Teachable Moment: Filling Out Emergency-Contact Forms

Teachable Moment: Filling Out Emergency-Contact Forms

October 29th, 2017, 3:22 am #1

I was present at Portland Int'l Raceway today for an amateur-level endurance-racing event. (No names, no pack drill.)

One of the corner workers suffered a Major Heart Attack -- "major" here being a word meaning "he was a f***in' corpse at one point".

The victim is alive, and recovering.

BUT....

When event officials called the number the victim had written on his contact form...

..THE VICTIM'S OWN CELL PHONE RANG.

Now, I should not have to explain to anyone here why putting one's own number on an emergency-contact form is a F***in' Stupid Idea. I should only need to say: Don't do it.

[soapbox back in closet]
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

October 29th, 2017, 5:41 am #2

if you have and med info that should be passed along. put it on a usb drive (red) paint the white simple that medical alert uses. put a card in your wallet that says medical info on stick. it can save you from doctors giving you something that can kill you or tell the doc your on a blood thinner.

October 29th, 2017, 6:11 pm #3

I think that medical alert bracelets are a good idea because they're not as easy to lose as a wallet. Some of them have USB drives, too.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ELITE-USB-2G ... /812207988
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

October 29th, 2017, 9:10 pm #4

Under such circumstances, multiple layers of protection would seem to be a Good Thing.

I'd be a little leery of USB drives; there might not be something which can use one nearby, and/or there's a chance of the drive not working properly. Most drivers I know use a ziploc-type bag with relevant info printed on a sheet inside, kept in a pocket or on a lanyard.
CF

October 30th, 2017, 1:57 am #5

I was present at Portland Int'l Raceway today for an amateur-level endurance-racing event. (No names, no pack drill.)

One of the corner workers suffered a Major Heart Attack -- "major" here being a word meaning "he was a f***in' corpse at one point".

BUT....

When event officials called the number the victim had written on his contact form...

Now, I should not have to explain to anyone here why putting one's own number on an emergency-contact form is a F***in' Stupid Idea. I should only need to say: Don't do it.

[soapbox back in closet]
Another useful thing you can do is program "In Case of Emergency", ICE, contacts into your mobile phone contacts list.

While some phones may require a pin, password, or bio-metric login, in many cases an emergency responder will be able use the phone to reach your designated emergency contact(s).
AD ASTRA, AUT VIAM INVENIUM AUT FACIUM

October 30th, 2017, 2:28 am #6

BUT....

[soapbox back in closet]
I have known several people with no relatives and no close friends so nobody to call in case of emergency. Having health information handy in case of emergency everyone can do, but not everyone has somebody that should be notified.

October 30th, 2017, 7:23 am #7

Calling someone else is not vital.

October 30th, 2017, 1:23 pm #8

Under such circumstances, multiple layers of protection would seem to be a Good Thing.

I'd be a little leery of USB drives; there might not be something which can use one nearby, and/or there's a chance of the drive not working properly. Most drivers I know use a ziploc-type bag with relevant info printed on a sheet inside, kept in a pocket or on a lanyard.
Apple's health app is setup so that you can enter medical information and emergency personal can access it even when it's locked.

October 30th, 2017, 10:09 pm #9

I have known several people with no relatives and no close friends so nobody to call in case of emergency. Having health information handy in case of emergency everyone can do, but not everyone has somebody that should be notified.
...we can work around the matter.
CF