Told'ja I was a packrat...

Told'ja I was a packrat...

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

September 22nd, 2011, 12:02 pm #1

Sometimes bein' a Packrat pays off. If you have the space, and a high tolerance for squalor.

As I've mentioned below, I need- want?- to upgrade the brakes on the new-to-me white Toronado. It's a nontrivial mod in that it's fairly involved, even just from the simple number-of-pieces standpoint, but even still, it's a straightforward one in that it's largely a bolt-on. Remove old part, bolt new part in it's place. No welding, little or no fabbing, no sourcing exotic custom or aftermarket pieces.

But, of course, that presumes you do, in fact, have those replacement parts to bolt on.

And, since us Packrats tend to default to "I might need that someday" mode, it just so happens that I do, in fact, have those parts.

Opening up my McGee's Closet once again, I have this:

That's a chunk of the subframe from a mid-70's Cadillac Eldorado (suspension-wise, effectively identical to the Toronado) that someone had cut out with a torch, and then left in a junkyard for me to find and drag home. I've had it for at least five years, sitting out back under a rapidly-mouldering scrap of blue tarp.

"Packrat" still sounds better than "redneck", don't you think?

Now, technically all I really needed off this thing was the complete spindles and upper A-arms. Most of the rest would either be reused or replaced with new (like the tie-rods) or remanufactured parts (like the calipers.) But, since I was there with a bucket of tools, I went ahead and stripped it. Now you see it, now you don't:

The extra pieces I don't immediately need, like the steering box and drag link, I'll just clean, label and store. The rest, I'll clean, rebuild, reassemble and paint, so when it comes time to do the conversion, it'll be a fairly quick remove/reinstall, instead of having the car sitting there dead while I wait for paint to dry or something.

Said it before, I'll say it again: there's a reason I'm a packrat.

Doc.

MarkT
MarkT

September 22nd, 2011, 9:11 pm #2

Or are you going to save the remainder in case you need to salvage the welds from it some time in the future?

Brandon_ha
Brandon_ha

September 22nd, 2011, 10:26 pm #3

Nautical / Trash

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

September 22nd, 2011, 11:14 pm #4

Yes, it'll get tossed the next time I make a load for the recycler.

Technically, there are plans afoot, by others, for a Toro/Eldo-based midengine conversion, so, believe it or not, words were, in fact, exchanged over keeping it for a base frame since it's already cut down to more or less what the purported midengine "cradle" assembly would be.

However, this plan was vetoed, since he has a full car that'll be donating the drivetrain. He can just as easily work with that.

But yes, keeping it was considered.

Doc.

MarkT
MarkT

September 23rd, 2011, 12:08 am #5

You could turn it to rust, mix it with aluminum turnings, and have a nice fire.

Wind chimes? A bear trap? If you wait long enough you might find another and use them as legs for a workbench? Sure you don't want to clean it up, label it, and put it on a shelf? Turn it into a shelf?

There is a difference between a pack-rat and a hoarder. I haven't got a clue what the difference is but I am sure there is one.

Someone
Someone

September 23rd, 2011, 2:02 am #6

Sometimes bein' a Packrat pays off. If you have the space, and a high tolerance for squalor.

As I've mentioned below, I need- want?- to upgrade the brakes on the new-to-me white Toronado. It's a nontrivial mod in that it's fairly involved, even just from the simple number-of-pieces standpoint, but even still, it's a straightforward one in that it's largely a bolt-on. Remove old part, bolt new part in it's place. No welding, little or no fabbing, no sourcing exotic custom or aftermarket pieces.

But, of course, that presumes you do, in fact, have those replacement parts to bolt on.

And, since us Packrats tend to default to "I might need that someday" mode, it just so happens that I do, in fact, have those parts.

Opening up my McGee's Closet once again, I have this:

That's a chunk of the subframe from a mid-70's Cadillac Eldorado (suspension-wise, effectively identical to the Toronado) that someone had cut out with a torch, and then left in a junkyard for me to find and drag home. I've had it for at least five years, sitting out back under a rapidly-mouldering scrap of blue tarp.

"Packrat" still sounds better than "redneck", don't you think?

Now, technically all I really needed off this thing was the complete spindles and upper A-arms. Most of the rest would either be reused or replaced with new (like the tie-rods) or remanufactured parts (like the calipers.) But, since I was there with a bucket of tools, I went ahead and stripped it. Now you see it, now you don't:

The extra pieces I don't immediately need, like the steering box and drag link, I'll just clean, label and store. The rest, I'll clean, rebuild, reassemble and paint, so when it comes time to do the conversion, it'll be a fairly quick remove/reinstall, instead of having the car sitting there dead while I wait for paint to dry or something.

Said it before, I'll say it again: there's a reason I'm a packrat.

Doc.
If you have to wait for snowmelt to figure out how many cars (or major portions of cars) that you own.

Vaemer-Riit: Sneaky Cheetah
Vaemer-Riit: Sneaky Cheetah

September 23rd, 2011, 2:45 am #7

You could turn it to rust, mix it with aluminum turnings, and have a nice fire.

Wind chimes? A bear trap? If you wait long enough you might find another and use them as legs for a workbench? Sure you don't want to clean it up, label it, and put it on a shelf? Turn it into a shelf?

There is a difference between a pack-rat and a hoarder. I haven't got a clue what the difference is but I am sure there is one.
>There is a difference between a pack-rat and a hoarder.
>I haven't got a clue what the difference is but I am
>sure there is one. happy.gif

The main difference is that a Pack-rat can still move around his/her house/property without a forklift.

Robin Bobcat
Robin Bobcat

September 23rd, 2011, 8:28 am #8

If you have to wait for snowmelt to figure out how many cars (or major portions of cars) that you own.
Your front porch collapses and kills more than three sled dogs.

You can accurately describe the taste of roadkilled seal.

A fur-trimmed parka is considered 'formal attire'.

You have over 100 words for 'drunk'.

You sign your name with an 'X' unless someone tells you to do it like when you write in the snow.