Transparent firearm suppressors- in slow mo!

Transparent firearm suppressors- in slow mo!

September 26th, 2017, 9:11 am #1

One of my favorite YouTube channels, Smarter Every Day, has a video out where he helps test and video some rifle suppressors. The company was probably happy to help in order to get the high-speed footage, and likely, if they're a fairly high-tech company, wanted to see how their computer models compared to real-world use.

Basically they gave some "monocore" units a clear outer sleeve, which produced some awesome footage.

The tests were basically one-shot deals, unfortunately; even for the units that survived, the hot gasses burned and melted the plastic outer sleeves.

Don't miss the behind the scenes portion- not only is there a quick view of a country-club level gun range, but more background on suppressors in general.

But really, the high-speed video of the internal muzzle blasts are the cool part.

Doc.

September 26th, 2017, 9:33 am #2

That was pretty neat. My own suppressor isn't transparent. Rated for .300 Winchester Magnum, though...

I wonder if the suppressor that shattered would have held together if the blast chamber portion of the monocore wasn't vibrating like a tuning fork.

September 26th, 2017, 9:36 am #3

One of my favorite YouTube channels, Smarter Every Day, has a video out where he helps test and video some rifle suppressors. The company was probably happy to help in order to get the high-speed footage, and likely, if they're a fairly high-tech company, wanted to see how their computer models compared to real-world use.

Basically they gave some "monocore" units a clear outer sleeve, which produced some awesome footage.

The tests were basically one-shot deals, unfortunately; even for the units that survived, the hot gasses burned and melted the plastic outer sleeves.

Don't miss the behind the scenes portion- not only is there a quick view of a country-club level gun range, but more background on suppressors in general.

But really, the high-speed video of the internal muzzle blasts are the cool part.

Doc.
SED's see-through potato gun!

That's some killer footage right there....

Doc.

September 26th, 2017, 9:47 am #4

That was pretty neat. My own suppressor isn't transparent. Rated for .300 Winchester Magnum, though...

I wonder if the suppressor that shattered would have held together if the blast chamber portion of the monocore wasn't vibrating like a tuning fork.
In the first video, they said the shell on that one was thin because it was simply a demo model- a desktop showpiece, not meant to be test-fired. That and it was undersized- it was meant for a .223, but they fired it on a .308.

Basically, I think it was gonna 'splode no matter what, but yeah, with enough hot gas the metal part was distorting, the plastic didn't stand a chance.

I'd be curious to see how a "wet" can performs. There was an article in a magazine years ago, about a very James-Bond-ish .25 or .32 (probably a Walther or similar) sold in a 'kit' with a tiny stainless steel suppressor. I seem to recall it was about the same diameter and just a tad longer than a "C" battery.

But the only way to make a can that tiny work well, was to run it "wet"- that is, containing a fluid that helped cool the hot gasses. As such, it was supplied with threaded plugs at both ends, and fitted into an ankle holster rig.

Which tended to make me wonder- that's not really a... you know... self defense type rig, is it?

Doc.

September 26th, 2017, 10:05 am #5

That would be neat to find out. I've witnessed first-hand how just a tiny amount of water in a suppressor on a handgun can make a noticeable difference. Taking it a step further, I'd like to see high speed footage of a rapid consecutive shot, with a lot of the oxygen burned out of the suppressor. There is a phenomenon sometimes called "first round pop" where the first shot is louder due to powder that didn't burn in the barrel igniting inside the suppressor. I would think that there would be less flash and more smoke to illustrate the flow of gasses.

October 5th, 2017, 1:48 am #6

Doc.
I have all the paper work to get a suppressor , waiting to see if legislation allows me to purchase minus the $200 and 6 to 14 month wait.
I can see how some suppressors might actually get hotter at one point than another? That spirally one was cool, but I suppose its very difficult to clean?

I like Surefire.