Shoulda brought four...

Shoulda brought four...

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

August 6th, 2012, 1:30 pm #1

Had a chance to play again this weekend, and not only that, but on yet another new field. Some locals bought six acres specifically for a PB field, and while they're shooting for an official opening next spring, they've got a decent playable area already.

I cleared a couple of hours off my schedule for it despite the weather not really cooperating, and all in all, it wasn't a bad day.

Wasn't a great day, but like the T-shirt says, a bad day at paintball still beats a good day at work.

The first time I played this year- a bright, sunny, 70+ degree day- I packed the car. Multiple markers, spare barrels, a full set of tools, extra jersey, gear to sell, my full bag of camera equipment, you name it.

This time, however, I had planned to just show up, shoot a couple games and then get back to a couple of semi-time-sensitive projects. As such, I had planned to bring one gun, my SCUBA tank, some paper towels and just enough gear to play.

I decided, however, to this time take my E-Cocker. It's still in great condition (though I had to clean the Stabilizer out, as it was creeping) and I haven't used it in quite a while. I took the Etek as a spare, just in case, and on top of that, I took my Phantom pump.

I thought trying a pump game or two would be fun- another thing I haven't done in a long time- and I'd remembered that I had a direct-feed breech for it. Said breech I think I can be excused for forgetting about, since I haven't used it since about 1998. I'm not sure I've ever actually played a game with this gun NOT set up with the stock class feed...

And while I was dusting things off, I wound up using two other things I haven't used in a very long time:

That loader is an ancient Nasty Boys 150-rounder I bought back in '92 or so to go with my TASO Spartan. I doubt it's even been fitted to a gun for display purposes in at least fifteen years. I even still have the camo cover that velcros on.

And the tank is a 16-ounce "pineapple" tank that I bought new in '98 specifically for my Carbine, which was then- as now- one of my "grab it and go" markers. But having switched largely to HPA by that point (I'd had my own compressor since about '97) I never actually got around to using it.

In other words, it's been out of hydro for eight years, and I'd never even filled it.

Somewhere around here I even have an early Smart Parts "Smart Valve" I was going to put on it....

So anyway, I get to the field. I brought exactly two tools- a 3/16" allen wrench to adjust velocities on both the 'Cocker and the Etek, and the Phantom velocity rod. I brought nothing else.

First thing out of the gate, it turns out the fill nipple on the Flatline on the 'Cocker, won't fit the SCUBA full station. It fits in, but won't "latch". I only have about 500 psi left in that tank, which even with our small groups and quick games likely won't last long.

Technically the field operator could probably have filled it, but the tank is also technically out of hydro. (Don't yell- I technically haven't used the gun since 2004.)

Okay, fine, fall back to the Etek, which worked beautifully on a previous game day. Except it chops a ball almost immediately, and refuses to feed properly.

I fight with it for a while, over a couple of games, before I discover the problem isn't the gun (except for issues with the gooped eyes) its the recently-reshelled HALO. The drive cone is now spinning freely on the shaft- I suspect the plastic has disintegrated just as the shells did.

Anybody got a Rotor they want to sell?

I switched to the HALO off the 'Cocker, but the 'Tek still kept chopping. Admittedly the paint wasn't the greatest, and the occasionally drizzly conditions weren't the best, but that was way more chopping than I've ever dealt with on the field since I broke a wire nubbin in my Automag.

I suspect the goop on the eyes was at least partly the culprit.

I finally decided to try the Phantom. And here, while the gun worked perfectly- what can go wrong on a Phantom- I still couldn't hit anything. Unlike the 'Cocker-threaded guns, I only had the one barrel for the Phantom. In fact, that's the only Phantom barrel I own, save for one I modded to fit the Sovereign years ago.

Combine the rather damp conditions- including the goggle fog, to say nothing of it's effect on the paint- with the already pretty old and somewhat lumpy paint, along with the poor barrel fit, and I couldn't hit squat.

Now, don't get me wrong, it wasn't all doom and despair. I still had fun, I did get a few eliminations, and I got to be one of the first on a brand-new field.

But geez... I make a living working on these things and I needed a third backup gun? Maybe I should have brought one of those Carbines I built a couple weeks ago...

Still, all told I'd have rather been there than flipping burgers somewhere.

Doc.

newmaticarsenal
newmaticarsenal

August 6th, 2012, 4:30 pm #2

Granted I play at a field where I know the paint is .681 and they have just about any tool I might possibly need. I normally bring a new to me pump I'm not fully use to and my old reliable Phantom w/ my Lapco .681 and a .683. I also bring a 13cuin tank just in case I have a problem with the 12grams and a parts kit for the Phantom. I start with the new to me pump but always seem to switch over to my Phantom before the day ends.

I've found that when you spend most of your time working on other peoples equipment, yours is never as good as you would like.

tmk
tmk

August 6th, 2012, 4:51 pm #3

Had a chance to play again this weekend, and not only that, but on yet another new field. Some locals bought six acres specifically for a PB field, and while they're shooting for an official opening next spring, they've got a decent playable area already.

I cleared a couple of hours off my schedule for it despite the weather not really cooperating, and all in all, it wasn't a bad day.

Wasn't a great day, but like the T-shirt says, a bad day at paintball still beats a good day at work.

The first time I played this year- a bright, sunny, 70+ degree day- I packed the car. Multiple markers, spare barrels, a full set of tools, extra jersey, gear to sell, my full bag of camera equipment, you name it.

This time, however, I had planned to just show up, shoot a couple games and then get back to a couple of semi-time-sensitive projects. As such, I had planned to bring one gun, my SCUBA tank, some paper towels and just enough gear to play.

I decided, however, to this time take my E-Cocker. It's still in great condition (though I had to clean the Stabilizer out, as it was creeping) and I haven't used it in quite a while. I took the Etek as a spare, just in case, and on top of that, I took my Phantom pump.

I thought trying a pump game or two would be fun- another thing I haven't done in a long time- and I'd remembered that I had a direct-feed breech for it. Said breech I think I can be excused for forgetting about, since I haven't used it since about 1998. I'm not sure I've ever actually played a game with this gun NOT set up with the stock class feed...

And while I was dusting things off, I wound up using two other things I haven't used in a very long time:

That loader is an ancient Nasty Boys 150-rounder I bought back in '92 or so to go with my TASO Spartan. I doubt it's even been fitted to a gun for display purposes in at least fifteen years. I even still have the camo cover that velcros on.

And the tank is a 16-ounce "pineapple" tank that I bought new in '98 specifically for my Carbine, which was then- as now- one of my "grab it and go" markers. But having switched largely to HPA by that point (I'd had my own compressor since about '97) I never actually got around to using it.

In other words, it's been out of hydro for eight years, and I'd never even filled it.

Somewhere around here I even have an early Smart Parts "Smart Valve" I was going to put on it....

So anyway, I get to the field. I brought exactly two tools- a 3/16" allen wrench to adjust velocities on both the 'Cocker and the Etek, and the Phantom velocity rod. I brought nothing else.

First thing out of the gate, it turns out the fill nipple on the Flatline on the 'Cocker, won't fit the SCUBA full station. It fits in, but won't "latch". I only have about 500 psi left in that tank, which even with our small groups and quick games likely won't last long.

Technically the field operator could probably have filled it, but the tank is also technically out of hydro. (Don't yell- I technically haven't used the gun since 2004.)

Okay, fine, fall back to the Etek, which worked beautifully on a previous game day. Except it chops a ball almost immediately, and refuses to feed properly.

I fight with it for a while, over a couple of games, before I discover the problem isn't the gun (except for issues with the gooped eyes) its the recently-reshelled HALO. The drive cone is now spinning freely on the shaft- I suspect the plastic has disintegrated just as the shells did.

I switched to the HALO off the 'Cocker, but the 'Tek still kept chopping. Admittedly the paint wasn't the greatest, and the occasionally drizzly conditions weren't the best, but that was way more chopping than I've ever dealt with on the field since I broke a wire nubbin in my Automag.

I finally decided to try the Phantom. And here, while the gun worked perfectly- what can go wrong on a Phantom- I still couldn't hit anything. Unlike the 'Cocker-threaded guns, I only had the one barrel for the Phantom. In fact, that's the only Phantom barrel I own, save for one I modded to fit the Sovereign years ago.

Combine the rather damp conditions- including the goggle fog, to say nothing of it's effect on the paint- with the already pretty old and somewhat lumpy paint, along with the poor barrel fit, and I couldn't hit squat.

Now, don't get me wrong, it wasn't all doom and despair. I still had fun, I did get a few eliminations, and I got to be one of the first on a brand-new field.

But geez... I make a living working on these things and I needed a third backup gun? Maybe I should have brought one of those Carbines I built a couple weeks ago...

Doc.
Heh. The cobbler's kids are always barefoot... :)

PistolPeteOMHW
PistolPeteOMHW

August 7th, 2012, 9:49 am #4

Doc.
ninja turtles

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

August 7th, 2012, 10:13 am #5

I've used the same one myself many times.

Like the body-shop owner who drives a heavily dented truck. Especially for us one-man-shop types, you're either too busy to work on your own stuff, or, as also happens, you tend to lose interest in your own gear, and would prefer to spend your off-time doing something besides more shopwork.

I've gone through both of those at various times, and to go along with them, there's the simple fact that apart from rare occasions, I really didn't even need my own equipment. With no local fields (there hasn't been an "official" one within 150 miles since mine closed in '98) I hardly needed to spend much time keeping my own kit in top trim.

And since I've pretty much always preferred working on the equipment over actually playing, most of my gear has spent more time disassembled and either being modded or awaiting mods, than out on the field.

Now, as doom-and-despair as my post above may have sounded, it really wasn't that bad. Had I really needed to, I could have simply driven home- only about five or six miles- and picked up my other SCUBA fill station. Or one of the aforementioned Carbines. (Or the A5, or the M98, or the 'Cocker, etc.)

Had I the time to spend more of the day there, I probably would have. I'm kinda jonsin' to shoot the E-Blade again.

Ditto the tools. Just 'cause I didn't bring mine didn't mean there were no tools available. Wouldn't have been anything at all to borrow the small key to take the Etek eye covers off and clean them out. (If that was indeed the problem.) Heck, if the old paint was the problem, the field had cases of fresh on hand.

I just need to get back in the groove with my gear. I've been away for a while.

Doc.

Yochinaman
Yochinaman

August 7th, 2012, 1:20 pm #6

Doc.
You're right nothing can really go wrong with a pump. I have been using the same Halo B for several years now (original clear cracked shell :D) and it has never failed me. Hearing this story makes me want to pack my revvy just in case. Then again, I haven't gotten a chance to play this year yet

y

RobAGD
RobAGD

August 7th, 2012, 7:35 pm #7

Doc.
I know that feeling Doc, Got the itch to play with the Works cocker, so I had the gear bag at the shop. Start my changing all the batteries in the Halos (3), Making sure all barrels were clean (8), Gassed up and chrono'ed the guns (4) Works Cocker, Ion, hAir Mag, DM3, Fill Tanks (4) 2 45/4500 and 2 68/4500.

Everything was in tested working order.

Next morning at the field grab the cocker, and some how the ram was bent to the point of not working, ok grab the Ion, at this point I had owned it since new and I have NEVER played a game with it, it had been my loaner gun to the kids on the team w/o a back up. Gas it up and the stock reg gives up the ghost spiking the gauge and popping a hose. Grab the DM3 and it sounds like someone is stepping on frogs and it not happy with something ( wasn't doing that the night before ) So go back to old reliable and Grab the hAir, not a hick up out of it, shot 2 cases of paint, played the full day and only issues were 2 of my 4 tanks were out of hydro (woopsie).

As a guy that works in a shop, I kinda pride myself on my kit always working, I had a serious complex that day about my stuff and the fact that I had to goto my 4th gun.

As to your flatline fill nipple, those were spec'ed by Tom for 6k pressures as I recall and are very tight on tolerances, you will typically find that cheaper ( 4 ball ) couplers have more issues with them than the better 6 ball fosters. For when I was playing tournaments I had made a coupler with a god foster on end and a cheap nipple on the other to avoid issues.

-Robert

Tohri
Tohri

August 7th, 2012, 10:39 pm #8

ninja turtles
You have infinite resources compared to what I have even now, and I pulled it off ages ago, but a pneumatic triggered carbine is a wonderous thing. And you can do it with a set of stock cocker pneumatics.

The trick is setting up the 4-way valve Sovereign style, with a swing trigger

Vulpis
Vulpis

August 7th, 2012, 11:23 pm #9

I've used the same one myself many times.

Like the body-shop owner who drives a heavily dented truck. Especially for us one-man-shop types, you're either too busy to work on your own stuff, or, as also happens, you tend to lose interest in your own gear, and would prefer to spend your off-time doing something besides more shopwork.

I've gone through both of those at various times, and to go along with them, there's the simple fact that apart from rare occasions, I really didn't even need my own equipment. With no local fields (there hasn't been an "official" one within 150 miles since mine closed in '98) I hardly needed to spend much time keeping my own kit in top trim.

And since I've pretty much always preferred working on the equipment over actually playing, most of my gear has spent more time disassembled and either being modded or awaiting mods, than out on the field.

Now, as doom-and-despair as my post above may have sounded, it really wasn't that bad. Had I really needed to, I could have simply driven home- only about five or six miles- and picked up my other SCUBA fill station. Or one of the aforementioned Carbines. (Or the A5, or the M98, or the 'Cocker, etc.)

Had I the time to spend more of the day there, I probably would have. I'm kinda jonsin' to shoot the E-Blade again.

Ditto the tools. Just 'cause I didn't bring mine didn't mean there were no tools available. Wouldn't have been anything at all to borrow the small key to take the Etek eye covers off and clean them out. (If that was indeed the problem.) Heck, if the old paint was the problem, the field had cases of fresh on hand.

I just need to get back in the groove with my gear. I've been away for a while.

Doc.
Here's a weird thought for you--I'm wondering how small a space you could pack a relatively fully well-equipped shop into, and maybe convert, say, an ice cream truck (yeah, yeah, cue the 'Ice cream trucks in Alaska' jokes from those of us who think it's all tundra and igloos) or one of those diner-trucks (not sure what they're actually called offhand--they're smallish trucks with the large side doors and interiors looking like they're made of quilted aluminum that carry pre-made snacks and sometimes small eletric stoves and such.)

Of course, I have no clue if such a portable shop would be useful to you at all (repairs that would require that kind of tooling in the first place taking longer than you'd be at the field, etc). And the Shadowrun fans around would likely take to calling it the DocWagon.

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

August 8th, 2012, 12:12 am #10

It depends on how complex a shop you're talking about.

For 99% of day-to-day on-field repairs, I just need a tool kit the size of a loaf of bread. There's really not that much on a paintball gun that needs, say, a long pipe wrench or a floor jack or an oxyacetylene torch.

My typical kit for a full day at the field- at least back in the day- was basically a specialized set of hand tools. The usual allen wrenches and standard open-end wrenches, various pliers and screwdrivers, all the way down to specialty stuff like swiss needle files, an eXacto, an 1/8" pipe tap and die, and a set of quality electrical pliers mainly used for the shear which can cut machine screws down to size.

On top of that, I'd have a little bin-box full of various O-rings, screws, a few basic hose fittings and plugs, and whatever repair parts might come to mind, like Tippmann detents, 'Cocker LP hose, generic Nelson springs and - back in the day- Automag reg seats.

Using all that, there was very little I couldn't fix at the field.

Of course, there's lots more that can go wrong that can't be fixed with just an O-ring and a bit of teflon tape. Like stripped screw holes, broken feed necks, bad pin valves...

With not much work, one could put together a surprisingly complete mobile workshop in a van or even something like an Explorer or Blazer.

I've thought about it off and on over the years- we once even looked at an old city transit type bus not only to carry all the field gear (we didn't leave it at the field) but also as a sort of team bus and mobile workshop.

Down there in the States, it might be a fun idea. Bud Orr, I'm told, got his start by towing just such a shop-in-a-box trailer to the local very popular field and doing both repairs and sales. Up here in Alaska- even up in Anchorage, let alone down here- it'd be kind of a waste.

But just for the sake of the argument, a mobile shop would be easy. As I've said before, in my early days, I had very little- a Jet mill-drill, a small lathe, a bare handful of cutters and drills, a few hand tools, and a bench grinder-slash-buffer. There's no reason that couldn't be put into a full-size van, or better yet, a small box van.

Add in some storage for spare parts, jam a shop compressor in there, a good-sized tank of CO2, a big vise on a sturdy work table, and a small tool chest of hand tools. No sweat.

I remember back when Smart Parts was starting to circle the drain, they put one of their tourney trailers up for sale. Big semi-trailer type thing, one side opened up to reveal sales counters with glass display cases, and inside was a workbench with a vise. That'd be far more than enough room for both a workshop and a retail store.

Doc.