I don't remember if he had to (or even tried to) get FAA approval to fire the thing, but he talked about having friends act as spotters to warn him of approching aircraft so he wouldn't blind anyone.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

July 3rd, 2018, 10:28 pm #7

Well now, it looks like dear Doc and Roger are in a bit of a bind for a Fourth of July light show.  Guess they should have either stocked up before hand or not wasted what they did have.  Oh well boys, live and learn.

But if nothing else they could easily make a saw dust cannon.

Now those are very simple cannons, I'm absolutely certain that they can make something much BIGGER!!! (with at least enough radiant heat to flash cook good sized brats at 500 feet)  Especially if they soak the sawdust with some nitro-methane or even some of the rocket fuel laying around?

But wait, don't they regularly produce metal chips and shavings from a number a exotic metals?  Metals that when burned produce a variety of colors?  And are not some of those metals on the volatile side?

July 3rd, 2018, 10:39 pm #8

rec.pyro has gone the way of usenet but, cremora, flour or ghost mines can make some interesting fireballs. ghost mines are actually easy to color. If it's old fashioned you prefer, a gabe morte has a bit more thump. tho for really simple, you can always make a BIG bundle sparklers

July 3rd, 2018, 11:19 pm #9

I don't know if they're still using it, but the original fire breathing dragon in Disney's FANTASMIC! show used a Creaora flame-thrower.  Except for the actual shooting of the flames, the entire system is intrinsically safe, and spills can just be mopped up.  

July 3rd, 2018, 11:41 pm #10

I learned about Creamora when I worked in a grocery store while in high school. They had an incinerator to burn boxes, I had swept up a broken jar and threw it in the incinerator. Luckily I was standing to the side of the eruption of flame. 

Did you note the clues of how old I am? Glass jar of Creamora and before recycling of cardboard boxes.