August 8th, 2018, 5:58 am #61

Hey_Allen wrote:If you're interested, I have a pile of 1/4npt bulkhead fittings and the jam nuts to secure them.
-I appreciate the offer, and I'll keep you in mind, but I'm not sure that's the way I want to go.

See, that's part of why I'm having to ponder this a bit. I don't want the QD sticking out too far, as that spot right under the vise is kind of a busy spot. I use that vise a lot, including holding long rod vertically, and I don't want anything sticking out too far that might interfere.

I want to go with a fairly flush mount of some kind, to minimize that, and may even put a 90-degree elbow on it to point the QD straight down.

Also, this is a drop, down from the main line- I'll almost have to have a water drain on it. I could probably get away without, as this particular port will likely never see anything beyond a blowgun, but even then- actually, especially then- I don't want a bunch of water being blown out into the part I'm trying to clean off by blowing air at it. 😁

Of course, if I use that big line dryer and keep up on the desiccant, that'll never really be a problem, so...

Lemme think about it. How thick a bulkhead can they go through? I assume they're 1/4" NPT female on both ends?

Doc.

August 8th, 2018, 6:29 am #62

Re silica: I've seen smaller paper covered packets that could be dried by putting them in an oven for several hours  Don't know if yours can be done the same way. 

August 8th, 2018, 12:38 pm #63

Antknot wrote: Re silica: I've seen smaller paper covered packets that could be dried by putting them in an oven for several hours  Don't know if yours can be done the same way. 
Safety Warning: Do not eat the silica gel!

I've never tried it myself, but from all the hype, it must be better than Tide pods. 😁

August 8th, 2018, 7:01 pm #64

Typeminer wrote:
Antknot wrote: Re silica: I've seen smaller paper covered packets that could be dried by putting them in an oven for several hours  Don't know if yours can be done the same way. 
Safety Warning: Do not eat the silica gel!

I've never tried it myself, but from all the hype, it must be better than Tide pods. 😁
From what I understand from looking at the intertubes, the desiccant material (if it's the silica bead/gel type)  can be baked in an oven to reactivate it. YMMV, it's advisable to research your specific type of material. 😁

August 8th, 2018, 7:24 pm #65

jecook wrote: From what I understand from looking at the intertubes, the desiccant material (if it's the silica bead/gel type)  can be baked in an oven to reactivate it. YMMV, it's advisable to research your specific type of material. 😁
There are dehumidifier pucks for electronics and firearm storage that are rechargeable. They have a little color dot that changes when they're saturated (from the colors I suspect it's cobalt chloride) and can be recharged by baking.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

August 8th, 2018, 8:15 pm #66

RE: The dessicant air dryer.  Open it up and pour the beads out into a baking pan or three, and you can bake it in the oven at ~225 or so overnight to regenerate it. It lasts for years if it doesn't get oil contaminated, and you can buy a couple pounds of new beads with the pink/blue moisture indicator mixed in to see when it's done.

Silica Gel Desiccant is downright cheap in bulk and not a lot more in a gallon paint can prepacked in paper bags - we GTE cable monkeys used to just toss the bags and not bother with the baking and reuse.  And not Hazmat.   

About the only time you *really* need the air that dry is when you're spraying paint, blowing off laser lenses and precision optics, or running micro air tools (dental handpieces and micro die grinders) where having the tool freeze up from the expansion chilling could be a problem. 

And if you start painting cars regularly in the summer you want a refrigerated air dryer on the output of the compressor, main feed to the whole shop, and the desiccant dryer is the final insurance policy before the paint booth feed. 

And QUIT THAT with the Roller Painting on the Toronado.    It's an Oldsmobile, not a Porch. 😱

August 8th, 2018, 11:22 pm #67

BruceBergman wrote: And QUIT THAT with the Roller Painting on the Toronado.    It's an Oldsmobile, not a Porch. 😱
There's a few places where an Oldsmobile is their porch. /rimshot

August 8th, 2018, 11:28 pm #68

DocsMachine wrote:I assume they're 1/4" NPT female on both ends?
That would be correct.
Drill a 3/4" hole, drop the bulkhead fitting in the hole, and tighten the nut onto it from the opposite side.

Similar to the one here:
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/67886

August 9th, 2018, 5:44 am #69

BruceBergman wrote:And QUIT THAT with the Roller Painting on the Toronado.    It's an Oldsmobile, not a Porch. 😱
-Hey, I'd love to do the bodywork and do a proper paintjob to that bomb. I've been wanting to do that for ten years. 😁 But at the moment, I simply don't have either the time nor the money nor, for that matter, the space to do it. The slapdash paint, as I said, is basically a form-fitting tarp, something just there to help protect the metal a little better than my 20-year-old spray paint.

If I had a nice, dry, heated warehouse I could store it in, I wouldn't have bothered. 😋 But I don't, and I can't afford the $200+ a month it'd cost to rent heated storage for it. This was the best I could do given my constraints of time, income and facilities.

Doc.

August 9th, 2018, 5:47 am #70

That's pretty much what I figured it was, Allen, and thank you again but I think I'm going to pass.

The problem here is that this connection is at the bottom of a drop-leg, and therefore needs a drain as well. I suppose I could screw a run tee to the back of it, and thread a small valve into it, but I've been thinking of milling a custom block that'll keep the QD fairly low profile and reasonably out of the way.

Doc.