Bringing this one back up for the moment, I'd ordered a VFD for this grinder, somewhat ironically shortly before finding the new grinder, and it came in a few days after bought the other one.
It's a sealed housing, actually washdown-tight, which is commonly used for this kind of grinder, in order to keep dust- potentially conductive
dust- out of the electronics. As such, I wanted some dust-tight cable connectors, and had to order some, as nothing like these were available here in town.
I got the ends properly terminated and everything solidly connected.
I then opened up the Baldor motor, which was basically new-old-stock, having been on a shelf at the local oil refinery for probably 20 years, before they threw it away for being the wrong voltage. And then I've had it for nearly a decade myself, and this is likely the first time it's been connected to anything since it was tested at the factory.
How'd it do? Runs like a champ, smooth and quiet, and I even got the wiring right the first time so it turns the correct direction. You can't tell, but it's turning in this photo. :D
So I then checked my stash, found a belt of about the right size, slipped it on, and turned the grinder itself for the first time ever:
And it, too, worked great! The motor, of course, is not bolted to anything, so I had to hold it im place while it was running- and i couldn't do that and get a picture, so no, it's not running in that photo. :)
But now I have to figure out how to properly mount that motor. I have a couple of ideas, including one that will be kind of a 'radical departure' change, but at the moment, this machine has dropped a bit in priority, and I need to noodle the mods a bit more before I start cutting.