September 11th, 2018, 7:45 am #11

...I mentioned your comment on twitter Doc.. You've had a favourite from a Richard Brunning ;)

September 11th, 2018, 9:17 pm #12

DocsMachine wrote: "While I'm sure that lightweight laminated cardboard Mondeos are indeed the future, we're not there yet."

😁

Doc.
Which differs from current Mondeos *how*? >;)

<- dives into bunker
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

September 11th, 2018, 9:34 pm #13

csadn wrote: Which differs from current Mondeos *how*? >;)

<- dives into bunker
If you think a mk4 mondeo is _lightweight_ laminated cardboard, I have a 2tonne dead one I'll leave on your bunker's hatch.

The Mk4 is _FAT_. Seriously the mk3 was like, 1680kg, the mk4 I had tipped the scales at 2190.. that was heavier then my jag estate!
It went on a little diet for the face lifted mk4, down to 1800kg. The Mk5 is positively anorexic by comparison at iirc, 1600kg.

September 11th, 2018, 10:04 pm #14

2190kg? Jeez, you shouldn't have bought the 'African Dictator Bullet-Proof' model.... (Dives into bunker with csadn)

Seriously, though... Why is it so much heavier than the Mk3? Obviously its sheet metal is still too thin, and it has more airbags and seat-belt tensioners and the other survival crap in it than its predecessor, but upping the GVM by 500+kg? W-O-W!!
Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

September 11th, 2018, 10:54 pm #15

Beejay5169 wrote: 2190kg? Jeez, you shouldn't have bought the 'African Dictator Bullet-Proof' model.... (Dives into bunker with csadn)

Seriously, though... Why is it so much heavier than the Mk3? Obviously its sheet metal is still too thin, and it has more airbags and seat-belt tensioners and the other survival crap in it than its predecessor, but upping the GVM by 500+kg? W-O-W!!
mostly the doors you'd think.
Seriously the Mk4 doors are really thick when you look at them compared to the mk3. I'd say 50% thicker. And heavier. It's one of the things Fated who works for/with me noticed was you didn't have to strain as much with the Mk4 facelift as the Mk4 when opening the doors.
But otherwise there's things like the boot has more metal in it's hatch back, the wings seem to have more metal, esp the rear. Which also makes it bloody hard to replace a bulb in the rear light clusters. The mk4 has clipped in light units with plastic clips with large access areas, the Mk4's are bolted into place from the inside though almost tailored holes in the inner skin, etc.
The first DW-10's are also heavier then the equiv ZSD-420 ("Puma") engines, and that's before you go adding the DPF and urea injection systems.
It's one of those "it's a little heavier in places" issues where you add up all the places and go "ouch, that's heavy"

Even the fuel system has this issue - the Mk3 has a 55 litre tank, the mk4 ford decided to put a 70 litre tank in. IIRC the mk5 is back down to a 50 or 55 litre unit.