Y'allrighty. With the motor and power supply sorted, and some new cable ordered, about the only things left to do are the guide arms and the drive wheels.
The guide arms were looking a bit shabby...
So they were next up on the docket. I'd been using the saw for a couple of years before discovering that the arms were on backwards- or at least somebody had moved the blade brush from the rear arm, where it's supposed to be, to the front arm.
But that'll be an easy fix. The old brushes are, as they say, rather perished- they were long since gone to meet their maker when I got the saw, and I've had it ten years now.
I have some coarse plastic-fiber brushes that came off one of those treadmills I dismantled years ago, and I can cut each one into short sections. That'll give me plenty of brushes to last many years on this badboy.
Each guide-roller assembly has two sets of setscrew adjusters, one for the roller assembly itself, and one for the plate the assembly bolts to.
I'm still checking, but I think
the plate adjustment is for basic in-out, to line up the arm with the blade, while the roller plate is of course to true the blade to be square to the axis of the cut.
And, of course, one thing I noticed early on when trying to adjust the blade years ago, but never got around to fixing:
Gods know what kind of crash they had to pop that thing off, but I guess I'll have to figure out some way to fix it.
A few more minutes got the rest disassembled, and it was time to start cleaning. The roller adjusters and some other bits were heavily caked with dried oil or coolant, so the little jar has some solvent, and I'm letting them soak for a day or two.
Now, the one thing that's always bugged me about this machine, is this: One of the guide arms had been snapped off at the top clamp at some point, and badly rewelded.
I'm not yet sure exactly what I want to do with it yet. It seemed to be holding, although it looks like a crack in the lower weld, coming off the left side (down from about 10:00 on the weld) so it may at least need a grind-out and re-reweld.
Of course, it's also both MIG and stick weld (you can see a bit of MIG wire at that bottom lump) which means it was welded, broken, and welded again- OR, the stick wasn't holding and they piled some MIG on it, or vice-versa.
I'll at least clean up the welds, of course, and may have to grind out and redo some of it. Going over the old weld shouldn't be too much of a problem, my question is, I'd like to reinforce it, and that means welding to some of the unmolested cast iron. I have the Muggy rod, but I'm not yet entirely sure how well that goes between mild steel and the cast. I seem to recall it's supposed to do just fine, but I might have to experiment first.
Oh, and those thumbscrews, besides being the wrong ones (I'm sure the originals with the Bakelite handles were destroyed years ago) apparently enough big-bruiser types had used this saw often enough that the ends of the screws were actually peened down- the screw was too fat to be removed from the hole.
So I had to wind 'em in all the way, cinch 'em both in place, and bandsaw off about a quarter of an inch of the end.
I'll make replacements for them both, something with a little more leverage than those thumb screws- I may try and come up with a little "pad" for the end, too, though I'm not sure how I might do that. Maybe just a small thick disc with a dimple ball-milled into the middle, and a matching radius turned into the screw.
I'll figure it out.