This is a first.

This is a first.

February 14th, 2018, 6:35 am #1

Was looking up some real-estate on Google maps (a person can dream), when of all things, Google failed. Can't seam to get anything from Google a the moment. Not even Youtube of all things. Either something massive hit their central systems, or someone found the ultimate virus.

When was the last time anyone has not accessed Google recently?

February 14th, 2018, 7:10 am #2

Both planned and unplanned, focused and rolling. I got hit with a series of "prove you are not a robot" prompts over the last week, then suddenly I couldn't access the site for an hour and now it's fine.

I suspect they are under attack from a massive botnet/mining net as a lot of people I know were commenting on the "prove you are not a robot" nonsense.

We were reading about the rise of sneak-mining rigs that have been installed in people's phones and tablets and computers, any time it detects an idle state it fires up and starts mining crypto for whoever is controlling it. Once that becomes mainstream news that's going to be a fun one to explain to the dumbtardens. "no see, Gramps... someone is using your equipment to generate imaginary coins that don't really exist yet are worth millions of real world dollars. That's why you have to install this update..."

TL;DR:

NOTHING IS WRONG.

EVERYTHING IS FINE.

THIS IS OK.

February 14th, 2018, 5:21 pm #3

Was looking up some real-estate on Google maps (a person can dream), when of all things, Google failed. Can't seam to get anything from Google a the moment. Not even Youtube of all things. Either something massive hit their central systems, or someone found the ultimate virus.

When was the last time anyone has not accessed Google recently?
N/T

February 14th, 2018, 5:47 pm #4

Both planned and unplanned, focused and rolling. I got hit with a series of "prove you are not a robot" prompts over the last week, then suddenly I couldn't access the site for an hour and now it's fine.

I suspect they are under attack from a massive botnet/mining net as a lot of people I know were commenting on the "prove you are not a robot" nonsense.

We were reading about the rise of sneak-mining rigs that have been installed in people's phones and tablets and computers, any time it detects an idle state it fires up and starts mining crypto for whoever is controlling it. Once that becomes mainstream news that's going to be a fun one to explain to the dumbtardens. "no see, Gramps... someone is using your equipment to generate imaginary coins that don't really exist yet are worth millions of real world dollars. That's why you have to install this update..."

TL;DR:

NOTHING IS WRONG.

EVERYTHING IS FINE.

THIS IS OK.
"I feel perfectly normal."

On a side note, my own dear mother got tripped up by Gmail's attempts to 'secure' her account, but shutting off 'less secure apps', which resulted in her mail client being refused connections. :eyeroll: Fortuantely, it was an easy fix, but until I looked at it I thought her account had been compromised or something, because That Is A Thing That Happens Far To Often.

February 14th, 2018, 10:22 pm #5

N/T
Merely scheduled