there been post of some crazy and cool projects

there been post of some crazy and cool projects

smorizio
smorizio

March 21st, 2012, 5:24 am #1

google and wired today posted video of an eng student that build custom wings and flew.
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/ ... bird-wings
said he needed 2000w of power to power the wings and it was 180 pounds in total weight.
there some f bombs near the end of the clip so if your at work it may not be 100 work safe.

IDN
IDN

March 21st, 2012, 6:01 am #2

Is it glorified gliding?
Dependent on having wind?
I'm intrigued to say the least, I want to try it to say the most.
I did not think it was possible at all to do what he did. The Icarus approach always seemed an impossibility to me.
I'll have to see move videos of this...

Stumpy
Stumpy

March 21st, 2012, 6:39 am #3

google and wired today posted video of an eng student that build custom wings and flew.
said he needed 2000w of power to power the wings and it was 180 pounds in total weight.
there some f bombs near the end of the clip so if your at work it may not be 100 work safe.
Not claiming to know much of anything about human powered flight other than it's damned difficult but this looks fake to me. I did a little sailing in long past years and they wings are flapping like they have little load on them. His velocity also looks really low. Plenty of commenters on the site are crying wolf too. It'd be cool if it was real but I'll put money on Snopes busting.

FireFrenzy
FireFrenzy

March 21st, 2012, 6:27 pm #4

Dude is definitely dutch... I'd even say he lives somewhere in the "mid west" of NL based on the pronunciation...

Guess we'll know when/if he ever takes those interviews up on their offer... Lemme take a look see if i can scrounge up some dutch language stuff and translate it over...

FireFrenzy
FireFrenzy

March 21st, 2012, 6:31 pm #5

I am inclined to buy it... Also i suspect that the whole rear end of the wings flapping upside down is intentional... Wouldn't have been hard to make it tighter if required...

NZGene
NZGene

March 21st, 2012, 7:40 pm #6

He kept running at the end of the clip. There was no reason to keep running into the trees. Unless...

There appears to be mention of another youtube spoof similar to the running on water stuff and while the flapping part works they couldn't get off the ground unless they were towed by a cable in the same manner as you launch a sailplane. Which explains all the running at the end of the clip...

Now if you wanted to really fly you should just stick with flying the kites they cut up for this project... I do! :O)

J. Cook
J. Cook

March 22nd, 2012, 4:37 am #7

while the wingspan might have been plausible, the flapping action of the backpack was 'off'.

Plus there are what looks like quad/ATV tracks in the video as well which may have been from a tow-assisted take-off.

There are a couple other oddities in the video as well, such as the helper running across the frame at key moments to disguise things.

If I want to go flying, I'm going to go for an ultra-light, or a hang-glider.

Flank
Flank

March 22nd, 2012, 8:52 am #8

I have hard time believing that he was able to raise his legs and keep them straight after take off without some sort of frame or pulley setup. Especially after running and with the bobbing motion in flight.

Even if he had managed to raise and straighten his legs, I think his center of gravity would be too far back for forward flight to be possible. There's a reason flying birds have stilt legs with hollow bones.

Snowtroll
Snowtroll

March 22nd, 2012, 10:11 am #9

1. There's no battery pack to draw the 2KW of power from.

2. Some have calculated that with the wing size and an assumed weight of 100Kg(man and contraption) he'd need a speed of 35mph to get airborne.

3. If you watch the wings you'll see that they're NOT CARRYING A LOAD when flying.
(Take a look at a hang-glider, ultralight or even a kite)

4. How does he keep the feet up in a streamlined position in the later part of the movie?
(Yes hang-glider pilots do it, but they have a supporting harness or 'bodybag')

Strangely enough, when he started this 'project', the first movie was labeleld 1/14... How did he know back then how many movies it would end up as?

If you study the individual frames you'll also find CGI artefacts.

sniper1rfa
sniper1rfa

March 22nd, 2012, 2:44 pm #10

The technical specs aren't actually that out of line.

A LiPoly battery capable of sustained 2kW is not only plausible but downright mundane. Thunder power's largest pack (which weighs about three pounds) is capable of an astounding eleven kW continuous, and more than twice that peak. Motors that powerful are readily available for less than $500 and don't weigh much. The wings aren't actually all that small (a paraglider is hardly bigger, though admittedly they are probably rather more efficient). And so on...

So yeah, fake, but probably not totally unrealistic.