September 8th, 2018, 5:12 am #101

So the original "vision" included an on-board UPS. Not just for practical reasons (like showing at a convention where power might be iffy) but to have more 'stuff' to clutter up the build and look at. Particularly that big sexy transformer. So I ripped the guts out of an APC something-or-other and then carefully rewired the AC and it worked! Note the on/off toggle is wire to the logic-level tactile on board that serves as the stock on/off switch, in spite of the 14AWG wire I ran for show. I am faking momentary contact with a toggle, pretty sure the final incarnation will be some kind of vintage momentary or maybe even a knife switch.. or perhaps turning the key and using the deadbolt or something.. haven't decided yet.
update_14.jpg
I painted the PCB with come hammered-copper fake facade bronze paint after masking off all the necessary contacts. As with other components the wiring is run below through copper tubes and will be routed below the build deck.

GIVE MY CREATION LIFE! 

September 8th, 2018, 7:17 am #102

Here's a thought. Find a old Heathkit o'scope. The display CRT deflection is by electrostatic not magnetic so no coils on tube neck. Use ipt to display lissajous patterns like on the opening of Outer Limits.

September 8th, 2018, 8:58 am #103

Be REAL careful with the old UPS guts. Lots of them are designed to be operated completely enclosed in either an internally insulated, and externally grounded metal case, or in a screwed-together insulated plastic box, so nothing in their circuitry is fully mains insulated, and EVERYTHING - even the battery - may be hot with respect to mains ground. Touch almost anything, even the 'insulated' heat sinks, and you may receive an AC shock.

Check for AC volts to ground on the battery and the obvious 'exposed metal' of heatsinks etc before you run it uncovered, or before 'der dumbkopf mit der gefingerpoken' begins playing around.
Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

September 10th, 2018, 3:30 pm #104

Success! As it happens this weekend was a neighborhood garage sale, cruising around yielded a result almost immediately and I picked up this TV for $5. 
update_15.png
I think I've mentioned he's 7, and had no concept of a "tv" that isn't LCD/LED. I let him try to lift this and unsurprisingly he could not manage it. 

update_16.png
Is this the part? yup. now back off while I make sure it's grounded and discharged, which of course it is but I run 30kv through him just *one time* and you know I'd never hear the end of it from his mother.
update_17.png
Cable detached! Now time to wire it up through the build deck and see if it still works.

-Curt

September 10th, 2018, 3:34 pm #105

Whoops, forgot to add context. Turns out I *didn't* have a properly insulated high-voltage wire and the stuff is crazy expensive to buy. What's not expensive is any other CRT ever made that I could rip apart. Problem is everyone I know has long since thrown them all out, including myself.

How hard could it be to find one collecting dust? Pretty hard it turns out. Maybe 4 or 5 years ago I could have found some but they are rare as a ball-mouse now, not even worth the space they are taking up in storage.

BUT.. (see previous post :)

-Curt

September 10th, 2018, 9:26 pm #106

In an emergency, automotive HT cable (a bit thicker, but...) can be used for a TV EHT run. In the old days of points and distributor ignition systems, I have also, in a DIRE emergency, used sheathed-and-insulated household wiring for car sparkplug cable. Or if there's a neon bender in your vicinity, they use silicon-insulated cable rated at 30kV.
Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

September 11th, 2018, 2:18 am #107

I know for most people on this board a spark-plug wire is probably as near as your dresser, but I don't have that kind of access :P update_18.jpg
Not bad for my first time ever soldering pipes, eh?

September 11th, 2018, 12:47 pm #108

tcurt wrote: Not bad for my first time ever soldering pipes, eh?
Way better than my first few attempts! Also better than my last attempt.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

September 11th, 2018, 7:05 pm #109

Checked in on my favorite scrounging area and could not pass up on this deal! I'm sure I'll have enough cool switches/gizmos to pepper the project with now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-vintage-To ... 2749.l2649

September 11th, 2018, 7:16 pm #110

Also I have a couple things in my notes I hope I can do something with, the two that have really been bothering me are:

- Ship's telegraph/throttle
- Porthole

Just FYI I might figure out a way to incorprate them. Thing is I want genuine articles and they tend to be expensive.. and in the case of the telegraph *huge*. What I want is more like... lets see if I can find it..
57033282_1_x.jpg
Kinda like this but just the upper half.. almost like..
1L3A7688-vsm-850--N.jpg
the throttle in that pic. I'd wire it to the pump speed or something.

Also a sextant. Can't make a sextant look bad on something like this. just a question of how to integrated it.

-Curt