Tormach Tormach Tormach!

Tormach Tormach Tormach!

August 3rd, 2017, 1:10 am #1

Not quite the legendary Tora Tora Tora, but it will do. So I'm now the proud owner of a Tormach mill. I set it up in the local makerspace and am going to slowly bring the count of machines up to a full machine shop. Who dares, buys more machines.

The setup was exhausting, heavy and annoying:
][/img][/url]

First part:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/R40lvYo.jpg[/img]

August 3rd, 2017, 5:23 am #3

So... what's the square thing? Small vise mount?

Is that new or used? And did you get all the goodies with it? Like the enclosure and coolant? What'd you give for it, all told, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm very strongly leaning towards a couple of Tormachs, myself. I'd love to have the lathe with all the trimmings, and as much as I'd like to have the bigger mills, I'll probably start with the 440 simply from a cost and space point of view.

Doc.

August 3rd, 2017, 9:52 pm #4

Not sure about the Not-Working ones preceding the Not-Working Working ones....
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

August 4th, 2017, 12:23 am #5

So... what's the square thing? Small vise mount?

Is that new or used? And did you get all the goodies with it? Like the enclosure and coolant? What'd you give for it, all told, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm very strongly leaning towards a couple of Tormachs, myself. I'd love to have the lathe with all the trimmings, and as much as I'd like to have the bigger mills, I'll probably start with the 440 simply from a cost and space point of view.

Doc.
I built the enclosure for a couple hundred bucks and coolant, all for about $12k. Start with at least 770, 440 is not worth it.

August 4th, 2017, 12:54 am #6

I'd be very curious why you consider it "not worth it". Honest question, not trying to be combative.

I've watched several YT videos where people have given a "now that I've had it a while, let me give you my opinion", and "what I might have done differently" type of reports, and the only time anyone's complained about the smaller ones (that is, wished they had a bigger one) it's simply been a matter of the physical size of the workpiece.

I'm severely limited in both physical space and funds, and the vast majority of my workpieces will be both aluminum and well within the work envelope of the 440.

I'd love to have the 1100, but even if I just got the 440, at least one, if not two machines are going to have to go away, first. I literally have zero room.

Doc.

August 4th, 2017, 1:31 am #7

You end up at almost exactly the same price for a similar package with the 770. It just doesn't make sense financially, why get a less powerful machine for very marginally less cost?

August 4th, 2017, 1:32 am #8

We're open to it.

August 4th, 2017, 1:25 pm #9

You end up at almost exactly the same price for a similar package with the 770. It just doesn't make sense financially, why get a less powerful machine for very marginally less cost?
When considering the enclosure- virtually a requirement for coolant, which is itself a requirement for production work- I can "a'la carte" an $8,700 440. A similar setup for the 770 is closer to $14,000, plus the additional shipping cost of the larger, bulkier machine. (Another $500-$700.)

Rounding off a bit, I can have an enclosed, ready-to-go 400 on the floor for $10K, or an enclosed, ready-to-go 770 for $15K. That extra five grand is not a trivial amount of money for me.

Plus there's still the nontrivial size aspect. You might not understand that when I say I have "no room" in my shop, I mean there is zero room.

I'm currently working on a dust enclosure for my Shapeoko router, and I have no idea where I'm going to put that when it's done. It spent last winter on sawhorses in front of the machine room's main door, because I had no other place to put it. The new big Exacto mill, at the moment, can't be fully used because at certain places, the table runs into the Logan lathe on one side, or the wall on the other side.

All that considered- and the fact that I'm still a green enough newbie I don't need to be diving into tool changers and 4th axes yet- I believe that, for the time being, I would be better served by the 440.

Doc.

August 4th, 2017, 6:03 pm #10

If I wanted to do any milling or 3d printing, I would have to go be a plague on the house of our local Makers' guild. I have no place I could set up even a tiny workshop. At least they have the equipment and a semi-permanent shop location, even if it is on the other side of the island.