suggestion for a comic arch

suggestion for a comic arch

Curt in MN
Curt in MN

December 26th, 2011, 3:32 pm #1

Hey Doc, I have a suggestion for a comic arch. Last summer our paper had an article on the recommended home owner tool kit; pliers, screw driver assortment, hammer, saw, drill, tapes, glues, screws and nails, ect. I would be interested in seeing Docs and Rogers ideas on the must have tools in your personal tool kit and how to use them properly and how you can extend their normal functions. Presented in a Tool Time or Myth Buster hosted TV show format. Getting the other characters involved as demonstrators (victims) would be fun. (Im seeing Swamps on fire from a demonstration gone wrong.) And we, the loyal readers, could write in letters from the viewers to ask questions about tools and projects for Doc to answer or demonstrate. An idea for the name of the show could be Docs Workshop.

Danny Beans
Danny Beans

December 26th, 2011, 11:15 pm #2

I'm reminded of The Red Green Show. "Remember: any tool can be the right tool."

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

December 26th, 2011, 11:55 pm #3

Hey Doc, I have a suggestion for a comic arch. Last summer our paper had an article on the recommended home owner tool kit; pliers, screw driver assortment, hammer, saw, drill, tapes, glues, screws and nails, ect. I would be interested in seeing Docs and Rogers ideas on the must have tools in your personal tool kit and how to use them properly and how you can extend their normal functions. Presented in a Tool Time or Myth Buster hosted TV show format. Getting the other characters involved as demonstrators (victims) would be fun. (Im seeing Swamps on fire from a demonstration gone wrong.) And we, the loyal readers, could write in letters from the viewers to ask questions about tools and projects for Doc to answer or demonstrate. An idea for the name of the show could be Docs Workshop.
I've had vague ideas of something like that for a while now- not necessarily tools in general, but more of a TV-show format product review thing, or a how-to for simple things like cleaning a marker or something.

The only real problem with something like that, is that it's hard to jam a nice review or even a lightly-detailed how-to, into just three to five panels. And breaking a longer one up into segments is almost as hard, trying to keep each strip at least mildly amusing without wandering too far off topic.

It's not impossible, of course, and I do, in fact, already have stacks of notes or suggestions for things to that effect, I just haven't fund the right inspiration or enthusiasm for it yet.

As for the next story arc, the next week or so will be more or less random nonsense, a good chunk of January will be the new Cast pages (and probably the occasional strip, even if it's a Scraps) and then we'll head back into the girls getting ready for and going to the tourney.

Not that there won't be other things in there, or the usual holiday sidetracks and the like, but the tourney is the only thing I have planned at the moment.

Doc.

Curt in MN
Curt in MN

December 27th, 2011, 2:11 am #4

I'm reminded of The Red Green Show. "Remember: any tool can be the right tool."
Not to gloat over my good fortune For Xmas, She Who Must Be Obeyed, gave me tickets to the Wit & Wisdom Tour of Red Green coming to the O Shaughnessy theater in May. (She used the silver duck tape on the envelope. What a sweetie!)

Robert The Addled
Robert The Addled

December 27th, 2011, 11:20 pm #5

Sounds like a description of a Muppet Labs segment. I REALLY doubt Doc would sound like Professor Bunsen Honeydew however.

Curt in MN
Curt in MN

December 28th, 2011, 4:03 am #6

But Swampy would sound more like Adam or Tory.

MephitMark
MephitMark

December 28th, 2011, 8:38 pm #7

I've had vague ideas of something like that for a while now- not necessarily tools in general, but more of a TV-show format product review thing, or a how-to for simple things like cleaning a marker or something.

The only real problem with something like that, is that it's hard to jam a nice review or even a lightly-detailed how-to, into just three to five panels. And breaking a longer one up into segments is almost as hard, trying to keep each strip at least mildly amusing without wandering too far off topic.

It's not impossible, of course, and I do, in fact, already have stacks of notes or suggestions for things to that effect, I just haven't fund the right inspiration or enthusiasm for it yet.

As for the next story arc, the next week or so will be more or less random nonsense, a good chunk of January will be the new Cast pages (and probably the occasional strip, even if it's a Scraps) and then we'll head back into the girls getting ready for and going to the tourney.

Not that there won't be other things in there, or the usual holiday sidetracks and the like, but the tourney is the only thing I have planned at the moment.

Doc.
Back in the 1990's, I used to attend tours with the local chapter of SME, to various companies. Tours included the local North Star Steel foundry, NSP Sherco gigawatt plant, among a large list of places.

What kind of mayhem could be wrought if a bunch of kids were to run loose? Start our with perhaps high school kids, and work down to kindergartners.

By the end I'm sure Doc would be outfitting every one with rapid fire tranquilizer guns.

MephitMark
MephitMark

December 29th, 2011, 7:46 pm #8

Not to gloat over my good fortune For Xmas, She Who Must Be Obeyed, gave me tickets to the Wit & Wisdom Tour of Red Green coming to the O Shaughnessy theater in May. (She used the silver duck tape on the envelope. What a sweetie!)
I wonder if I could get tickets for my mother and myself.

I wonder what would happen if Red Green and company were to 'mix it up' with Larry the Cable Guy?