Show us what you shot (or worked on) this weekend!

Show us what you shot (or worked on) this weekend!

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

July 1st, 2012, 11:13 am #1

We haven't done one of these in a while...

For those of you that played this weekend, show us what you were shooting. Bone stock is fine, but bonus points, of course, for modded.

And, if you didn't play, but spent some time working on something, show us what you were tinkering with!

I didn't get to play myself, but as I posted below, I (re)discovered an old Tribal I'd forgotten I had. Well, actually, two Tribals I'd forgotten I had. Both were trade-ins on parts or service years ago, and like many of my personal guns, were set aside to be tinkered with later, and eventually buried under all my other gear.

One's a red-black splash/fade that HB thinks is a BBT, the other's an all-black, plainly-milled Mephisto. The Meph is practically new- the sticker on the ASA is still in near perfect condition, and there's virtually no scratches or wear. The BBT was a parts-box special, given to me already partly-disassembled.

The BBT has been proving to be a headache, with multiple leaks and issues. The Meph, on the other hand, just needed a good cleaning, a bit of grease, a "bumper" for the valve (as several Tribaloids recommended) and a better air system.

Actually, near as I could tell, the stock foregrip reg was working fine, but I didn't want to tempt fate. I rooted around in my box-o-regs and found an old-style vertical-mount Max Flow (I'm still a fan of old Maxes) which would be prefect for running the gun on CO2.

Nothing particularly spectacular, but not bad for a few minutes' tinkering. Not a big fan of the aluminum bolt though, I might have to whip up a new Delrin jobbie for it...

Then the question becomes what do I do with it? What's a good low miles Tribal worth? Twenty bucks? Thirty if I leave the 12-year-old Revvy on it?

Doc.

Le_KiD_Qc
Le_KiD_Qc

July 1st, 2012, 3:56 pm #2

Since in Québec (Canada), this is the annual moving day, I moved from a small appartment to another appartment with a little more space. I passed the week preparing for the switch of appartment and I did it with my family in a single day with a trailer and a minivan. Moving from a second floor appartment to another second floor appartment make the day rough for the leg!
The good thing about this new appartment is that I will have some place to tinker that is NOT the kitchen table. My girlfriend will be happy with that and me too since I won't have to clean the workspace before I finish a project. I just have to find a good workbench for cheap that is not to heavy to be able to move up to the second floor.

Le_KiD_Qc
French guy doing is best in English.

Urban Werebear
Urban Werebear

July 1st, 2012, 4:11 pm #3

For those of you that played this weekend, show us what you were shooting. Bone stock is fine, but bonus points, of course, for modded.

And, if you didn't play, but spent some time working on something, show us what you were tinkering with!

I didn't get to play myself, but as I posted below, I (re)discovered an old Tribal I'd forgotten I had. Well, actually, two Tribals I'd forgotten I had. Both were trade-ins on parts or service years ago, and like many of my personal guns, were set aside to be tinkered with later, and eventually buried under all my other gear.

One's a red-black splash/fade that HB thinks is a BBT, the other's an all-black, plainly-milled Mephisto. The Meph is practically new- the sticker on the ASA is still in near perfect condition, and there's virtually no scratches or wear. The BBT was a parts-box special, given to me already partly-disassembled.

The BBT has been proving to be a headache, with multiple leaks and issues. The Meph, on the other hand, just needed a good cleaning, a bit of grease, a "bumper" for the valve (as several Tribaloids recommended) and a better air system.

Actually, near as I could tell, the stock foregrip reg was working fine, but I didn't want to tempt fate. I rooted around in my box-o-regs and found an old-style vertical-mount Max Flow (I'm still a fan of old Maxes) which would be prefect for running the gun on CO2.

Nothing particularly spectacular, but not bad for a few minutes' tinkering. Not a big fan of the aluminum bolt though, I might have to whip up a new Delrin jobbie for it...

Then the question becomes what do I do with it? What's a good low miles Tribal worth? Twenty bucks? Thirty if I leave the 12-year-old Revvy on it?

Doc.
...other than home maintenance this weekend. It was a busy couple of weeks, with two long runs and a slew of short ones (I'm currently driving a cargo van for a living). I've put in something like 4000 miles in the past two weeks.

Planning, however, that I'm doing in abundance. I'm contemplating a move to OTR semi driving, and figuring out ways to stay in touch and stay caught up on reading without having to lug a couple of hundred pounds of books around. My current laptop isn't up to the challenge, as the hard drive is failing and the motherboard/processor is slowly following suit.

So, currently, I'm looking at replacing my laptop and adding a webcam for purposes of calling home via Skype of some other video-conferencing service. If I'm reasoning correctly, hard drive capacity isn't that big a deal, since I can always get externals for that, but is it really worth the extra cash to get the I7 quad-core processor? And where does one find a good stripped-down OS these days? Windows is getting too bulky for my tastes.

Yes, these are the deep philosophical musings that occupy the mind of a werebear on the road, along with such existential ponderings as "Where's the next rest stop?" and "Should I get a motel room tonight?"

Urban Werebear
Urban Werebear

July 1st, 2012, 4:28 pm #4

Since in Québec (Canada), this is the annual moving day, I moved from a small appartment to another appartment with a little more space. I passed the week preparing for the switch of appartment and I did it with my family in a single day with a trailer and a minivan. Moving from a second floor appartment to another second floor appartment make the day rough for the leg!
The good thing about this new appartment is that I will have some place to tinker that is NOT the kitchen table. My girlfriend will be happy with that and me too since I won't have to clean the workspace before I finish a project. I just have to find a good workbench for cheap that is not to heavy to be able to move up to the second floor.

Le_KiD_Qc
My suggestion would be to get some inexpensive lumber and build your own, if that's in your skill set. The advantages are that a home-built workbench will fit the space you have for it, will be the height a width you prefer, and will be arranged how you like. The disadvantage is that it costs you in sweat (and sometimes blood, if you're a but clumsy like me).

Another good option is if schools and universities have sales of old furniture like desks and lab tables that are being replaced. I used to have an old chem lab table as an assembly/dismantling workbench. The top was sturdy and even penetrating lubricants would wipe right off. A hot soldering iron could be left directly on the tabletop and it wouldn't melt. (Before you ask, I have no idea what the surface was. It wasn't stone. It looked like some kind of plastic.)

At any rate, that's my two cents' worth. I hope it helps.

Tohri
Tohri

July 1st, 2012, 5:41 pm #5

Doc.

Been working on this little classic. Swapped out the shorty intake for the stock 4" bendy one.
The change in the power delivery just from lengthening the intake tract like that is pretty shocking. Lost a few MPH on the very top end, but gained throttle response and ridability all through the power band.

That's a 1979 Motobecane 50VL with a SIM pipe, 16mm SHA, and ported cylinder. Still not quite where I'd like it overall.
What I really want is the AV10 Reed inducted cases, and a nice burly 74cc cylinder. You know, when I have another $500 to drop on it.

Tohri
Tohri

July 1st, 2012, 5:41 pm #6

Doc.

Been working on this little classic. Swapped out the shorty intake for the stock 4" bendy one.
The change in the power delivery just from lengthening the intake tract like that is pretty shocking. Lost a few MPH on the very top end, but gained throttle response and ridability all through the power band.

That's a 1979 Motobecane 50VL with a SIM pipe, 16mm SHA, and ported cylinder. Still not quite where I'd like it overall.
What I really want is the AV10 Reed inducted cases, and a nice burly 74cc cylinder. You know, when I have another $500 to drop on it.

ta2maki
ta2maki

July 1st, 2012, 6:32 pm #7

Doc.
I cleaned and tuned an '03 Viking that I recently bought for a friend. The internals were very drenched in oil. I'm surprised that the solenoid was ok.

After having a hard time looking for my pressure test adapter and gauges(found scattered all over the house) to get the viking dialed in. I decided to set my pressure test kit in a foam lined case. Still need to cut the foam for the adapter sections but waiting until I get a few more pieces.

secretweaponevan
secretweaponevan

July 1st, 2012, 11:07 pm #8

Doc.
Here is the Pachislo I got working:

Here is a Capacitor Plauge victim that just came in:

Here is an old XP machine with problems:

Here is a test bench case I'm making from my first case:

Here is a Shure Mic that I had to rewire due to a short by the base of the gooseneck:

Hans
Hans

July 2nd, 2012, 4:18 am #9

Doc.
Bench has been at capacity for about 2 weeks now. Finally clearing them all out and getting them back to their owners soon

http://www.siegecraft.us/the_siege_blog ... empty.html

-Hans

MephitMark
MephitMark

July 2nd, 2012, 4:35 am #10

Le_KiD_Qc
I've kind of fallen for the Gorilla rack products.

http://www.gorillarack.com

Visting their web-site they have a collapsible work bench that is interesting. http://www.gorillarack.com/the-stowaway-p-96.html

But also of interest is their shelving. http://www.gorillarack.com/-c-78.html You can purchase the end frames that are 30" deep, but only 36" high! Use four 48" cross bars (2 for the top and 2 for bottom storage), put some plywood on top and you have a bench. And it can easily be disassembled very quickly when needed. I'm doing that in my basement for a better work bench myself.