Suggestions for shipping something heavy?

Suggestions for shipping something heavy?

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

February 29th, 2012, 11:31 am #1

Guild regular and this month's official extra-cool guy 68VDub managed to score me one of those Rusnok mini-mills from that college auction, for a pretty good price.

He's picked it up, cleaned it up, given it a cursory examination, and crated it in order to get 'er shipped up to me. Altogether, it'll be a 250-pound package.

Now, the tricky part; Getting it shipped from Arken-saw (roughly ZIP 71913) to either my consolidator in Washington (ZIP 98424) or all the way up here (ZIP 99635).

Fed-Ex, at least their online app without an account, gives us a quote of nearly $2,000. UPS gives us a much more reasonable but still pretty steep $585 or so. To Washington, it's "only" $312. (Though I have to make a guess on the "class" of freight. That's proprietary data they don't put out in public.)

I expect the consolidator to tack another $100 at least on top of that.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I know fuel costs are up and all that, but the cost of shipping is going to be twice what I'd expected. When I had the Grizzly shipped up- admittedly a decade ago- it was over a ton and only cost $600. This Rusnok is a tenth that and looks to cost nearly as much...

Doc.

Renegade_Azzy
Renegade_Azzy

February 29th, 2012, 1:04 pm #2

Pitt-Ohio, but they link up with these other carriershttp://www.thereliancenetwork.com/service-centers/

Might be worth calling one and seeing if they can arrange the shipment up to one of the carriers that ships to Alaska.

Timberwolf
Timberwolf

February 29th, 2012, 1:10 pm #3

Guild regular and this month's official extra-cool guy 68VDub managed to score me one of those Rusnok mini-mills from that college auction, for a pretty good price.

He's picked it up, cleaned it up, given it a cursory examination, and crated it in order to get 'er shipped up to me. Altogether, it'll be a 250-pound package.

Now, the tricky part; Getting it shipped from Arken-saw (roughly ZIP 71913) to either my consolidator in Washington (ZIP 98424) or all the way up here (ZIP 99635).

Fed-Ex, at least their online app without an account, gives us a quote of nearly $2,000. UPS gives us a much more reasonable but still pretty steep $585 or so. To Washington, it's "only" $312. (Though I have to make a guess on the "class" of freight. That's proprietary data they don't put out in public.)

Anyone have any other suggestions? I know fuel costs are up and all that, but the cost of shipping is going to be twice what I'd expected. When I had the Grizzly shipped up- admittedly a decade ago- it was over a ton and only cost $600. This Rusnok is a tenth that and looks to cost nearly as much...

Doc.
Fedex and UPS will do 150lbs through their normal ground delivery.

I remember shipping a complete 4L60e transmission in a rubber maid tote filled with pillows and strapped shut, and coming in about 4lbs under their limit.

I've also used Greyhound and Amtrak to ship large, bulky items on the cheap.

NCogNeato
NCogNeato

February 29th, 2012, 2:24 pm #4

Doc.
I would suggest talking to one of the major moving lines, such as Allied or United.

If they have a truck heading in that direction with space on it, they might have a more reasonable fee for the shipping.

MarkF
MarkF

February 29th, 2012, 4:01 pm #5

Doc.
Just have it dismantled (with pics, perhaps) before shipping and mail it in flat rate boxes.

Even if you can just get the per-piece weight under 50lbs you will likely save a pretty pile of nickles.

MarkF
MarkF

February 29th, 2012, 4:03 pm #6

Try Uship.com (or whatever site the ShippingWars people use to find work).

Silcas
Silcas

February 29th, 2012, 4:24 pm #7

Doc.
Doc, you might call up Lynden Transport or Carlile and see what they'll quote you. If its a pallet load, it shouldn't be too crazy.

Stu Friedberg
Stu Friedberg

February 29th, 2012, 5:17 pm #8

Doc.
> When I had the Grizzly shipped up- admittedly a decade ago-
> it was over a ton and only cost $600. This Rusnok is a tenth that and
> looks to cost nearly as much...

Last year I wanted to buy another Pennco Clipper shelving unit. Weight with requested extra shelves: 188lb. Price: $262. Motor freight from Utah to Oregon: $177.

I didn't feel like paying a 67% shipping premium, so I asked for a quote on enough shelving to fill a new storage room. Weight: 1,054lb. Price: $1,247. Motor freight: $281.

$177 to send 188lb, $282 to send 1,054lb. Go figure.

For heavy stuff, I've gotten good prices from the LandStar network of independent operators. It helps that LandStar colocated a hub with the riggers I use. Maybe you can score a less-than-truckload (LTL) deal using one of the freight operator websites?

Irregular Logic
Irregular Logic

February 29th, 2012, 5:58 pm #9

Doc.
There should be a few in your area (and the seller's) that specialize in hauling heavy packages.

February 29th, 2012, 6:43 pm #10

Doc.
same state not location

I would find one or two and see if you can play them against each other

as whether is is cheaper for pallet load or not

I'd give up half my paintball collection for such a fine tooL

AK -- Anchorage -- Alaska Air Forwarding -- 907-248-4697
AK -- Anchorage -- Alaska Vehicle Transport -- 907-561-2899
AK -- Anchorage -- Century Air Forwarders -- 907-258-4949
AK -- Anchorage -- Lynden Air Freight Inc -- 907-243-6150
AK -- Anchorage -- Lynden Transport Inc -- 907-276-4800
local as in the same state no location

AK -- Anchorage -- Northern Consolidators -- 907-276-5776
AK -- Anchorage -- PNS -- 907-279-0606
AK -- Anchorage -- Seka Air Freight -- 907-563-3615
AK -- Anchorage -- Surfair -- 907-248-1212
AK -- Cordova -- Eyak Trucking -- 907-424-7420
AK -- Cordova -- Samson Tug & Barge -- 907-424-3399
AK -- Fairbanks -- AIR Data Express -- 907-474-0999
AK -- Fairbanks -- AIR Freight Services -- 907-474-9225
AK -- Fairbanks -- Arctic Freight Brokers Inc -- 907-452-3001
AK -- Fairbanks -- Claypoole & Sons Cartage -- 907-456-8912
AK -- Fairbanks -- Danzas Corporation -- 907-452-7129
AK -- Fairbanks -- Loomis Armored Inc -- 907-474-0197
AK -- Fairbanks -- Lynden Air Freight Inc -- 907-456-7882
AK -- Fairbanks -- Roadrunner Expediting -- 907-457-2182
AK -- Fairbanks -- Snow Goose Delivery Services -- 907-452-1369
AK -- Homer -- Alaska Cargo Transport -- 907-235-6008
AK -- Homer -- DHL Worldwide Express -- 907-235-5244
AK -- Juneau -- Viking Freight Systems -- 907-586-9488
AK -- Kenai -- Totem Ocean Trailer Exprss Inc -- 907-283-9259
AK -- Kodiak -- Island Provider Trnsprtn Co -- 907-487-2620
AK -- Seward -- City Express -- 907-224-5600
AK -- Sitka -- Samson Tug & Barge Co -- 907-747-3020
AK -- Soldotna -- McKenzie Transportation -- 907-262-9383
AK -- Soldotna -- Pacific Alaska Forwarders Inc -- 907-262-6137

Low quality cheap rip offs take no time and leave your pockets empty.