SpaceX: The Dragon is meeting the ISS!

SpaceX: The Dragon is meeting the ISS!

Ketira
Ketira

May 25th, 2012, 12:22 pm #1

They're in the middle of doing that as I'm typing this; but if you missed it, I'm sure it's on NASA's channel on YouTube. They're off the Coast of Australia for now, so they're in the dark. (You can see where the ISS is {must have Java enabled} by going to NASA's home page and clicking first on the "Station & Shuttle" button, then the "Sightings" button.)

If you want to see a live feed of NASA-TV, go to their YT channel.

Ketira
Ketira

May 25th, 2012, 1:59 pm #2

I get to watch all this on TV, thanks to BrightHouse Networks --and being on the Space Coast of FL. (You need the box to view it.) But as the tech on the ISS who operated the Canada arm said: "We have a Dragon by the tail!"

Now that it can be done, think of all the implications!

WOOHOO! GO ISS!

Sleepydawg
Sleepydawg

May 25th, 2012, 4:31 pm #3

Me too, Keitra, love the Bright House!

They got the thing swung around and docked to the node, it looks awesome sitting there.

Pretty impressive so far, they've knocked the ball out of the park with the rocket ops and orbital maneuvers. Unload/load should be a snap. Still got to do re-entry and splashdown. Keep up the good work, Space-X!

-Sleepy

MephitMark
MephitMark

May 25th, 2012, 5:46 pm #4

They're in the middle of doing that as I'm typing this; but if you missed it, I'm sure it's on NASA's channel on YouTube. They're off the Coast of Australia for now, so they're in the dark. (You can see where the ISS is {must have Java enabled} by going to NASA's home page and clicking first on the "Station & Shuttle" button, then the "Sightings" button.)

If you want to see a live feed of NASA-TV, go to their YT channel.
Now comes the question about what happens next? Does this mean more companies get into this? Will we see much more competion in space exploration and development?

The one BIG question that I have, how will this effect our economies (not just the USA but the worlds')?

Though I wonder how would things be today if Nixon had not canceled the Apollo program because of short-sighted polotics of the day. I do believe that a fair number of us would be living somewhere out there now, if just one piece of history had been different.

Kind of wonder how the Whiteboard would have look if Doc had his shop either on the moon or floating around some where?

CF
CF

May 25th, 2012, 10:18 pm #5

Hold the happiness. No one on this forum is ever going to space (unless someone here already has been up there). It's still expensive, and complicated -- the major chance is that instead of Corporations hitching a lift with Governments, Governments now have to hitch lifts with Corporations.

Watch flicks like _Blade Runner_, _Outland, or Alien -- that is what the future of space looks like. The only people going up are those who will be working for Corporate Masters.

Ketira
Ketira

May 26th, 2012, 4:23 pm #6

I was thinking also along the lines of Titan A.E. --a scenario where our planet is blown to bits by aliens.

Still, there's much we don't know about our own Solar System, and it's a start. Besides, think optimistic... something like Star Trek! I'd love to see a future like that!

I'd rather see Space be explored than staying down here on the Beach (Earth) and forever wondering what's out there. Before SpaceX, I was singing along with Leslie Fish:

"Queen Isabella, where are you today?
The new Chris Columbus is wasting away.
The same Game is waiting, but no one will play...
Queen Isabelle, where are you now?"

Now we have one.... someone as rich as Queen Isabelle, that is, to get the Game (going into Space) going again. Yay!

CF
CF

May 26th, 2012, 8:46 pm #7

"Besides, think optimistic... something like Star Trek! I'd love to see a future like that! "

"I always hope for the best; experience has taught me to expect the worst." [Garak, _DS9_]

No -- we are not going Out There. Someone will be, but none of Us.

Ketira
Ketira

May 29th, 2012, 5:36 am #8

"...But the Eagle has Landed; tell your children when
Time won't drive us down to dust again."
("Hope Eyrie", by Leslie Fish. Get Tom Smith's rendition here.)