Summer Project #3: Nickels' Nichols

Summer Project #3: Nickels' Nichols

May 15th, 2018, 10:57 pm #1

The third on our hit parade of machines at least has the benefit of being an easy mod; Just the table and saddle need to be ground to finish, and the grinding shop will take care of all of that.

I've had this machine since '09 or so, and while it's been handy, it has never been perfect due to the wear in the middle of the table travel. The rest of the machine is in fine shape, having been nearly fully rebuilt just a few years ago, so once the table and saddle are back, she should be back up to damn near 100% again.

Of course, I'm thinking I'll complicate matters by painting it. 😁 I was never really happy with the so-light-it's-nearly-white grey, it was one of the first machines I ever properly painted, and I learned a hard lesson in the difference between what the color looks like in the chip book at the store and what it looks like in the shop under the different lights.

Doc.

May 16th, 2018, 2:32 am #2

So why couldn't you just plop the bed on your grinder?

May 16th, 2018, 4:15 am #3

TheFnord wrote:So why couldn't you just plop the bed on your grinder?
-Plop a 32" bed on my 16"-of-travel grinder? 😁

Even my Grizzly mill doesn't have the table throw to mill the Nichols table all in one go. The Exacto does, and I'd been toying with the idea of doing that- milling the ways a little more true, if not quite as precisely as grinding.

But like the rest of it, I'd been kind of holding fire 'til this out-of-state trip was either made or positively cancelled. And, as the grinder is a professional, with many years of experience at this sort of thing, rather than making it "somewhat better", he should be able to make it "damn near perfect".

Then, with a bit of care and regular lubrication, chances are it'll outlive me and still be in top shape for my epic estate sale. 😁

Doc.

May 16th, 2018, 12:55 pm #4

As you repaint things have you ever considered leaving a sketch underneath the paint? It might make your epic estate sale even more epic if people think they may find some of your original art hidden inside.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

May 16th, 2018, 4:39 pm #5

I wonder how much I increased the value of the new wall at work when I hid my business card in before the sheetrock went up.