September 14th, 2018, 1:30 pm #21

rkepler wrote:Trains?  (he says, perking up)  I've got a line on some used track and switches (1200' of track and 5-6 #6 switches) I might get to add to my 7 1/2" layout.

My daughter and family live in Raleigh, NC.  Some of the projections have then a little out of the path but they're expecting something like 15" of rain.  A wet year where I live is 10" total, I think we're on 4" now and we're most of the way through the monsoon.  Rain should be better distributed.
Mine are in N-scale, so sort of the opposite end of the size range from yours. I was involved in the relocation and construction of a 15" gauge railroad, but that gets to be a bit out of the "model" category.

Tim

September 14th, 2018, 4:23 pm #22

TimoRu wrote: Mine are in N-scale, so sort of the opposite end of the size range from yours. I was involved in the relocation and construction of a 15" gauge railroad, but that gets to be a bit out of the "model" category.
I'm not much for the "sneeze and you can lose and engine" scales since my fat fingers have some difficulty working on that end of things.  Even at 7 1/2" gauge I still use a lot of "no see um" threads (smallest is 0-80, and a setscrew in that size looks like particularly small swarf.)

15" would be fun but the nearest track I know of is about 14 hours drive.  Better than that would be some narrow gauge.  I could do volunteer stuff for the Cumbres & Toltec (4 hours away), might do that after I can relax in retirement.

September 14th, 2018, 9:05 pm #23

csadn wrote: I'm more concerned with the folks running Hot Rod Drag Week -- who are driving *towards* all that....
"This time on Roadkill..."

September 15th, 2018, 2:25 am #24

Sorry! just saw this. I don't frequent this board as much as I probably should.

As mentioned we are in the path of the storm but usually the jetstream + appalachian + 1000ft altitude take care of major storms. Anything that makes it this far.. well.. probably started with a mid-atlantic impact crater.

We'll get a lot of rain and some wind and not much else. The ones that make it into the gulf are a bit more bothersome, the same forces that drive this one away actually drive them toward us so we get a bit more rain and wind, but thats still all it is when it gets here.

Tornados on the other hand, we are at the eastern tip of tornado alley and get our share. I've had one go through my backyard and another over my house.  IMG_4170.JPG
that grill (and most of the furniture) started on the other side of the porch where I was standing to take the picture.

Thx for the concern though!

-Curt

September 15th, 2018, 10:53 pm #25

At least you and yours are alive, and safe. The rest is largely just stuff, and stuff can be replaced.

September 16th, 2018, 1:26 am #26

tcurt - good that only some deck furniture was rearranged and better that no injuries so far, hope it stays that way.

I promised some updates from SC, specifically York, SC (SW from Charlotte NC).  So far nothing bad storm related.  I did have some hardware event, yet to be determined and not related to the weather, that caused the physical server that was hosting 6 virtual servers to crap-out.  Fortunately, I had checked the backup status yesterday and it said it had a good backup from the night before.  I just hope it isn't lying to me.  I'll wait a few days, until the threat of an extended power outage has passed, to start it up and run diagnostics. On the weather subject, some wind here, a few tree parts (not big enough to call a limb) have hit the ground, a little rain.  Florence is slowed to a crawl, so it is expected to get worse over the next 12-36hrs. in this area.  Unfortunately, the stall is causing it to keep dumping on areas closer to the coast.  Thus far the rain has been light.  Here is a few of the graphs from the weather station.

September 19th, 2018, 4:32 am #27

Mrham: Any PC or Server that isn't on a battery backed UPS doesn't need to be run at all - especially when the weather is threatening nastiness... 

Get one UPS for each computer or server, and an Inverter Generator you can crank up and cut in when you can tell the orderly shutdown is going to take longer than the battery will cover. 

I have a simple CyberPower 1400VA Modified Sine Wave UPS for the Win10 (formerly Win7) desktop I'm on, and a 2KW Honeywell inverter Generator, both from Costco.  They have a newer version of both in warehouses now.