The TWB Codex

The TWB Codex

September 9th, 2017, 10:15 am #1

I had a rare few minutes to kill this evening, and decided to throw together a quick sample of an idea I've had in mind for a while.

I don't know enough about HTML or PHP (or pretty much anything else along those lines) and TWB isn't generated from a database anyway, so I have no idea how I could implement a built-in search system (strip search? ) or how I could properly 'tag' strips with keywords so they could be searched in the first place.

So, I tried the next best thing: The TWB Codex.

It's obviously just beginning, and will undoubtedly evolve- among other things, I'm thinking of adding a counter, since there's considerably more strips than just the current strip number reflects. In that small sample alone, there's four strips not in the numbering sequence.

Anyway, of course to use it, if you're looking for a specific strip, you ctrl-F to find a keyword (or whatever the command is for a Mac. )

I limited the keywords to major characters and set pieces- Doc, Roger, store, counter, powerarmor, etc. I'd considered doing the dialogue, but I'm not sure that would be as helpful, and it'd quadruple the time it'll take to do an already pretty daunting task.

I'm also thinking of splitting it up into years- as in, doing each year as a separate page. A 2,500-entry-long list might be a tad too unweidly, especially for those that will be viewing it on a phone, but that might also complicate trying to search for a specific strip, unless you at least know what year the strip appeared.

And that's not always a sure things, because even I occasionally lose track of when something occurred.

Overall, it's not prefect, but it's doable (with time and effort) and it's better than what we have now, which is pretty much nothing.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed, and if anyone wants to while away a quiet evening doing a couple blocks of strips in the same format, and email it to me as a text file, I sure wouldn't turn down the help.

A hundred strips is about all I can stand doing in an evening, and since I'll only be able to devote maybe one day a week to the project, we're looking at a good solid 25 weeks to get it all caught up.

Let me know what you think.
Doc.

September 9th, 2017, 1:54 pm #2

I think it's a good idea because it's an idea I had a while back. I just didn't have the ambition to actually follow it up.

I don't think dividing the codex into annual parts will be that big of a hindrance. Once a Google spider crawls through it, it'll remember where the keywords are. And even searching each page manually won't take that long if you put links to the previous and next page like you do with the comic. (One request though - if you do that, put links at both the top and bottom of the page, please. Scrolling back to the top of a page to hit the next link gets old.) If the number of parts still seems too unwieldy, 2- or 3-year sections shouldn't be too big.

As for dialogue, somebody with more time than either of us might be able to OCR the strips. It looks like you went to adding text on the computer pretty early. (Either that or your lettering improved a LOT in the space of a day or two.) Having a consistent typeface helps a lot. The resulting text would still need a lot of cleaning up though.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

September 9th, 2017, 10:21 pm #3

I had a rare few minutes to kill this evening, and decided to throw together a quick sample of an idea I've had in mind for a while.

I don't know enough about HTML or PHP (or pretty much anything else along those lines) and TWB isn't generated from a database anyway, so I have no idea how I could implement a built-in search system (strip search? ) or how I could properly 'tag' strips with keywords so they could be searched in the first place.

It's obviously just beginning, and will undoubtedly evolve- among other things, I'm thinking of adding a counter, since there's considerably more strips than just the current strip number reflects. In that small sample alone, there's four strips not in the numbering sequence.

Anyway, of course to use it, if you're looking for a specific strip, you ctrl-F to find a keyword (or whatever the command is for a Mac. )

I limited the keywords to major characters and set pieces- Doc, Roger, store, counter, powerarmor, etc. I'd considered doing the dialogue, but I'm not sure that would be as helpful, and it'd quadruple the time it'll take to do an already pretty daunting task.

I'm also thinking of splitting it up into years- as in, doing each year as a separate page. A 2,500-entry-long list might be a tad too unweidly, especially for those that will be viewing it on a phone, but that might also complicate trying to search for a specific strip, unless you at least know what year the strip appeared.

And that's not always a sure things, because even I occasionally lose track of when something occurred.

Overall, it's not prefect, but it's doable (with time and effort) and it's better than what we have now, which is pretty much nothing.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed, and if anyone wants to while away a quiet evening doing a couple blocks of strips in the same format, and email it to me as a text file, I sure wouldn't turn down the help.

A hundred strips is about all I can stand doing in an evening, and since I'll only be able to devote maybe one day a week to the project, we're looking at a good solid 25 weeks to get it all caught up.

Doc.
You can ask someone to do it for you. I am sure there are people that watch your strip that would think doing that is child's play and would enjoy doing it.

September 10th, 2017, 12:06 am #4

Doc.
I'd be as excited as Roger about such geekery but 2-3 days of prepping for Irma has me a bit wiped.

September 10th, 2017, 4:28 am #5

Doc.
I suppose the main question is, given the current format, does anyone think that's enough information to actually find a relevant strip?

Does anyone NOT think it's enough?

My problem is, I keep thinking about strips where the most memorable part is the dialogue- like the one strip where Red yelled at Roger "What the F**k was THAT?!?" The only real keywords for that strip will be Roger, Red, yelling, paintball field, etc.

But I simply can't transcribe the dialogue of each strip. I'm just not going to live that long. I suppose most people would search for "red yells at roger", which should come up with that strip, but I need a few outside opinions. I'm not exactly an unbiased reviewer here.

And my problem is, I've already put several hours into just that pittance so far. I don't want to get 600 entries downrange and have to go back and add more detail to stuff I've already written. It's horribly time consuming to do it manually this way.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Spare medications?

Doc.

September 10th, 2017, 1:23 pm #6

The things I see as necessary are characters, actions & events, props & costumes, and settings, pretty much in that order of importance. Actions should indicate who performed them, and to whom they were performed. (Costumes only need to be included if they're different from their day-to-day clothing, like Doc's jersey or Sandy's harem girl... whatever that's called.)

Most of my searches are for events, followed closely by dialogue. But encoding events is going to take more brain cycles than just transcribing dialogue; it'll take some thought to create descriptions of the action that's normally shown or implied by the art.

Would reading the dialogue and narrating the action into a text-to-speech program save some times? It wouldn't be ready to publish without a lot of editing, but it might save some time getting the initial words on disk.

September 10th, 2017, 4:46 pm #7

If you do voice to text you can do the description of the scene and events.

Later, if you include a link to the audio file you'd make the strip accessible to the vision impaired.

September 10th, 2017, 7:35 pm #8

Have the world's first audio-only webcomic.

I'm not sure it'd work for TWB, since so many of my gags are visual- how would you describe a laser beam to somebody who has never seen light? Or has no idea what a polar bear looks like?

In any case, if one were to transcribe each comic like that, I could easily see each comic taking two or three "takes", and probably some editing on top of that. That'd take even longer per-strip than the text, and would very definitely take up FAR more storage on the hosting site.

So yeah, neat idea, but probably not workable without some pretty serious investment.

Doc.

September 10th, 2017, 8:23 pm #9

Doc.
Houston, we have a problem, and it's not from the storm.

I just noticed that the "ctrl-F" function of both Chrome and Firefox can't look up more than one individual word. It can look up two (or possibly more) in sequence, such as "inflatable bunker", but it can't look up "Doc" and "goggles".

And that's actually a pretty major blow to this project. I was expecting to be able to, for example, find the one early strip where Roger tests the orbital laser platform, by hitting Ctrl-F and entering "Roger, laser". But it won't do that.

And I just looked into adding a custom Google search to the page, but it very much looks like it won't necessarily give me specifically-located results ON the page, it'll just give me the page the results are on.

Crap. I think we're wasting our time here...

Doc.

September 10th, 2017, 10:02 pm #10

Have the world's first audio-only webcomic.

I'm not sure it'd work for TWB, since so many of my gags are visual- how would you describe a laser beam to somebody who has never seen light? Or has no idea what a polar bear looks like?

In any case, if one were to transcribe each comic like that, I could easily see each comic taking two or three "takes", and probably some editing on top of that. That'd take even longer per-strip than the text, and would very definitely take up FAR more storage on the hosting site.

So yeah, neat idea, but probably not workable without some pretty serious investment.

Doc.
Or a radio drama, like the Foglios have done on occasion?

But yeah, as far as I know there's no "Undo" button on an audio recorder.