So what'd you get done over the weekend?

So what'd you get done over the weekend?

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

June 1st, 2011, 11:10 am #1

I see there wasn't much Guild traffic over the weekend... Was there no one tinkering in the shop while Grandpa got the charcoal going? No one had distant relatives show up for the free food, and then get cornered in the garage as you tried to excitedly explain how your gas-operated laundry-trebuchet worked?

Or did y'all just take the weekend off?

I didn't get much of note done, what with the barbecues or get-togethers scheduled for each of the three days... (burp! Lotsa leftovers though...)

I did do some tinkering, including some bodywork to an oil pan, which was certainly something new and interesting... Saw the half-assembled '35 Hudson Terraplane I made some parts for a few weeks back, finally had a chance to check out the old Cincinnati tool-and-cutter grinder I now have access to (not mine, but I can use it pretty much anytime, though it looks like I'll have to roll my own tooling) and nearly hit what I'm pretty sure was the same moose, with two different cars. (Pics of all the above forthcoming. It's 3:00 am, gimme a minute!)

One quick pic to get the thread rolling, though:

I'd pressure-washed most of the paint off a couple of weeks ago, and I was finally able to spend a few minutes each day over the weekend giving it a couple quick coats of paint. Looks 100% better, but as usual, it's still not done. Yesterday (Tuesday) I got it moved into the shop, slapped on a set of my now-ubiquitous hockey-puck feet, moved three smaller machines, and got it set up near the wall.

Now what do I do with the three machines?

That upper arch is just screaming for one of my wolfskull stickers.

Most of the rest of my tinkery over the weekend was slavin' over a hot lathe. Barbecued pork rib made it all worthwhile though. What'd you-all do?

Doc.

S7G
S7G

June 1st, 2011, 11:57 am #2

East coast to England-Germany-England 3 times and once with a stop in the Azores then on to Belgium, Afghanistan,Belgium-Ghana,Nigeria,Belgium,Ethiopia.
So not much really............And in the Morning I am off to Hong Kong-India and back to Addis Ababa.
Nice relaxing time carrying millions of pounds of cargo in support of the troops.
There will be time enough for sleep when I am dead!

;p
P-3

Masakatsu
Masakatsu

June 1st, 2011, 1:08 pm #3

I see there wasn't much Guild traffic over the weekend... Was there no one tinkering in the shop while Grandpa got the charcoal going? No one had distant relatives show up for the free food, and then get cornered in the garage as you tried to excitedly explain how your gas-operated laundry-trebuchet worked?

I didn't get much of note done, what with the barbecues or get-togethers scheduled for each of the three days... (burp! Lotsa leftovers though...)

I did do some tinkering, including some bodywork to an oil pan, which was certainly something new and interesting... Saw the half-assembled '35 Hudson Terraplane I made some parts for a few weeks back, finally had a chance to check out the old Cincinnati tool-and-cutter grinder I now have access to (not mine, but I can use it pretty much anytime, though it looks like I'll have to roll my own tooling) and nearly hit what I'm pretty sure was the same moose, with two different cars. (Pics of all the above forthcoming. It's 3:00 am, gimme a minute!)

I'd pressure-washed most of the paint off a couple of weeks ago, and I was finally able to spend a few minutes each day over the weekend giving it a couple quick coats of paint. Looks 100% better, but as usual, it's still not done. Yesterday (Tuesday) I got it moved into the shop, slapped on a set of my now-ubiquitous hockey-puck feet, moved three smaller machines, and got it set up near the wall.

Most of the rest of my tinkery over the weekend was slavin' over a hot lathe. Barbecued pork rib made it all worthwhile though. What'd you-all do?

Doc.
You guys tinker with mechanics and machines... I tinker with the health care system. Worked on my dissertation.

chaotter
chaotter

June 1st, 2011, 1:31 pm #4

Doc.
Found a new field by my house and played some and think I found a tech to fix my previous tinkering with my ion. Had a good day playing and ate some pizza.

SPEAKING OF PAINTBALL....its been kinda lacking lately, its prime time for paintball outside...well its always paintball time....but you know what i mean!

Shargo
Shargo

June 1st, 2011, 1:43 pm #5

Doc.
(Including important bits on how not to crash it). And no, no incidents

But that was Sunday evening, Saturday evening was spent BBQ with some RedCross friends and the rest of the Sunday as First aid folks for a motorcross competition (for the RedCross).

And on the CNC note I will get to borrow a small CNC-mill to train on :-D
(A DynaMyte 2400 modified with stronger motors and likely converted to ISO (guy who modified it has passed away.)
Should be a good warm up if I get accepted to the machinist training I've applied to!

Found out a nice fact about the school, both Sandvik and Ovako are represented in the school's board!

Silcas
Silcas

June 1st, 2011, 3:03 pm #6

Doc.
Reffed a Speedball Tournament Saturday, then helped prep one of the woodsball fields for Alaska D-Day.

M Squared
M Squared

June 1st, 2011, 3:33 pm #7

Doc.
The wife and I traveled to Missoula MT (about 500 miles) to help the All Guard rifle team put on a clinic and participate in a rifle match at the Hellgate Shooters Association Deep Creek Range outside Missoula.

Saturday we conducted an "across the course" clinic for new/ novice shooters, including a 50 shot practice match.

Sunday was a NRA Regional 800 Course of fire: 20 shots standing slowfire at 200 yards, 2 strings of 10 shots rapid fire sitting at 200 yards, 2 strings of 10 rapid fire prone at 300 yards, and 20 shots slowfire prone at 600 yards. Then we shot an additional 15 shots at 800 to lead into monday. All with sighting shots...as per NRA rules.

Monday we were scheduled to shoot 15 shots slowfire at 800, 900, and 1000 yards (called a "palma match") but had to retreat to the covered firing points at 1000 yards due to rain, so we just shot 2 stings of 20 at 1000.

All iron sights, I shoot a match grade AR-15A2 service rifle through 600 and an AR-10 service rifle back to 1000.

Hans
Hans

June 1st, 2011, 4:14 pm #8

I've done a few NRA high power matches, but it's a 1hr drive to the only range and it's all at 200yds. With club rifles, mil-surp ammo, blah. Can't wait till I have my own A2 to shoot, but I envy that you even have 1,000yd shooting available to you.

-Hans

Hans
Hans

June 1st, 2011, 4:15 pm #9

Doc.
Picked it up about a week ago, finished cleaning it and getting it running over the past few days.

http://www.siegecraft.us/whitewater.htm

-Hans

Bruce Bergman
Bruce Bergman

June 1st, 2011, 5:30 pm #10

Doc.
Harbor Freight's 20-Ton is plenty for what I'll need for a while - I was about to say "all I'll ever need" but we ALL know that's flying a red flag in Murphy's face... It ain't the monster you got, but it'll do.

And I'm already looking at what needs Modding and Tooling while I get it all setup and clean out a permanent place for it to live inside.

Getting ready to change the upper A-arm bushings in the C-3500 before the 'shaking while braking' snaps something. Then the Corvair needs the Blower Bearing done...

And I managed to control myself at the obligatory BBQ party. No Harp Seals were harmed.