August 29th, 2018, 1:42 pm #11

I have no dog in this race, but thought it worthwhile to note I'd definitely steam clean anything that came from a semen distribution company too.
There are some thing I just won't deal with.
And I transport corpses for a living.

August 29th, 2018, 2:32 pm #12

Back when I was in scouts as an Explorer (that's scouting of high school age) we held our meetings in some space Dow made available in one of their engineering labs.  Not really into mechanical stuff quite yet I didn't take a lot of interest in too much of the wild stuff that was sitting around some evenings when we rolled in.  I do remember the first ultrasonic cleaners and etchers I saw there, also some really cool mixers, which had a little Teflon encased magnetic rod sitting in the bottom of a tub which was propelled by a magnetic field, either mechanically or electronically generated means.  Cool stuff.

August 29th, 2018, 2:51 pm #13

I'd suggest you try CitraSOLV.  My employer buys it by the drum to de-grease particularly large anodized aluminum parts - and it smells nice to boot.

August 29th, 2018, 3:57 pm #14

I have a smallish ultrasonic cleaner that I use for small model stuff and personal items, it lives in my shop.  SWMBO likes to clean her jewelry so I bring it inside once in a while and set it up for her.  You can improve the cleaning by 'tuning' the cavity using variable depths - start cleaning and add a little water at a time until you can see the cleaning action improve (or hear it - hard to describe but the harmonics seem to change).

September 5th, 2018, 5:22 pm #15

I would suggest dish soap and water. That should be adequate for most paintball grunge, particularly with heat. Don't use dishwasher detergent though.

September 5th, 2018, 5:46 pm #16

Ive used pine-sol to clean carbs before, but it can discolor them if you leave it too long. But we are talking 1980's honda aluminum here. 
__
Designer / maker of Jeep gauges and assorted automotive bits and baubles.
TeamADW.com

September 6th, 2018, 1:23 am #17

I'm trying to remember what we used to use in the ultrasonic cleaner in the jewelrysmithing lab... I think it wasn't anything more than a few drops of dishwashing detergent, but it cleaned up the beadblasted parts a treat and loosened tape residue.

September 6th, 2018, 2:14 am #18

sniper1rfa wrote: I would suggest dish soap and water. That should be adequate for most paintball grunge, particularly with heat. Don't use dishwasher detergent though.
Might want to avoid blue Dawn dish soap too. I strongly suspect it contains ammonia. (The label warns against mixing with chlorine bleach. Other colors don't carry that warning.)

Is a citrus degreaser safe for aluminum?
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

September 6th, 2018, 2:52 am #19

if you want to use a slightly more "agressive" solvent with your ultrasonic cleaner, just place a second container or a bag with the parts and solvent into the basket - the water will transfer the sonic waves through the container.

I find UCs tend to work best with areas that a brush has difficulty getting at (like threads, etching and corners), and balks at handling large amounts of crud left on the part.

September 6th, 2018, 3:18 am #20

Recently cleaned some carburetor parts with it. As the booster horns and accelerator pump covers were "aluminum" (well, pot metal/Zamak, anyway) I didn't want to use the high-concentration Purple Power- which was pretty grungy by that point anyway.

I first tried a few squirts of GoJo, but that didn't do crap- I suspect it was even less effective than just plain water would have been.

Then I went back to the Purple, but a lot weaker than I'd mixed up before. That worked a lot better, but a couple parts still had oily dirt on them that it only softened, not removed. I should have scrubbed those off first, but really, I wanted to see how well it did at cleaning as-supplied parts.

I was thinking I should get some Dawn or other "grease cutting" dish-soap/detergent and give that a try, Might be a bit more effective.

One other bit: I think I'll have to dig up a mesh tea-infuser ball or something, for the smaller parts. I lost one of the pieces out of this coarse-mesh factory basket, but very luckily found it in the P-trap of the shop sink. 😁

Doc.