So, Curt... how's the weather down there?

September 12th, 2018, 3:15 pm #1

For those of you playing at home, Curt, author of the TWB updater applet thingie, current progenitor of the "steampunk computer build" thread, and kinda-sorta model for Roger, lives in Georgia (unless he's moved again 😁 ) which is going to get nailed to some degree by the oncoming Hurricane Florence.

I currently picture him huddled in the basement with his family, and his wife asking him why he brought "that contraption" to work on instead of food or water. 😁

Or frantically adding a sump pump to his 1950's-era fallout shelter. 😁

Doc.

September 12th, 2018, 3:59 pm #2

Interesting. I wonder if his high voltage machinations have influenced the storm track. Isn't it a little unusual for a hurricane to come straight on shore in the Carolinas? I thought storms usually paralleled the coast through there.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

September 12th, 2018, 4:01 pm #3

Curt has to consider the possibility that "They" have found him.
Love thou the rose, yet leave it on its stem. -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

September 12th, 2018, 4:02 pm #4

I live in South Carolina, so I'll get it before Curt. There may be some huddling in the basement here, but as long as I have electricity, I can work on the trains! :) No wife or kids (my daughter's [and Grandson!] safely out of the way in Phili). Or cat, either, anymore. :(

Looks like the whole state's going to get whacked to some degree.

Tim

September 12th, 2018, 4:16 pm #5

I'm in Atlanta and not expecting much of anything here. So if he needs a place to escape to, well... it's a small apartment, but it's not gonna get flooded or anything.

September 12th, 2018, 4:22 pm #6

No idea what sort of actual wonderfulness he's due to get- I just keep seeing the storm-track graphics on the news that show swirly bits covering everything from Miami to Chatanooga. 😁

Doc.

September 12th, 2018, 5:29 pm #7

TimoRu wrote: I live in South Carolina, so I'll get it before Curt. There may be some huddling in the basement here, but as long as I have electricity, I can work on the trains! :) No wife or kids (my daughter's [and Grandson!] safely out of the way in Phili). Or cat, either, anymore. :(

Looks like the whole state's going to get whacked to some degree.

Tim
Trains?  (he says, perking up)  I've got a line on some used track and switches (1200' of track and 5-6 #6 switches) I might get to add to my 7 1/2" layout.

My daughter and family live in Raleigh, NC.  Some of the projections have then a little out of the path but they're expecting something like 15" of rain.  A wet year where I live is 10" total, I think we're on 4" now and we're most of the way through the monsoon.  Rain should be better distributed.

September 12th, 2018, 8:17 pm #8

Looks like it's stalling.  Maybe it'll stop there and blow off to the northeast.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16 ... 25x375.gif

September 12th, 2018, 9:07 pm #9

I'm more concerned with the folks running Hot Rod Drag Week -- who are driving *towards* all that....
CF

"The right tool for the right job." [Anon.]
"Any tool can be the Right Tool." [Red Green]

September 12th, 2018, 11:22 pm #10

I too live in SC. Talk radio had a bit about a a Fox News story on Waffle House closings being a harbinger of doom. Here in the Upstate expected to downgrade to a tropical depression by Sunday.

Link to National Hurricane Center forecast track:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.s ... e#contents