setting up space for a soldering station.

setting up space for a soldering station.

Austin J
Austin J

March 26th, 2012, 5:26 pm #1

I don't exactly have the garage space to make a little work desk and everything.
Most of the rooms have carpeted floors but good ventilation. (I think..).

My computer room gets decent ventilation here and there. I also have a air filter thing in this room.

Anyways, onwards, what are steps I should take to setup a place for little DIY kits, experiments, etc.
Pretty much just starting out and re-learning everything again.

Thanks guys!,
Shroker

Nobody
Nobody

March 26th, 2012, 6:11 pm #2

i don't have any space dedicated, so i have to keep it mobile, which is a pain. but as long as you have your iron, flux, solder, brush(learned to brush off the carbon, instead of using the sponge), and a decent surface that won't catch fire(i use a piece of old countertop), razorblades(to cut off the old heatshrink tubing), nippers/cutters, strippers(the wire kind, the female type won't mesh with your GF/wife, but if can get it to work, more power to you), a stand for the gun/iron. other than the countertop, i fit all of that in in small tool box.

if i had a dedicated space, i would throw in a set of holders/alligator clips(to go hands free), a nice light, variable temp iron is also nice,and having a butane or cordless iron is also nice to have, spools of wire and heatshrink tubing. that's about it.

Austin J
Austin J

March 26th, 2012, 8:53 pm #3

Yeah, I probably won't have place to set it up but a piece of something to put all that ontop so it won't catch on fire I defintely can do.

I was thinking of picking up a soldering statoin with a variable temp control.
One of those Weller ones. Weller WESD-51.

Have a tool box for all that stuff in the future. .

Probably set shop up in my computer room when I want to sit down and work on some things.

How about ventilation and keeping the smoke away from you? Goggles? Tiny fan? etc?

Attic Rat
Attic Rat

March 26th, 2012, 10:32 pm #4

If you need to pull a lot of soldering fumes, a small sheet of plywood lying on a cold stove-top under the vent hood will do for a work surface in a pinch. I could mention that I've done a lot of soldering in ordinary workshops with no additional ventilation, but then you'd probably just nod and think, "so that's how he got like that."

ta2maki
ta2maki

March 27th, 2012, 3:26 am #5

Yeah, I probably won't have place to set it up but a piece of something to put all that ontop so it won't catch on fire I defintely can do.

Probably set shop up in my computer room when I want to sit down and work on some things.

How about ventilation and keeping the smoke away from you? Goggles? Tiny fan? etc?
Either holding my breath or lightly blowing it away. I don't solder all that much, maybe a 50 small components or so at a time at the most. The big stuff gets done outside/garage. How much soldering do you plan on doing? Moving air around the part you want to solder just makes it harder to do.

Ari
Ari

March 27th, 2012, 2:14 pm #6

I solder under the same hood my shop uses for everything else. If you have a kitchen stove vent, working under that will be enough to pull the collumn of smoke away from you.

I refuse to solder with anything but a lead alloy, however I do enjoy my brains working properly.

As for soldering equipment, I still swear by Hexacon equipment. Just found out that the stained glass shop next door to me uses a Hexacon soldering station.

The stained glass shop also uses a little filter contraption because he doesn't have a fume hood, and works with pure lead. I think the brand on it was 'fume eater', but I'm not sure.

isuckatmoney
isuckatmoney

March 27th, 2012, 11:05 pm #7

instructables.com

lots of other things that you can make too.

Austin J
Austin J

March 28th, 2012, 6:05 pm #8

I will flip thorugh those!

Austin J
Austin J

March 29th, 2012, 10:35 pm #9

I don't exactly have the garage space to make a little work desk and everything.
Most of the rooms have carpeted floors but good ventilation. (I think..).

My computer room gets decent ventilation here and there. I also have a air filter thing in this room.

Anyways, onwards, what are steps I should take to setup a place for little DIY kits, experiments, etc.
Pretty much just starting out and re-learning everything again.

Thanks guys!,
Shroker
any tip suggestoins for the Weller WESD51?
Probably going to start basic but plan to do microprocs at some point and building kits like Microphone kits.

Austin