September 13th, 2018, 3:22 am #11

Thankfully, I live in Arizona, so the worst weather we generally get are 'microbursts' and the rare tornado, unless you count the oppressive heat in the summer (and the humidity double whammy during monsoon season- Think houston in summer).

Stay safe everyone!

September 13th, 2018, 3:53 pm #12

jecook wrote: Thankfully, I live in Arizona, so the worst weather we generally get are 'microbursts' and the rare tornado, unless you count the oppressive heat in the summer (and the humidity double whammy during monsoon season- Think houston in summer).

Stay safe everyone!
Yeah, microbursts can be scary. One early this month took out the carport roofs of a couple of trailers in our park. It's weird to see aluminum siding swirling around in the air - then running smack into high-voltage power lines.

You here in the Valley, Mr. Cook?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody

September 13th, 2018, 4:24 pm #13

Love microbursts in the desert after a hot day.  Impressive stuff, which usually precedes a wind storm of 30-40 kts and dust clouds a few hundred feet high marching along.  Fun stuff.  Reminds me, I still need to replace a tent pole.

September 13th, 2018, 5:01 pm #14

jwhouk wrote:
jecook wrote: Thankfully, I live in Arizona, so the worst weather we generally get are 'microbursts' and the rare tornado, unless you count the oppressive heat in the summer (and the humidity double whammy during monsoon season- Think houston in summer).

Stay safe everyone!
Yeah, microbursts can be scary. One early this month took out the carport roofs of a couple of trailers in our park. It's weird to see aluminum siding swirling around in the air - then running smack into high-voltage power lines.

You here in the Valley, Mr. Cook?
Yep, and that's as specific as I'll get. 😺

That reminds me, I need to get my ladder back and see if I can re-nail those crown shingles that came off in that storm in July.

September 13th, 2018, 5:10 pm #15

I'm getting really glad the most common thing about the weather here is moaning about it... ;)

Chloe

September 13th, 2018, 11:36 pm #17

this going on right now a few days after 9-11

September 14th, 2018, 1:03 am #18

I'm also in SC, well inland, and have the Davis weather station stuck up on a pipe clamped to the deck rail.  Unfortunately, the house blocks about 180 degrees and the trees block the rest, so the wind speed will be an accurate measurement of what passes over the deck; but, a poor relation to actual conditions.  I would need a 80-120 foot tower to get the anemometer into free air.  If the power and internet connection stays up, I'll post a few of the statistics from it.

September 14th, 2018, 1:21 am #19

smorizio wrote: this going on right now a few days after 9-11
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

September 14th, 2018, 1:22 am #20

(Dagnabbit. There's something wrong with the format of the Reply editor page.)
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!