Steel recommendations to make an ER-40 collet chuck?

Steel recommendations to make an ER-40 collet chuck?

y0da900
y0da900

November 26th, 2011, 11:36 pm #1

I have a Grizzly 9x19, and want to make a spindle mounted ER-40 collet chuck. I currently have an MT3 to ER-40 collet chuck and a full set of collets for it, that is why I intend to go that route opposed to some other type. But I would like to regain the ability to feed stock through the spindle.

While I have the dimensions for the collet chuck, I'm not real sure what the recommended material to make the chuck out of would be. Looking at what other people have done for similar projects, the typical choice is whatever they happen to have floating around or can get as cheaply as possible. Most of them also have crappy results that take remachining the thing 5 times because they get a piece with random hard spots in it. While I'd like to keep it inexpensive, I'd rather not make a ridiculous sacrifice in longevity by saving 5 dollars on a bad piece of metal for the application.

Thanks

Russ Kepler
Russ Kepler

November 27th, 2011, 4:38 am #2

It really depends on the amount of use you expect to put it to and the facilities you have. If you're not going to use it overmuch and expect to be fairly careful you can make it as Hardinge makes some of their step chucks and mounts - from cast iron (using Durabar or the like). If you expect to give it more hard use and don't have a toolpost grinder or HT equipment you might consider 1144 or 4140HT - both machine nicely, taking a good finish and are usually are hard enough for something like this. Finally, if you've got some decent equipment you might make it from 1065 or something similar, harden it grind the taper in place.

y0da900
y0da900

November 27th, 2011, 5:04 am #3

Provided I'm not damaged (recurring pulled muscle in back) keeping me out of the shop, I typically put 20-40 hours a week in, most of which is at the lathe. So it will get a fair amount of use. But the equipment I have is relatively basic, so I think I'll give either the 1144 or the 4140HT a try.

Thanks.

Russ Kepler
Russ Kepler

November 27th, 2011, 5:18 pm #4

You can often find bar ends on eBay. No spec but even normalized 4140 would be fair for the application. If you're anywhere near Albuquerque I could spot you some 1.5" stock I have spare.

y0da900
y0da900

November 27th, 2011, 9:30 pm #5

I actually snagged some on ebay last night, but thank you. I've been getting more and more of my metal there lately. Even shipped they tend to be a better deal than getting at the local metal yard.