So...about that bandsaw?

So...about that bandsaw?

January 30th, 2018, 1:42 am #1

a couple weeks ago I posted a video of an old craftsman commercial bandsaw (benchtop size) that I resurrected and finally got running again. Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YwHclJrsus

Doc mentioned I needed more weight on the head because it was cutting slow. I figured I didn't have the gas shock opened up enough.

We were both wrong.

Ok, try not to laugh...

Today, I installed my more aggressive band. Thinking that would also help make a difference. Swapped it in, laid a piece of 2x5 x .120 rectangle MS tubing in the clamps and fired it up. Again, it just creeped.

for some reason I got thinking "I wonder if there's a way to install the band so the teeth are going the wrong way. I couldn't think of any way possible, but still I looked at the blade as I shut it off.

I'll be damned... it's dragging the teeth across.

So...I swapped polarity at the motor, and set it back in motion. Holy hell does it cut now! LOL

I can't figure out why the blade would have been turning the wrong direction though... Everything was wired already when I got it. Are there blades that have teeth going the other direction?

January 30th, 2018, 1:48 am #2

Just got thinking... would they ship the blade inside out? It does seem strange I had to reverse polarity. Also, the teeth are now pulling away from the pivot. I'm thinking maybe they blade needs to be flipped inside out, and the polarity set back the way it was on the motor.

I said try not to laugh! One of those old-timers moments...

January 30th, 2018, 2:05 am #3

a couple weeks ago I posted a video of an old craftsman commercial bandsaw (benchtop size) that I resurrected and finally got running again. Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YwHclJrsus

Doc mentioned I needed more weight on the head because it was cutting slow. I figured I didn't have the gas shock opened up enough.

We were both wrong.

Ok, try not to laugh...

Today, I installed my more aggressive band. Thinking that would also help make a difference. Swapped it in, laid a piece of 2x5 x .120 rectangle MS tubing in the clamps and fired it up. Again, it just creeped.

for some reason I got thinking "I wonder if there's a way to install the band so the teeth are going the wrong way. I couldn't think of any way possible, but still I looked at the blade as I shut it off.

I'll be damned... it's dragging the teeth across.

So...I swapped polarity at the motor, and set it back in motion. Holy hell does it cut now! LOL

I can't figure out why the blade would have been turning the wrong direction though... Everything was wired already when I got it. Are there blades that have teeth going the other direction?
It happens.

January 30th, 2018, 2:32 am #4

Just got thinking... would they ship the blade inside out? It does seem strange I had to reverse polarity. Also, the teeth are now pulling away from the pivot. I'm thinking maybe they blade needs to be flipped inside out, and the polarity set back the way it was on the motor.

In your video, the band is definitely turning the correct direction. You can see the weld or other light spot passing by, indicating the direction- which in your case is indeed towards the pivot. (Which is how virtually every horizontal bandsaw I've ever seen does it.

And yes, it's very easy to get a blade "inside out". They're rolled for shipping- that is, twisted into three loops- and it's easy to try and "undo" that loop and wind up with the blade inside out.

Doc.

January 30th, 2018, 2:49 pm #5

It happens.
I've seen places where some homeowner mounted the outlets upside down just for the hell of it. Seen places where the orientation is different in different rooms. There's a slight charge on some of the plumbing in the house I grew up in, probably because some fixture somewhere is wired backward, but no one has found the backward connection in 50 years. And my grandfather was an electrician, and my brother is a communications tech.

Then there are people who violate the Second Law of Plumbing, and put the cold on the left.

January 30th, 2018, 3:08 pm #6

It happens.
It's AC (alternating current), reversing the connections gives you, AC!

The 'start' winding in the motor has to be reversed in respect to the main winding to change the rotation.

January 30th, 2018, 3:11 pm #7

Having the blade inside out is a mistake as old as the bandsaw blade itself.

January 30th, 2018, 4:09 pm #8

I've seen places where some homeowner mounted the outlets upside down just for the hell of it. Seen places where the orientation is different in different rooms. There's a slight charge on some of the plumbing in the house I grew up in, probably because some fixture somewhere is wired backward, but no one has found the backward connection in 50 years. And my grandfather was an electrician, and my brother is a communications tech.

Then there are people who violate the Second Law of Plumbing, and put the cold on the left.
*Then there are people who violate the Second Law of Plumbing, and put the cold on the left.*

And most of them work for the motel chains that I frequent.
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it!

January 30th, 2018, 4:44 pm #9

Mounting a receptacle that takes a NEMA 5-15 or 5-20 upside down isn't supposed to change the polarity. No matter how it's installed the wide slot in the front is supposed to be neutral, the narrow hot and ground should always be ground even if it's on top.

I've heard folks suggest that mounting the ground up 'protects' things by making something dropped and hitting an exposed plug tab less dangerous since it hits the ground first. I think that's kind of reaching for a reason, myself.

I finished building a house a couple of years ago and am pissed at all the safety 'improvements' in the electrical. You simply can't get a plug into an outlet with the stupid safety shutters in the way, the 'arc fault' breakers on all the convenience outlets snap open for no reason at all and in retrospect I should have shot the electrician I fired from the job as a warning to other electricians in the field for all the crap work I found after he was shoved off the property.

January 30th, 2018, 11:42 pm #10

Or for the house a grew up in, "modern circa 1928".

Push button & flip switches for the lights, cloth insulated wire, a random mix of copper, galvanized and that looked like lead pipe and for the win, a coal fired "Red Square" heater converted to burn oil. All it needed was a sign "Rube Goldberg slept here". House was built in 3 stages, pre-1776, approx 1806 and the 1928 update. Utterly random on switch and outlet orientation.

Eventually some new owners tore out the cedar shake, carved mantels, tongue-in-groove pine floor/walls, white cedar walls, oystershell & horse hair plaster then replaced it with all modern vinyl siding etc.

I was almost shocked to not see the pegged timbers in the dumpster as well.