So I finally broke down and bought my own CNC machine... now I need CAT 40 tooling...

So I finally broke down and bought my own CNC machine... now I need CAT 40 tooling...

manike
manike

May 22nd, 2012, 7:58 pm #1

So I finally gave in to my cravings and when a deal on a HAAS VF2 with 5 Axis Trunnion came up I went for it.

The concrete is being poured for it tomorrow and then the machine should be arriving some time next week.

It doesn't have any tooling though. I was wondering where the best place is to pick up new and used CAT 40 tooling. The machine has a 10,000 rpm spindle so I think that means I need balanced tooling. Any significant risks in buying used tooling?

In fact, here's the specs for those interested and familiar.

2004 Haas VF2 CNC Vertical Mill w/ 5th Axis Trunion

Specifications:
Travels:
X-Axis 30
Y-Axis 16
Z-Axis 20
Table Size 36 x 14
Max. Workpiece Weight 3,000 lbs.
Spindle Speed 10,000 RPM
Spindle Taper CAT 40
Spindle Motor 20 HP
Tool Changer 24+1 Side Mount ATC
Max. Tool Diameter 3.5
Max. Tool Length 9
Max. Tool Weight 12 lbs.
Tool Change Time 4.2 seconds
Chip to Chip Time 4.5 seconds
Rapid Traverse Rate 1000 IPM
Machine Dimensions (LxWxH) 88 x 82 x 104
Machine Weight 7,300 lbs.

Equipped With:

Geared Head
Programmable Coolant
5 Axis Trunion (HRT-160)
16 MB Memory Upgrade
4th / 5th Axis Brushless
Chip Auger
Floppy
High Speed Machining
Macros
Visual Quick Code
Remote Jog Handle (7 Axis)
Rigid Tapping
Spindle Orientation
Tool Holder Tray
Tool Holder Vice
Approx. 4,000 Cut hours

Someone
Someone

May 22nd, 2012, 8:40 pm #2

Nice Toy

Someone else
Someone else

May 22nd, 2012, 10:10 pm #3

So I finally gave in to my cravings and when a deal on a HAAS VF2 with 5 Axis Trunnion came up I went for it.

The concrete is being poured for it tomorrow and then the machine should be arriving some time next week.

It doesn't have any tooling though. I was wondering where the best place is to pick up new and used CAT 40 tooling. The machine has a 10,000 rpm spindle so I think that means I need balanced tooling. Any significant risks in buying used tooling?

Specifications:
Travels:
X-Axis 30
Y-Axis 16
Z-Axis 20
Table Size 36 x 14
Spindle Speed 10,000 RPM
Spindle Taper CAT 40
Spindle Motor 20 HP
Max. Tool Diameter 3.5
Max. Tool Length 9
Max. Tool Weight 12 lbs.

Equipped With:

Geared Head
Programmable Coolant
5 Axis Trunion (HRT-160)
16 MB Memory Upgrade
4th / 5th Axis Brushless
Chip Auger
Floppy
High Speed Machining
Macros
Visual Quick Code
Rigid Tapping
Spindle Orientation
Tool Holder Tray
Tool Holder Vice
Approx. 4,000 Cut hours

over something besides a red x

Big'n Slo
Big'n Slo

May 23rd, 2012, 2:04 pm #4

Specifications:
Travels:
X-Axis 30
Y-Axis 16
Z-Axis 20
Table Size 36 x 14
Spindle Speed 10,000 RPM
Spindle Taper CAT 40
Spindle Motor 20 HP
Max. Tool Diameter 3.5
Max. Tool Length 9
Max. Tool Weight 12 lbs.

Equipped With:

Geared Head
Programmable Coolant
5 Axis Trunion (HRT-160)
16 MB Memory Upgrade
4th / 5th Axis Brushless
Chip Auger
Floppy
High Speed Machining
Macros
Visual Quick Code
Rigid Tapping
Spindle Orientation
Tool Holder Tray
Tool Holder Vice
Approx. 4,000 Cut hours

You've been to Fazzio's right?

http://stores.ebay.com/Joseph-Fazzio-Incorporated

You have to know what your looking for, and where to look but that's the fun part.

There's also Cook Tool
http://www.cooktoolandmachine.com/

More specific to machine tooling, I haven't been there in a while.

HTRN
HTRN

May 23rd, 2012, 2:34 pm #5

Specifications:
Travels:
X-Axis 30
Y-Axis 16
Z-Axis 20
Table Size 36 x 14
Spindle Speed 10,000 RPM
Spindle Taper CAT 40
Spindle Motor 20 HP
Max. Tool Diameter 3.5
Max. Tool Length 9
Max. Tool Weight 12 lbs.

Equipped With:

Geared Head
Programmable Coolant
5 Axis Trunion (HRT-160)
16 MB Memory Upgrade
4th / 5th Axis Brushless
Chip Auger
Floppy
High Speed Machining
Macros
Visual Quick Code
Rigid Tapping
Spindle Orientation
Tool Holder Tray
Tool Holder Vice
Approx. 4,000 Cut hours

And I think he may have some in stock. Frankly your best bet for used Cat 40 tooling is going to be Ebay.

Parlec is fairly common in the industry as it's pretty good quality without the superpremium pricetag of say, Command Corporation. Lyndex falls into the same category, but I don't care for them as much.

Maritool is an import that is fairly popular amongst the small operations who are looking to save a buck, but I'm not sure about the quality. Another is Glacern Tools - I can't comment on the toolholders, but a few guys on the HSM board bought some of their Kurt clone vises and were pleased with the quality.

A word of advice! Try to buy as few different collet systems as possible, not just because of additional expense, but because A)you generally need less collets and B) you have more redundancy. Also I would only buy a single set(so you have a full range) and then buy multiples of the common sizes - you only wind up using a few sizes most of the time, like 3/8, 1/2", occasionally 5/8" and 3/4". ER-40 goes from 1" all the way down to 1/8" Occasionally you'll need smaller, both size of endmill and the size of the toolholder! So pick up a few when the opportunity strikes.

manike
manike

May 23rd, 2012, 3:19 pm #6

You've been to Fazzio's right?

http://stores.ebay.com/Joseph-Fazzio-Incorporated

You have to know what your looking for, and where to look but that's the fun part.

There's also Cook Tool
http://www.cooktoolandmachine.com/

More specific to machine tooling, I haven't been there in a while.
Now just down from the Barnsboro Inn. Walking distance actually. Which isn't always a good thing...

I know Fazzio's well, but usually for material etc. Hadn't thought about them for tooling.

Thanks for the links.

manike
manike

May 23rd, 2012, 3:21 pm #7

And I think he may have some in stock. Frankly your best bet for used Cat 40 tooling is going to be Ebay.

Parlec is fairly common in the industry as it's pretty good quality without the superpremium pricetag of say, Command Corporation. Lyndex falls into the same category, but I don't care for them as much.

Maritool is an import that is fairly popular amongst the small operations who are looking to save a buck, but I'm not sure about the quality. Another is Glacern Tools - I can't comment on the toolholders, but a few guys on the HSM board bought some of their Kurt clone vises and were pleased with the quality.

A word of advice! Try to buy as few different collet systems as possible, not just because of additional expense, but because A)you generally need less collets and B) you have more redundancy. Also I would only buy a single set(so you have a full range) and then buy multiples of the common sizes - you only wind up using a few sizes most of the time, like 3/8, 1/2", occasionally 5/8" and 3/4". ER-40 goes from 1" all the way down to 1/8" Occasionally you'll need smaller, both size of endmill and the size of the toolholder! So pick up a few when the opportunity strikes.
Thanks

manike
manike

May 23rd, 2012, 3:24 pm #8

over something besides a red x
They were for me. Maybe because they were attachments on my www.simonized.com forum? Anyway I uploaded them to photobucket so let's see if this works...

BnS
BnS

May 23rd, 2012, 3:25 pm #9

Now just down from the Barnsboro Inn. Walking distance actually. Which isn't always a good thing...

I know Fazzio's well, but usually for material etc. Hadn't thought about them for tooling.

Thanks for the links.
I seem to be in there once a week for some odd thing or another.
Not liking the "new" section much...

I've seen Cat 40 strewn about in my searches for tooling but obviously haven't paid much attention as it won't fit my cheep atlas lathe and ENCO mill

manike
manike

May 23rd, 2012, 3:25 pm #10

Nice Toy
It was a big chunk of change that was hard to swallow, but my Wife was ok with it, and the risks involved, so we shall see.