Tell us about the DOXcnc..

September 14th, 2018, 11:06 am #1

11-axis,  FTL tool-change,  quantum coolant,  magnatomic work-holding,  nano-configurable self-sharpening tooling....  

Or is it some kind of Harbor Freight re-badge of Haas's version of the latest Mori Seki?
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

September 14th, 2018, 3:21 pm #2

Lord [Redacted] wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 11:06 am
magnatomic work-holding
Seems like that would make it harder to get rid of swarf. Although I suppose you could try some sort of polarity reversing gimmick to actually repel cuttings away from the work.

Of course if Roger was developing it, on the first live test the field strength would be too high and the chips would end up embedded in the safety cover and/or Doc's goggles.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

September 14th, 2018, 3:31 pm #3

Homemade paintballs.  He's crafting them, one at a time.  Takes a while to fill up those containers.

Have a care when you're on the field, just don't fire away randomly - that paint was precision made.

September 14th, 2018, 5:56 pm #4

36 axis, simultaneous additive and subtractive machining, can have up to two dozen cutters, half a dozen print heads (including laser-sintering) and a spot-welder actually on the workpiece at the same time, 750HP spindle (there's a driveshaft to a surplus Cummins turbodiesel in the next room) with 5,500 IPM rapids and uses watered-down Baja Blast for coolant. 😁

Besides that, it re-smelts its own chips into new billets to minimize waste.

On a slightly more realistic note- only slightly 😋- I'd been thinking of having a sticker cut for the control box of my Logan conversion, that says "DOXCNC", in an industrial font.

Early on in the Logan build, too, I'd been considering doing up a full enclosure, so that I could run flood coolant. I drew up several ideas, but the simple fact is, it was going to be pretty hard to properly seal the steppers and belt drives- the best I could hope for was basically little more than "splash resistant".

I figured if I did make a decent enclosure, I'd paint it and put similar DOXCNC stickers on it.

But, the Logan is really just a placeholder, a stepping stone between a standard manual lathe and a "real" CNC lathe. It was never going to be ideal, it just had to be functional. And since the plan was to revert it back to an engine or turret lathe once I had a proper CNC, I didn't want to drill a bunch of bolt holes to attach an enclosure.

But, I could still put a sticker on the Shapeoko router enclosure... 😁

Doc.

September 14th, 2018, 6:51 pm #5

On a slightly more realistic note- only slightly 😋- I'd been thinking of having a sticker cut for the control box of my Logan conversion, that says "DOXCNC", in an industrial font.
As a font suggestion, I really like how the font on the 1970s and 1980s Caterpillar logos look. They use the eurostile font.

https://typekit.com/fonts/eurostile

September 14th, 2018, 7:55 pm #6

That reminds me, I need to look up prices for acrylic sheets to make a custom see-through side cover for the half cabinet I have at home; I'm going to install a shelf in it and put my 3-D printer in there as a 'not-quite-custom' enclosure. (and largely for dust and draft abatement.)

*looks at prices for full sheet of 1/4" stock* whoa. maybe not that thick...

September 14th, 2018, 8:20 pm #7

Do you know what the unbelievable part is? Standing next to a running machine while having a conversation on a cell phone.

September 14th, 2018, 8:29 pm #8

jecook wrote: *looks at prices for full sheet of 1/4" stock* whoa. maybe not that thick...
The windows in a Hurco VMC are 1/2" polycarbonate, there's a reason why they're that thick..

September 14th, 2018, 9:28 pm #9

DocsMachine wrote: 36 axis, simultaneous additive and subtractive machining, can have up to two dozen cutters, half a dozen print heads (including laser-sintering) and a spot-welder actually on the workpiece at the same time, 750HP spindle (there's a driveshaft to a surplus Cummins turbodiesel in the next room) with 5,500 IPM rapids and uses watered-down Baja Blast for coolant.
So it can do chemical etching as well?  Impressive.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

September 14th, 2018, 11:02 pm #10

PoisonOakMagnet wrote: Homemade paintballs.  He's crafting them, one at a time.  Takes a while to fill up those containers.

Have a care when you're on the field, just don't fire away randomly - that paint was precision made.
Wouldn't that be done on the turning center?