so what every rocking on a pc???

so what every rocking on a pc???

smorizio
smorizio

July 31st, 2012, 1:15 am #1

who got the oldest rig running??? in the middle swapping out old 775 for i5-ib system.

Camera Guy
Camera Guy

July 31st, 2012, 2:06 am #2

Over the past 6 months I've pushed my system from a socket 478 P4 2.0 with a 400 MHz FSB(circa 2002), 1 gig of ddr 400 and an ATI 9800 AIW video card to a 2.8 GHz P4 with an 800MHz FSB and 2.5 GB of RAM running on the same motherboard for a total cost of about $5. Parts are essentially free when I can find them, but unfortunately you can't dig through the government sponsored E-waste dumpsters around here scavenging parts. I'm having trouble finding a better AGP video card than the 9800 for a decent price.

I'm intending to move to a high end Core i5 system by the end of the year, and I'll be impressed if I get a decade out the replacement for my current computer.

jkeyser14
jkeyser14

July 31st, 2012, 3:06 am #3

who got the oldest rig running??? in the middle swapping out old 775 for i5-ib system.
I have a dell laptop from 1998. It's not capable of running any real software, but it has a serial port that's needed for my weekend car's diagnostics (pre-OBD) and it's old so I don't mind it getting tossed around the car during any spirited driving.

I have a 1995 Dell desktop that still runs which I only turn on to use as a backup file server.

I have a 2001 Dell desktop that is dedicated to running Mach3 for my mill (too slow to do anything else).

I have a 2010 ASUS laptop which is a POS that I hate. It's broken more times than I can count and the battery's cells are toast.

I have a 2012 home built gaming/CAD desktop that I love (SSD, 32 GB ram, etc). I also owned several PC's and laptops in between those above, but they all died various deaths.

Attic Rat
Attic Rat

July 31st, 2012, 3:16 am #4

Well, this HP XW6000 Workstation was originally shipped with Windows 2000, and uses first-generation DDR RAM.
It has a pair of individual 2.4 GHz Xeon CPUs too, and if the power supply fails, I'll have to scrap the whole thing because nobody makes a replacement (though several manufacturers claim to) that will work with this motherboard.
The user's manual was printed in January of 2000.
I'm sure somebody's got an older beast still running.

smorizio
smorizio

July 31st, 2012, 3:28 am #5

I have a dell laptop from 1998. It's not capable of running any real software, but it has a serial port that's needed for my weekend car's diagnostics (pre-OBD) and it's old so I don't mind it getting tossed around the car during any spirited driving.

I have a 1995 Dell desktop that still runs which I only turn on to use as a backup file server.

I have a 2001 Dell desktop that is dedicated to running Mach3 for my mill (too slow to do anything else).

I have a 2010 ASUS laptop which is a POS that I hate. It's broken more times than I can count and the battery's cells are toast.

I have a 2012 home built gaming/CAD desktop that I love (SSD, 32 GB ram, etc). I also owned several PC's and laptops in between those above, but they all died various deaths.
if it has nvidia video chipset it may be part of the mb/video chipset class action lawsuit...last i read a lot people were getting new mb and laptops from the class action.

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

July 31st, 2012, 3:46 am #6

Well, this HP XW6000 Workstation was originally shipped with Windows 2000, and uses first-generation DDR RAM.
It has a pair of individual 2.4 GHz Xeon CPUs too, and if the power supply fails, I'll have to scrap the whole thing because nobody makes a replacement (though several manufacturers claim to) that will work with this motherboard.
... The last time I fired up my Acer Aspire (bought in February of '96) it still worked fine, though the CD tray wouldn't pop open. (Stuck, I think, not necessarily broken.)

It's been some six or more years, though, since I did plug it in, but it's been reasonably well stored since then.

As I recall, it was a Pentium (not a P2 or P3, just a Pentium) which was... what, 90Mhz? It came with 8Mb RAM, and the first thing I did was double it to a whopping 16Mb- those two 4Mb sticks cost me something like $250. It also had a 4X CD drive, and came with a matching-case 14" VGA monitor and a 14.4 modem.

'Course, I still have an Apple IIe around here somewhere...

Doc.

smorizio
smorizio

July 31st, 2012, 4:14 am #7

old 775 or amd system??? that patched together??

The Gecko
The Gecko

July 31st, 2012, 7:12 am #8

... The last time I fired up my Acer Aspire (bought in February of '96) it still worked fine, though the CD tray wouldn't pop open. (Stuck, I think, not necessarily broken.)

It's been some six or more years, though, since I did plug it in, but it's been reasonably well stored since then.

As I recall, it was a Pentium (not a P2 or P3, just a Pentium) which was... what, 90Mhz? It came with 8Mb RAM, and the first thing I did was double it to a whopping 16Mb- those two 4Mb sticks cost me something like $250. It also had a 4X CD drive, and came with a matching-case 14" VGA monitor and a 14.4 modem.

'Course, I still have an Apple IIe around here somewhere...

Doc.
Main rig is a Core2Duo E8500 w/ a GTX 260. Consoles pretty much locked the hardware standard in stone 8 years ago, I haven't felt pressed to upgrade.

At work, we've got a whole host of Pentium-4's that we keep around for realtime video capture. They've got enough CPU to analyse video at 30fps and stream it raw to SATA disks, that's all we need. We just salvage them from other departments as they try to get rid of them.

Going back further, we have a few SunBlade 150's from 2002 that we have to keep around for some legacy infrasound raytracing programs.

But that's the newer stuff!

In the basement, I've got an AMD Athlon Slot-A processor and accompanying motherboard+RAM (sans heatsink - I "borrowed" that for playing around with a TEC cooler).

Even older, I've got a 486 DX2/33MHz processor and motherboard sitting around. Its cache chips have been pulled, and there's some corrosion on the motherboard battery terminals. If that were cleaned up, it might even still run, since those old processors can be pretty durable, and it's been boxed up in a pretty stable environment.

Plus, the usual assortment of bits and pieces - ISA serial/parallel port cards. An old VESA Local Bus (VLB) video card - Trident, I think. An ISA Sound Blaster 16 card... some fancier bits as things progressed into the PCI era, with one of those old pass-through Voodoo accelerators.

My pride and joy used to be an AMD 486 DX2 80MHz system I still had running in 2004. It had a 10 year old Quantum Bigfoot hard disk (back when they were 5.25" units) that was still going strong. Not a lot of practical use, but I had fun with it. I used to use it to throttle my roommates when they were monopolising bandwidth with torrents. Poison their ARP cache to identify as their gateway and run all their stuff through a rate limiting egress queue. Good times! Had to leave that one behind when I moved though, due to space.

Chloe
Chloe

July 31st, 2012, 7:16 am #9

My oldest working PC is a cyrix 166 running Dos 6.22/Windows 3.11. It's networked too, and has an IP stack so you can get online with it.

It's mostly for old games though, and a little scary that I could change it's 2 HDs for 1 compact flash card, and still have most of the card free!

My oldest computer, on the other hand, would be one of my BBC "B"s.. at 1982/83 vintage..

Snowtroll
Snowtroll

July 31st, 2012, 7:58 am #10

Made by a local company calling themselves 'BITS'...

Maxi-tower
Intel motherboard with 133MHz Pentium, 96MB RAM(Was 64 when new)
Quantuum Fireball 1.3GB HDD
ATI Rage PRO PCI graphics card(8MB RAM and TV out.)
Assorted CD-ROMs and CD-burners...
3 x 2.1 GB SCSI drives.
Serial Sicos Colani lefthanded mouse.

Currently runs OS2 v4.0 (Merlin), but will soon be upgraded to eCS 2.x.
(I have eCS 2.0 on an ASUS EEPC 701 right now, for testing. When I'm confident that I have everything sorted, I'll do the deed)

It's mostly used as a gaming rig.
Playing OMF2097(everyone loves all-out mecha fights, right?), X-Wing and of course Galactic Civilisations II.

That's the oldest PC I have that's in any regular use...

Not the oldest computer I have...
I have the Osborne One (first portable)
Epson HX-20 (first laptop)
Tandy TRS-80 model 100 (most Americans believe this was the first laptop)
Commodore SX-64 (first portable with colour screen)
KayPro 10 (First portable with a HDD)

Commodore 64, VIC-20, assorted Amigas...
Sinclair ZX-81, ZX-Spectrum (Americans; think Timex-Sinclair), QL...
Cambridge Z88
Assorted Ataris, including a couple of ST.
Amstrad PPC 512 (portable with a FULL SIZE keyboard... )

Too many Macs to shake a stick at.
(Including Newtons and an eMate)

A SGI Indigo2 workstation...
A SUN SparcStation 5, and an UltraSparc 5...

A box full of Palm Pilots.

At least 20 games consoles.
(Does not include the PS3 or any Xbox)

Lost count somewhere after 200...