July 4th, 2018, 12:14 am #11

Antknot wrote: Did you note the clues of how old I am? Glass jar of Creamora and before recycling of cardboard boxes.
It's almost like we worked at the same grocery store. Did you notice that Log Cabin pancake syrup listed formaldehyde as an ingredient back then?

My store also sold calcium carbide for the coal miners in the area. I understand that was a bit uncommon.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

July 4th, 2018, 1:53 am #12

hinermad wrote:
Antknot wrote: Did you note the clues of how old I am? Glass jar of Creamora and before recycling of cardboard boxes.
It's almost like we worked at the same grocery store. Did you notice that Log Cabin pancake syrup listed formaldehyde as an ingredient back then?

My store also sold calcium carbide for the coal miners in the area. I understand that was a bit uncommon.
South Williamson, KY is where I worked. No calcium carbide though.

July 4th, 2018, 4:18 am #13

I remember reading an online article about a guy who used a green laser (I think it was 25 watts) to bounce a beam off of the corner reflectors left on the Moon during the Apollo missions. I don't remember if he had to (or even tried to) get FAA approval to fire the thing, but he talked about having friends act as spotters to warn him of approching aircraft so he wouldn't blind anyone.

The big telescopes on Maunakea in Hawaii routinely point 12 W solid state lasers at the sky; that's how they make guide stars for the Adaptive Optics.  At first they used human spotters, and believe me, to sit for hours outside in the cold night wind on Maunakea is not pleasant. 

Now they've got some automatic system that shuts the laser if a plane gets near.

July 4th, 2018, 6:29 am #14

Antknot wrote: I learned about Creamora when I worked in a grocery store while in high school. They had an incinerator to burn boxes, I had swept up a broken jar and threw it in the incinerator. Luckily I was standing to the side of the eruption of flame. 

Did you note the clues of how old I am? Glass jar of Creamora and before recycling of cardboard boxes.
I realize that anyone reading this comic is probably quite familiar with the show, but since non-dairy creamer fires have been mentioned, I can't NOT link to the exquisite beauty that is the Mythbusters's Creamer Cannon.

July 4th, 2018, 12:29 pm #15

kelestra wrote: I realize that anyone reading this comic is probably quite familiar with the show, but since non-dairy creamer fires have been mentioned, I can't NOT link to the exquisite beauty that is the Mythbusters's Creamer Cannon.
I love watching Mythbusters in their natural habitat, but I'll bet the people who live and work up around Altamont Pass have pretty much the same attitude as Doc's neighbors in the comic. "BOOOM!" "What was that noise?" "That's just Doc / those kids from San Fran."

This pretty well illustrates my feeling when I saw Mr. Wizard demonstrate a coffee creamer bomb:
http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1900/fc01871.htm
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

July 6th, 2018, 1:07 am #16

July 5. Swampy on clean up duty. Now that was a Fourth to remember.

July 6th, 2018, 4:10 am #17

Yeah, it'll probably take TWO cans of Dew to heal Doc after this 4th of July!
Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

July 6th, 2018, 11:50 am #18

Or a pot of Doc's special blend of coffee poured on top.

July 7th, 2018, 6:14 pm #19

hinermad wrote:
kiawe wrote:Astronomy buffs:  Hey, can I get a 5W laser to sight in my scope?
IATA:  Not on your sweet bippy!
I remember reading an online article about a guy who used a green laser (I think it was 25 watts) to bounce a beam off of the corner reflectors left on the Moon during the Apollo missions. I don't remember if he had to (or even tried to) get FAA approval to fire the thing, but he talked about having friends act as spotters to warn him of approching aircraft so he wouldn't blind anyone.
Actually, one of my friends (the same one who built a 5W green laser because he couldn't get it otherwise) did manage to finally bounce it off the cube reflector on the Moon.  We have friends who work at the Institute for Astronomy up in Pukalani, and at their last Open House John was lamenting the fact that he wasn't getting any return from the reflector.  One of the other participants asked "well, have you done this... and this... and tried this?" and they had a big discussion.  Turns out the other gent had helped make the original reflectors, so if ever there was a source, John found it.  I have to ask John what the wattage was for his laser pointer, though.

July 7th, 2018, 6:15 pm #20

And BTW, if you do ceramics, non-dairy creamer reputedly makes a good low-fire glaze.
Cremora: is there nothing it cannot do?