8:31 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #161

hinermad wrote:
Antknot wrote: No concerts worked testing ammo for the GAU-8/A first job out of tech school. 
Cool! I had a friend who did field service for a company that made batch mixing equipment, and one of his clients was a plant that made (among other things) ammo for the Avenger cannon. He had a photo of an artillery projectile in flight with his name written on it in white paint. He joked that he'd never die because the "bullet with his name on it" had already been fired.
Don't worry about the one with your name, worry about the one addressed to "Current Resident".

8:43 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #162

... I thought that was grenades?

I know that nukes are "screw you and your entire zip code", and I'm not sure, but I think magnisium rods dropped from orbit are "screw you and your entire city". :) (And please, correct me if I'm wrong, or if you have a better list. 😁 )

8:57 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #163

...checking in with Chelyabinsk...
Anything from orbit bigger than a Buick is usually bad news.

9:35 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #164

I've always heard close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear weaponry.  Now add meteors too.

10:12 PM - Oct 09, 2018 #165

jecook wrote: ... I thought that was grenades?

I know that nukes are "screw you and your entire zip code", and I'm not sure, but I think magnisium rods dropped from orbit are "screw you and your entire city". :) (And please, correct me if I'm wrong, or if you have a better list. 😁 )
I believe the accepted order to issue to a gunner using a full-auto grenade launcher is "Eff that guy over there, and everyone within 30 meters of him."
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

12:58 AM - Oct 10, 2018 #166

does that..... have you soldered mains leads to a 12V power supply there in the bottom right?

O_o

I'm a crazy daughter of a vixen, and even I'm not crazy enough to do that.... at least not sober.

I am.... impressed.... and intrigued.... and...... also curious.

I'd love to see a wiring diagram for that thing, bigclive style for preference. 

:-)

5:43 AM - Oct 10, 2018 #167

Accalia Elementia wrote: does that..... have you soldered mains leads to a 12V power supply there in the bottom right?

O_o

I'm a crazy daughter of a vixen, and even I'm not crazy enough to do that.... at least not sober.

I am.... impressed.... and intrigued.... and...... also curious.

I'd love to see a wiring diagram for that thing, bigclive style for preference. 

:-)
ummmmm... <sheepish>.. ya...

Not supposed to look THAT close.. Yes I had to get an aftermarket 12v powersupply, the 12v coming from the PC powersupply could not run the CRT, which needs around 2amps on startup and then consumes close to 1. I tried but it just wouldn't do it. The brick right below it is a 24v supply which runs both the Tesla Coil and the relays (which I have not yet mounted)

So I had a choice. Jam in a power strip or just solder it directly. I chose the latter for space, and kept the 120VAC in the lower right, which I intend to shield with a big piece of plexiglass or something from curled fingers, but I think that risk is low. My intention is to re-solder that and add some shrink-wrap, once I'm for-sure that's the configuration. Also I am going to add a fuse from the UPS to that rail, haven't decided on the value yet.. 5A seem sane?

As for a wiring diagram.. sure! Although it will be a bit emergent at this point, and probably ultimately boring.

I did just have to add a decoupling cap (.1uf and 1uf to be sure) across the LED controller, it was flickering and turns out PC power supplies produce pretty unclean power!

2:48 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #168

jecook wrote: ... I thought that was grenades?

Tungsten?  You want something with a pretty high density shaped for high sectional density, so you're looking for something as dense as iron but with decent heat resistance.  Low sectional density makes for more air resistance and a lower impact velocity (but much nicer fireworks on the way in).  The original calculations were for tungsten, I am sure iron would work and would love to play with something mildly pyrophoric such as DU.

My recollection of the old Thor calculations is that you might get 2KT equivalent impact, at least for the devices they were proposing.  So, maybe a really small zip code, more like a large neighborhood.

You can kind of play with possible effects with the meteor simulator here: https://www.purdue.edu/impactearth/  Start with a iron density and small diameters at orbital speeds (26Km/s) and you'll see that diameter plays a large factor in the numbers.  Atmospheric reentry is a bitch.

11:13 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #169

tcurt wrote: Not supposed to look THAT close.. 
oh...... so i should put the microscope back?

...... -siiiigh-

okaaaaaaaaaaay......

-mutter grumble-

:-D

11:30 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #170

rkepler wrote:.....My recollection of the old Thor calculations is that you might get 2KT equivalent impact, at least for the devices they were proposing.  So, maybe a really small zip code, more like a large neighborhood.......
From Wikepedia's article on Kinetic Bombardment:

"In the case of the system mentioned in the 2003 Air Force report above, a 6.1 m × 0.3 m tungsten cylinder impacting at Mach 10 has a kinetic energy equivalent to approximately 11.5 tons of TNT (or 7.2 tons of dynamite)."

About the equivalent of two 10,000kg WW2 'Earthquake Bombs' (each with 4000+ kg of HE filling). Not really in the kT range, but it would still ruin your whole day and make your ears ring if you were within a kilometer or so.
A little knowledge is..... the default setting.