So I may have just bought a banbury mixer...

2:54 AM - May 17, 2018 #1

Actually I did.   It's a FARREL BR LAB BANBURY MIXER that was surplus to R&D operations where I work.    Literally the conversation went like this: 

"Yeah we don't use line 89 anymore it's way too small to do test batches in.   Works fine though.   We bought a 10# batch mixer for testing that suits us much better."

"Can I have it?"

"I don't see why not,  it's literally sitting here doing nothing.   Let me ask around."

Two days later I got called in the office and they were "we checked with the home office and all you have to do is fill out a surplus form and rig it out of here."   Don't you love big dumb corporations that literally have no fucking clue.    They are practically GIVING me a piece of industrial equipment because it would cost them money to liquidate or dispose of it.

Rigging it out of there will cost me $2500 and it will fit nicely in my garage.

It should with any luck arrive within 10 days,  depending on the rigger schedule and time for maintenance to disconnect it. 

Given that I already have a small extrusion line, a couple of molding presses and more 3D printers than a mere mortal needs,  this will fit my Master Plan For Domination And Control Of Various Things For Reasons.

Oh and the best part on top of all of this?  It runs off of bog-standard industrial-flavor electricity.   The same stuff I already have in my workshop.

...I'm going to have to stop calling it my workshop and start calling it my Secret Lair Where I Plan To Dominate and Control Various Things For Reasons.

Muahahahaha.

Checking ebay,  here's one similar:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FARREL-BR-LAB- ... 0005.m1851

I'll put up photos when I get time.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

3:10 AM - May 17, 2018 #2

Kewl!

So.... um, what's it do?

5:17 AM - May 17, 2018 #3

Holy Suffering Aardvarks!
That is the second-best bargain I've ever seen.
Congratulations oh future overlord of stuff.

5:21 AM - May 17, 2018 #4

Do you need any minions?
A little knowledge is..... the default setting.

7:41 AM - May 17, 2018 #5

OK. Seeing the Ebay price I realize why you are in full evil chortle mode. You just did a Jesse James on you company. The original, not the chopper builder.

11:26 AM - May 17, 2018 #6

So what does one DO with one of those? i assume it mixxes something but thats about 27 full orders of magnitude outside my own comfort-zone (i'm a synthetic chemist those orders of of magnitude are probably even accurate)...

I for one all praise our new[[NAME REDACTED]] overlord

12:08 PM - May 17, 2018 #7

A Banbury Mixer in your garage? We had a small one where I used to work. Bigger than yours, but still considered "lab sized" (that we used for production). The shaft from the gear box to the mixer was about 10" diameter, and the motor was not compatible with standard household current.

We used it for mixing friction materials. I trust you won't be abusing it that way. :)

Tim

1:06 PM - May 17, 2018 #8

We have one at work that has a 1500 horsepower motor.   The gearbox alone is bigger than my former employer.   Hell the motor is bigger than my ENTIRE CAR.    That's the smaller of the two productive mixers.

The other one is 2400 horsepower and the drivetrain on that thing requires it's own zip-code.   Both of them hot-drop rubber into an extrusion system and we send the rubber to the rest of the plant for production use.

They threw in a tiny two-roll mill and a heated-platen press too,  basically "hey this idiot is taking our obsolete junk!" sort of deal.

I've been experimenting with 3D printed press-dies and molds in my spare time,  and I have had great success with pre-mixed rubber compounds in my experiments.   Print mold,  goosh compound with mold,  cure molded item.

Now in theory I can make my own compound.    I spent the non-productive portion of my evening (five hours (*)) looking up rubber suppliers and chemistry stuff...  We'll see.

Given the value of the machine and the scale it operates on I may clean it up further and contact a broker and sell it off.   I really can't imagine making rubber on this scale at home, and you really can't manufacture drugs with it,  so there is no reason to offer it for sale locally.

(*) union company.   Move along.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

2:25 PM - May 17, 2018 #9

The one you linked to has a 30HP motor.  Even ignoring losses that's something like 100A service, half of my house feed (only because they wanted $30K for 3 phase then demanded a PE signoff for a 320A feed).  What the hell kind of power supply do you have to your house?  Do you live in the loft of an industrial building?

(The reason I wanted 3 phase was because it makes some things a lot easier - like a 50KW inductive furnace. I'm still thinking about it but would power it with a surplus generator if I ever set it up).

2:46 PM - May 17, 2018 #10

the comp not losing money on the unit if they wrote it off as surplus. they get to write the cost of the unit off on there taxes. you taking the old unit free's up the floor space it was in so they can put a bigger unit in where the old one was.