The Ubiquitous PB Crap Magazine

The Ubiquitous PB Crap Magazine

March 3rd, 2017, 4:50 pm #1

Good to see its return!

I'm glad it hasn't gone the way of the dodo like so many others...

Jason

March 3rd, 2017, 5:06 pm #2

"Electric Vs Mechanical -- No Matter Which You Pick Someone Will Mock You"

".50 Cal -- Best Value For Your Budget"

"Tesseract Black Review"

"Speed Wiping For Professional Players"

March 3rd, 2017, 8:20 pm #3

Good to see its return!

I'm glad it hasn't gone the way of the dodo like so many others...

Jason
I couldn't find it, but I was pretty sure a previous cover had "Final Issue!" on it. It was in a b&w comic, I think, so a few years ago. As I said, I couldn't quite find it, but searching for "Jinx with PB Crap magazine" hasn't been put into the wiki yet.

March 4th, 2017, 5:33 am #4

Forgot to add the name. It's done now, but there's only three appearances in the list so far. You'll need to lose the 'with', though, because Wiki doesn't handle prepositions very well.
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.

March 4th, 2017, 8:24 am #5

"Electric Vs Mechanical -- No Matter Which You Pick Someone Will Mock You"

".50 Cal -- Best Value For Your Budget"

"Tesseract Black Review"

"Speed Wiping For Professional Players"
On a similar note, I've had for years an idea to print a special one-off TWB book, in the form of a full-color magazine. Have an article reporting on the outcome of a local tourney at Red's, a marker review by Doc, maybe another by Jinx, a "helpful tech" section by Roger, that sort of thing.

And of course there'd have to be ads for markers and accessories- goggle ads that describe what size heads they fit ("Now in Hippopotamus size!") and for products like special cleaners to get paint stains out of light-colored fur, etc.

The problem being that it would take a HUGE amount of work to pull something like that off, several dozen high-quality full-color pictures, possibly even some CGI pics for things like the markers (and I don't know a single keystroke of CGI modelling) plus some very extensive writing- and as I've said many times, I'm not that good a writer. I can pull off a short gag for a comic strip, but keeping a 1,500-word story both semi-believable and funny? Not easy.

Doc.

March 4th, 2017, 8:37 am #6

I couldn't find it, but I was pretty sure a previous cover had "Final Issue!" on it. It was in a b&w comic, I think, so a few years ago. As I said, I couldn't quite find it, but searching for "Jinx with PB Crap magazine" hasn't been put into the wiki yet.
... That according to the Cast entry, Jinx "[l]oves going through Doc's huge collections of old paintball magazines." Which suggests there's a strong likelihood that Jinx isn't necessarily reading the latest issue- he could be reading whichever one happened to be at the top of the stack that day.

Which, sadly, in real life is pretty much a given- there are no paintball magazines being printed in the US anymore. There's one that's kind of a specialty issue, and has taken almost two years to produce four issues- and they're only available by direct request, direct from the publisher, but as for a monthly newsstand mag? Nope, the last one folded back in something like '08 or '09.

Doc.

March 5th, 2017, 1:22 am #7

If it were an old issue, Jinx wouldn't be asking about all markers coming with two-piece barrels "these days." That makes it sound like something that's only recently started. So if it were an old magazine laying around, he'd more likely ask, "why did people used to go with those two-piece barrels?" or some variation thereof.

Though, I guess it could be the second-to-last issue and still be somewhat contemporary, depending on how often PB Crap Magazine was published. If it was a monthly or bi-monthly (meaning every-other month), and that previous "Jinx With Magazine" comic was from maybe 2 months ago comic-time (as you've mentioned previously, all of TWB takes place over less than a full calendar year or so), then this magazine could only be 4 months old or so...

... Hey, you ever wonder if you're over-analyzing something?... I think I might be doing that now. :P

March 6th, 2017, 1:42 pm #8

On a similar note, I've had for years an idea to print a special one-off TWB book, in the form of a full-color magazine. Have an article reporting on the outcome of a local tourney at Red's, a marker review by Doc, maybe another by Jinx, a "helpful tech" section by Roger, that sort of thing.

And of course there'd have to be ads for markers and accessories- goggle ads that describe what size heads they fit ("Now in Hippopotamus size!") and for products like special cleaners to get paint stains out of light-colored fur, etc.

The problem being that it would take a HUGE amount of work to pull something like that off, several dozen high-quality full-color pictures, possibly even some CGI pics for things like the markers (and I don't know a single keystroke of CGI modelling) plus some very extensive writing- and as I've said many times, I'm not that good a writer. I can pull off a short gag for a comic strip, but keeping a 1,500-word story both semi-believable and funny? Not easy.

Doc.
What if a bunch of us, here in the Guild put together some pieces. Lord Redacted has already suggested doing a cover for example, and I do seem to recall someone on here modeling the cast and parts of the shop in CGI. A lot of the heavy lifting could get done here, then the digital files get sent in to you, you make sure it meets your standards, and send it off to the printers. I guess you could call it an authorized fan-zine..?

I'd buy a copy!

March 6th, 2017, 1:55 pm #9

If it were an old issue, Jinx wouldn't be asking about all markers coming with two-piece barrels "these days." That makes it sound like something that's only recently started. So if it were an old magazine laying around, he'd more likely ask, "why did people used to go with those two-piece barrels?" or some variation thereof.

Though, I guess it could be the second-to-last issue and still be somewhat contemporary, depending on how often PB Crap Magazine was published. If it was a monthly or bi-monthly (meaning every-other month), and that previous "Jinx With Magazine" comic was from maybe 2 months ago comic-time (as you've mentioned previously, all of TWB takes place over less than a full calendar year or so), then this magazine could only be 4 months old or so...

... Hey, you ever wonder if you're over-analyzing something?... I think I might be doing that now. :P
Lots of entry-level guns still come from the factory with one piece barrels. Tippmann, to my knowledge, has yet to sell a gun with a two piece barrel, Azodin sends them off with one piece kits, you still can't buy a Spyder with a two piece out of the box, and I believe everything Empire brands as BT only comes with one piece barrels. When I started playing in '07, high end guns were coming with two piece kits, and that has now trickled down to a lot of "price-point" guns, but the trend is kinda knew, in comparison to when Jinx first showed up in the shop, in real time.