So what'd you do with your Holiday-off?

So what'd you do with your Holiday-off?

July 5th, 2017, 9:44 am #1

I know some people got a 4-day weekend out of it, while others had to work on Monday and then had today off, but either way, how'd you spend it?

I bet some of you thought this strip was a joke. Nope- I took a day off of slogging through projects in the shop... by slogging through a project in the shop.

Yes, Jack is a very, very dull boy.

Anyway, I'm still trying to put the finishing touches on several of my machine projects, and since the big Exacto mill is finally (almost) up and running, it was time to sort out the electricals.

Some doofus at some point in its history had opened the junction box on the motor in order to disconnect the wires. And then gave up and just snipped off the cable. But never put the box cover back on, which meant it was then lost in the mists of time.

After briefly trying to find a replacement box- not an original replacement, as this is a Spanish made machine and relatively few made it to US shores, but some suitable box I could adapt. Then I decided, to heck with it, I'll just make one. I mean, what are machine tools for if not to spend half a day and $20 in material making a part that could be purchased for $1.98 at the nearest Home Depot?

So, bandsaw...

Mill...

Sand...

And done!

(That last pic is actually from before the sanding stage, but hey, nobody's perfect.)

Like Red says, it's just that easy.

The paint's drying now, and in the morning, before the panic of realizing how many things I have on the workbench sets in, I'll bolt 'er on and run the wiring. I still need to mount and wire the VFD, mount a start/stop switch, and a couple of other things, but we're getting there.

Doc.

July 5th, 2017, 4:15 pm #2

I worked on my race car. That might seem obvious, but actually we hadn't worked on it since the race back on June 11th. The car was still in the trailer, still covered with dust. We hadn't worked on the car because, like me, my racing partner works two jobs, his regular day job, plus co-owning a small mill repair company on the side. He does those repairs on evenings, and weekends, and had been tied up every weekend since then.

We washed the car, and since it was a warm sunny day, washed out the inside of the trailer, which badly needed it. We upped our boost control from 30 psi to 32 psi, (we probably won't have the tailwind we had last meet). We've started draining the race fuel out after a run, and running the engine on pump gas for a few minutes to try and prolong the life of the fuel system. We noticed that the tank was nearly dry, so we added a cup more gas, and idled the engine for 30 seconds to get the pump gas into all the nooks and crannies.

Then we buttoned it all back up and put it back in the trailer for the next meet, a week and a half from now.

July 5th, 2017, 5:54 pm #3

I know some people got a 4-day weekend out of it, while others had to work on Monday and then had today off, but either way, how'd you spend it?

I bet some of you thought this strip was a joke. Nope- I took a day off of slogging through projects in the shop... by slogging through a project in the shop.

Anyway, I'm still trying to put the finishing touches on several of my machine projects, and since the big Exacto mill is finally (almost) up and running, it was time to sort out the electricals.

Some doofus at some point in its history had opened the junction box on the motor in order to disconnect the wires. And then gave up and just snipped off the cable. But never put the box cover back on, which meant it was then lost in the mists of time.

After briefly trying to find a replacement box- not an original replacement, as this is a Spanish made machine and relatively few made it to US shores, but some suitable box I could adapt. Then I decided, to heck with it, I'll just make one. I mean, what are machine tools for if not to spend half a day and $20 in material making a part that could be purchased for $1.98 at the nearest Home Depot?

So, bandsaw...

Mill...

Sand...

And done!

(That last pic is actually from before the sanding stage, but hey, nobody's perfect.)

The paint's drying now, and in the morning, before the panic of realizing how many things I have on the workbench sets in, I'll bolt 'er on and run the wiring. I still need to mount and wire the VFD, mount a start/stop switch, and a couple of other things, but we're getting there.

Doc.
And by that, I mean I watched stand-up comedy specials on Netflix and turned the thermostat down a couple of degrees in the apartment.

July 5th, 2017, 6:58 pm #4

So, bandsaw...

Mill...

Sand...

And done!

Doc.
The weekend itself was mostly devoted to property stuff. Replaced the solar-powered dusk-to-dawn lights on the foot bridge with AC strings on a photocell, then lots of general yard work - mowing, pruning, that kind of stuff.

My sister's family is in town for the week, so we've been spending a lot of time with them. Cards Against Humanity Monday evening, and a range day on the 4th - I've introduced my nephews to the joys of model rocketry, and we got about a dozen flights in. The best fireworks are the ones you get back.

Last night was pretty low key. The dog's deathly afraid of gunfire and fireworks, so we spent the evening petting him and telling him what a good boy he is.
"Vox populi, vox humbug!"
- William Tecumseh Sherman

July 5th, 2017, 8:16 pm #5

So, bandsaw...

Mill...

Sand...

And done!

Doc.
I met my brother and his kids at a park in Buffalo where several decommissioned Navy ships are on display, including one Dad served aboard in the 1960s. Then a couple days later was my eldest grandson's birthday.

In between I was trying to get my motorcycle running. It's a '78 Suzuki GS750 that hasn't had a lick of maintenance that I can see, other than a few bunged up screw heads. I bought it last year as a project bike but it's become a "projectile cursing" (as in throwing things and swearing every 10 minutes) bike.

I fixed a rotted seal in the airbox so it's not hyperventilating now. Next steps are to fix the valve clearances (at least three don't have the minimum clearance), then dip the carbs and get them adjusted and balanced. Then there's the exhaust...

What was I thinking? I'm not a mechanic!
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

July 5th, 2017, 8:42 pm #6

New thinking.
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

July 5th, 2017, 8:50 pm #7

So, bandsaw...

Mill...

Sand...

And done!

Doc.
Which I could only afford because my sister bought tickets for my birthday. The concert was good, the fireworks were fun, the parking was horrible. The drive home was entertaining because there were lots of fireworks shows still going on at 11:30 PM.
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

July 5th, 2017, 9:11 pm #8

So, bandsaw...

Mill...

Sand...

And done!

Doc.
i worked..... selling beer n/t

July 5th, 2017, 9:16 pm #9

I worked on my race car. That might seem obvious, but actually we hadn't worked on it since the race back on June 11th. The car was still in the trailer, still covered with dust. We hadn't worked on the car because, like me, my racing partner works two jobs, his regular day job, plus co-owning a small mill repair company on the side. He does those repairs on evenings, and weekends, and had been tied up every weekend since then.

We washed the car, and since it was a warm sunny day, washed out the inside of the trailer, which badly needed it. We upped our boost control from 30 psi to 32 psi, (we probably won't have the tailwind we had last meet). We've started draining the race fuel out after a run, and running the engine on pump gas for a few minutes to try and prolong the life of the fuel system. We noticed that the tank was nearly dry, so we added a cup more gas, and idled the engine for 30 seconds to get the pump gas into all the nooks and crannies.

Then we buttoned it all back up and put it back in the trailer for the next meet, a week and a half from now.
So asks the Auto Racing Fan.
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

July 5th, 2017, 9:25 pm #10

So, bandsaw...

Mill...

Sand...

And done!

Doc.
Our last public Holiday was Queens Birthday, then next will be Labour Day near the end of October.

Yes, Winter in New Zealand is a long dark stretch of no public holidays.