Today's TWB!

Today's TWB!

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

July 23rd, 2012, 12:05 pm #1

-No idea what's up with TWB, though I suspect that, for what, the third year in a row? The domain didn't renew automatically like it's supposed to, and for which I've had multiple conversations with the hosting company.

I'll see what I can do in the morning, sorry for the inconvenience.

Doc.

Brandon_ha
Brandon_ha

July 23rd, 2012, 2:33 pm #2

Next / Time

Ketira
Ketira

July 23rd, 2012, 4:20 pm #3

-No idea what's up with TWB, though I suspect that, for what, the third year in a row? The domain didn't renew automatically like it's supposed to, and for which I've had multiple conversations with the hosting company.

Doc.
....you wouldn't have this problem if you came over to DreamHost! I've never had a problem with them, and they can "hide" you so that spammers who want to contact you get DreamHost instead. :> You could switch to WordPress & their comic module, and you'd be set up in no time!

....are you sure you don't want me to do a mirror? I've plenty space....

WolfWings
WolfWings

July 23rd, 2012, 6:56 pm #4

Just saying as I've known a dozen webcomics that end up getting hacked/taken down due to how insecure WordPress often ends up being. And not WordPress itself, but PHP.

Hell, one right now has gone down THREE times, to the point it's turned out to be easier to roll their own code and rebuild from scratch than try to recover the data from the WordPress install. And this is an actually computer-savvy individual.

But they happened to have a well-linked webcomic, and were on ComicPress -> WordPress, and had hackers just pound their site until they found ways into the webcode, usually via PHP exploits directly. Server's been fine, but their webfolders kept getting blown away.

So, yeah, I don't trust WordPress for major site hosting anymore just because of the language it's written in having so many issues lately it seems. :/ As an engine? It's fine. But it's just built on swiss-cheese it seems.

Wojtek
Wojtek

July 23rd, 2012, 8:17 pm #5

The issue is twofold; PHP is a language that's "easy to pick up", and has some really big quirks that make it actually hard to write safe code, and super easy to write very insecure code.
Combining these, you come to the (correct) conclusion that most of PHP software out there is poorly and insecurely written.

Wordpress is insanely popular, and because of that, an exploit in Wordpress means a lot of sites it will work on, which means "high profit", which means lots of various groups do look for (and find) holes to exploit.

As far as I've heard, the "main" code in the recent versions is quite better, but massive majority of thirdparty plugins are slow and insecure, and without these plugins the site is very boring.

Also: The way to prevent MOST of the problems is to make sure Wordpress cannot edit its own files. It wants to, and asks you to set the directory permissions that way; the RIGHT thing to do is to keep writable only the folder(s) where images and stuff are uploaded to, and keep the actual code files read-only except when you're installing an update. (Then you temporarily make it writeable, install, and make read-only again.)

And before someone asks... no, I don't feel I can safely recommend *any* website engine as a "no-maintenance" one.

*yawn*

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

July 23rd, 2012, 9:03 pm #6

....you wouldn't have this problem if you came over to DreamHost! I've never had a problem with them, and they can "hide" you so that spammers who want to contact you get DreamHost instead. :> You could switch to WordPress & their comic module, and you'd be set up in no time!

....are you sure you don't want me to do a mirror? I've plenty space....
...That the hosting isn't the problem, nor is the software. Basically at the moment it's just a billing problem; I'm supposed to have an autopay arrangement of some sort, but for whatever reason it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing.

My host is a local telephone company- they have fat pipes and fast servers, and on-the-ball technical support because they also host data for several big companies like BP, Shell and the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. I've been using them for fourteen years now, and the non-payment-related outages in that time can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Ditto my software. Curt wrote it ten years ago, and the only tweaking it's ever needed was to adapt to various server upgrades over the years. It's not as full-featured as a well-tuned Wordpress, but it's also much more secure, and does everything I want it to.

I am NOT going to sever a decade-plus long, well-proven and highly reliable business arrangement just because of one temporary outage that is probably just a billing error.

Doc.

Ketira
Ketira

July 24th, 2012, 1:35 am #7

...sometimes I need reminding. But one offer still stands: to mirror your site in case of things like this or outages that happen up there due to Mt. Redoubt or other volcanoes. I really do have too much space to deal with at the moment; and even if I did get my site up full-blown, with a shop for Mom on the side... I'd still have space to spare for such.

You know where to find me if you want this; if you have forgotten, I can be found on Facebook or Twitter.

Ketira
Ketira

July 24th, 2012, 1:38 am #8

The issue is twofold; PHP is a language that's "easy to pick up", and has some really big quirks that make it actually hard to write safe code, and super easy to write very insecure code.
Combining these, you come to the (correct) conclusion that most of PHP software out there is poorly and insecurely written.

Wordpress is insanely popular, and because of that, an exploit in Wordpress means a lot of sites it will work on, which means "high profit", which means lots of various groups do look for (and find) holes to exploit.

As far as I've heard, the "main" code in the recent versions is quite better, but massive majority of thirdparty plugins are slow and insecure, and without these plugins the site is very boring.

Also: The way to prevent MOST of the problems is to make sure Wordpress cannot edit its own files. It wants to, and asks you to set the directory permissions that way; the RIGHT thing to do is to keep writable only the folder(s) where images and stuff are uploaded to, and keep the actual code files read-only except when you're installing an update. (Then you temporarily make it writeable, install, and make read-only again.)

And before someone asks... no, I don't feel I can safely recommend *any* website engine as a "no-maintenance" one.

*yawn*
okay, so WP is out. I won't go that route. I have a couple books on HTML 5.0; wouldn't that be a better option?

Darth Venomous
Darth Venomous

July 24th, 2012, 5:05 am #9

...sometimes I need reminding. But one offer still stands: to mirror your site in case of things like this or outages that happen up there due to Mt. Redoubt or other volcanoes. I really do have too much space to deal with at the moment; and even if I did get my site up full-blown, with a shop for Mom on the side... I'd still have space to spare for such.

You know where to find me if you want this; if you have forgotten, I can be found on Facebook or Twitter.
...a mirror site wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.

In addition to K's generous offer, I have an unlimited-capacity account over at Hosting Matters, with a couple spots open for domains. Call it something like "the-other-whiteboard.com" or somesuch.

At yer service, should it ever become necessary, sir.

gnume
gnume

July 24th, 2012, 10:44 am #10

Doc.
what about putting the comic on a sub-domain temporarily ? like : whiteboard.docsmachine.com

if both sites are on the same account it should be fairly easy