7:04 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #141

tcurt wrote: I .. think?.. you're kidding but that gave me an idea. How about I cut some exhaust-looking pipes, add some carbon buildup blotches near/on them and pipe mist form an ultrasonic humidifier element... would have to replenish the reservoir from time to time but might be worth it.... hrmmm...
-I've seen people using the heater units from "vapes", combined with a small fan, to produce smoke/spray effects. Somebody here on the Guild linked a video to a guy that made an Iron Man costume just a few months ago, and had a combo light, fan and vape setup as "repulsors" in the palms and under foldable wings on his back. Wasn't a prefect representation of a repulsor beam, but it was an admirable effort.

Doc.

7:45 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #142

tcurt wrote:I .. think?.. you're kidding but that gave me an idea. How about I cut some exhaust-looking pipes, add some carbon buildup blotches near/on them and pipe mist form an ultrasonic humidifier element... would have to replenish the reservoir from time to time but might be worth it.... hrmmm...
Yes, I was kidding. (Your remark about not actually feeding house current through exposed pipes reminded me of some poorly considered projects from my youth.)

A proper Steampunk setting shouldn't show any scorch marks unless it's known to have survived an encounter with sky pirates. Or in your case, software pirates.

Ultrasonic humidifiers tend to leave a fine white dust on things if you use water with high mineral content. (Also, water + electricity was one of the poorly considered projects I mentioned earlier.) Maybe consider using a vape pen for "smoke?"
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

10:09 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #143

For smoke the fluid (oil?) and heater from model train engine.

1:30 PM - Oct 03, 2018 #144

DocsMachine wrote: A fancy grille:

Doc.
I love everything about that from the oversized A/C motor to the too-heavily-lacquered-on gloss finish. Where do I get me one? Is that a pic from pintrest or an actual item on ebay? do you have anything like that lying around and/or can you cobble one together (of course I would pay)

-Curt

1:34 PM - Oct 03, 2018 #145

hinermad wrote:Ultrasonic humidifiers tend to leave a fine white dust on things if you use water with high mineral content. (Also, water + electricity was one of the poorly considered projects I mentioned earlier.) Maybe consider using a vape pen for "smoke?"
Ah, but the entire cooling loop uses distilled water :) I can add a small valve and siphon some from the [ample] reservoir any time I want to show it off. That idea is back-burnered for now however. I need to get the main AC lights installed and the actual motherboard mounted and see "where I am" aesthetics-wise and what I have room for.

An artist friend of mine very rightly pointed out that without places for the eye to rest, this will come across as just a big mess, so I am trying to make proper use of 'dead' space between sub-pieces.

-Curt

4:41 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #146

Okay it does NOT get cooler than this. This is not a trick or an enhancement, I have played this demo for my kid's school and work and if this looks impressive... it's nothing to seeing it live. I cannot recommend enough getting one of these things. update_36.jpg
Here it is mounted, it does overshadow that gauge but I think it works, but check this out:

8:17 AM - Oct 04, 2018 #147

Since SME is claiming copywrite ownership of your video content, I assume you were playing music that isn't public domain.
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.

12:59 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #148

oh ffs seriously for a 10 second drum riff? automated copyright crusader software is so annoying

2:03 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #149

Since I can't seem to edit the original post, here is a new one!

10:48 PM - Oct 04, 2018 #150

tcurt wrote: oh ffs seriously for a 10 second drum riff? automated copyright crusader software is so annoying
Yep- I had a ~20 clip from the middle of the second Terminator movie where young John Conner recites the "all of them" trope, and it got whacked once for video infringement- I appealed claiming fair use, and it immediately got whacked a second time for audio infringement from some company I'd never heard of (that was not the movie studio- that was the first one)  and I said 'Eff this' and pulled it completely.