Selling a piece of history, take-2

Selling a piece of history, take-2

Curt
Curt

July 19th, 2012, 9:50 pm #1

Very few responded to the thread below, I know, but I got loads of inquiries so I created a write-up and welcome one and all (feel free to distribute to anyone you think might be interested)

http://northarc.com/angel/

-Curt

ydna
ydna

July 20th, 2012, 4:38 am #2

I'd love to pick up that marker, it'd be a pretty good piece to have. But I know my accountant would slap me silly if I spent any more cash on paintball parts this month. ah well, better luck next time..

Nobody
Nobody

July 20th, 2012, 5:33 am #3

Very few responded to the thread below, I know, but I got loads of inquiries so I created a write-up and welcome one and all (feel free to distribute to anyone you think might be interested)

-Curt
but what i would like to know is, what was your G-series board for the B2K? i am compiling a B2K board post on ICDO(ICD owners), trying to list, with pictures and links to programming of all the boards available for the B2K. i have come up with about 15+ different kinds(though there are multiple Chaos boards, for example) of boards from stock to aftermarket. but, there is little to no records of your B2K boards.

so, if you could either, go through your files, or even link me a write up, i would greatly appreciate it, as do the other ICDO'ers for a another piece of history.

also, i still have your Cocker, though, it needs orings for the 4-way.

Pump Scout
Pump Scout

July 20th, 2012, 12:22 pm #4

-Curt
I'll throw this up over on the BST thread in the Angel section on PBN. There's a lot of very serious Angel collectors in there.

Ben

Curt
Curt

July 20th, 2012, 6:50 pm #5

but what i would like to know is, what was your G-series board for the B2K? i am compiling a B2K board post on ICDO(ICD owners), trying to list, with pictures and links to programming of all the boards available for the B2K. i have come up with about 15+ different kinds(though there are multiple Chaos boards, for example) of boards from stock to aftermarket. but, there is little to no records of your B2K boards.

so, if you could either, go through your files, or even link me a write up, i would greatly appreciate it, as do the other ICDO'ers for a another piece of history.

also, i still have your Cocker, though, it needs orings for the 4-way.
We never made a separate product for the B2K, I'm pretty sure we made a "Predator"-brand drop-in for it but that was all it was ever called.

Still have that cocker? I miss it. I tuned that marker to fire smooth and perfect, with every aftermarket shiney-dodad I could find. I hope it has given you good service. I might still want to try and buy it back from you .. hmm..

Nobody
Nobody

July 20th, 2012, 9:41 pm #6

the Gabriel was for the Angel
the Glacier was for the Shocker
the Gale Force was for the Rainmaker
but Gladiator?

that's why i referred to them as your G-series, since all the names where started with a G.

there were reflashes of the stock boards with Preadtor-lite code, as well as full version of Predator. but i'm talking way back in your KM2 days. i know that is nearly 10 years ago and its asking a lot. i'm not proficient with the way back machine as i would like, as i don't even remember the old URL, so i have to use my contacts to get the people first hand, like yourself.

"Curt's Cocker", its taken some hits. apparently, if you let paint sit on anno'd aluminium over the winter after playing with it, it will effect the anno. the feed neck and vert ASA are damamged, which pains me to even tell everyone. as i said, the 4-way orings are shot and have yet to find a decent replacement for them. so she's a leaking.

i still have both barrels and both tanks(the one did leak out the valve). the hopper was long gone. broken in 01, but i still have the shells. i would not be adverse to an offer from you. as much as it served me, its not getting the love anymore. she's effectively a wall-hanger at this point. though i have pimped out some of Doc's mods on it, and it still got people's heads turning that they were simple yet thoroughly effective. hell, i've gotten into arguments over that gun, when people want to tell me that it doesn't or can't exist.

so think it over and we can either deal through the phone or through email. don't want to do this over in the forum.

bunker_o_matic`
bunker_o_matic`

July 20th, 2012, 10:41 pm #7

The mods which can't exist have me curious...

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

July 21st, 2012, 2:02 am #8

I, too, am curious to hear why the gun might not have been able to exist.

Here's a photo of the raw body (stood up on a loose feedneck as a sort of pedestal):

The milling is, I think, fairly nice, and was pretty fancy for the time ('99-to-'01-ish) but is of course nothing particularly special today. One of the main tricks, though, is the front block; The body is a pre-2000, that originally still had the small valve chamber and small front block bolt.

Of course, the 2K-up mod bumped the original 3/8"-24 front block bolt to a larger 9/16"-24, which along with additional internal drilling, added quite a bit of valve chamber volume, which was necessary to run lower pressure, higher-flow valves such as the Tornado.

I wanted to try something different, so I came up with the outer-edge bolts in a custom block. The block sealed to the body with an O-ring, and the resulting internal volume was, as I recall, something like half again larger than even a 2K-up body.

Anyway, I eventually annoed it (leaving the front block polished- I think Curt may have asked for that) and fitted it with some nice parts for the time. Here's how it looked when I shipped it off:

You can't quite tell, but I drilled holes in the trigger plate behind the trigger shoe (this was a couple of years before AKA started selling triggers with "lightening" holes.) The rest of the obvious stuff is a first-gen Palmer's QuikRam (still my fave, and I was disappointed when Palmer's discontinued that style) an original-style "Jackhammer" LPR, a nickled or chromed 3-way of whose make I can't recall, a 14" Boomstick and a vertical Stabilizer.

The drop-forward is one of mine, fitted with some stainless line up to the reg. Internally, it's a Tornado valve, carefully sprung, going through a nickeled Lightning bolt with stock pull-pin.

Other little tricks- note the vertical ASA is milled through so the front block can be removed as a complete unit, without having to undo the 3-way linkage, and also note how the Stab adjusting screw was so far out (I seem to recall it ran right at 160 psi) that I made a "tourney lock" ring for it.

And, although I somehow never noticed it, note how the Jackhammer LPR is crooked. I know Curt pointed it out to me, but I can't recall whether it was a bent nipple or I managed to somwhoe tap the hole crooked.

It's still one of the best 'Cockers I've ever assembled, or at least one of my favorites since it's extremely trick, yet still understated. (IE, not too much chrome, no five-color splash/sponge/fade anno, etc.)

I've always wanted to find another one of those grip frames, which I'm told, but was never able to confirm, was an early Bob Long product.

And I would be interested to see it again, and perhaps get some better photos of it. I rarely see my creations again after they leave here, and it's always interesting to see how they've held up- or in some cases, have been abused.

Doc.

Doc Nickel
Doc Nickel

July 21st, 2012, 2:12 am #9

-Curt
I'm not sure even Curt spotted them, but notice the countersunk grip frame screws. I'm pretty sure I did that "just 'cause it was cool", and people almost never notice it. Had to make my own tool to do it, and I still have yet to see anyone else do it.

Oh, and within a couple of years, I'd come up with a full miniature eye cover, like so:

Which reminds me of a third thin- note how, in Curt's very last photo- see the grind marks around the circuit board mounting screw? We had some issues with the controller actually grounding through the metal case of the photodetector we were using at the time. Since the newly-drilled hole was bare aluminum (anodizing is more or less nonconductive) it could ground to the board. We had to remember to isolate the mounting screw during the conversion.

I seem to recall having to send a few directly to Curt to troubleshoot an install, 'til we got that one figured out.

Doc.

Nobody
Nobody

July 21st, 2012, 2:30 am #10

I, too, am curious to hear why the gun might not have been able to exist.

Here's a photo of the raw body (stood up on a loose feedneck as a sort of pedestal):

The milling is, I think, fairly nice, and was pretty fancy for the time ('99-to-'01-ish) but is of course nothing particularly special today. One of the main tricks, though, is the front block; The body is a pre-2000, that originally still had the small valve chamber and small front block bolt.

Of course, the 2K-up mod bumped the original 3/8"-24 front block bolt to a larger 9/16"-24, which along with additional internal drilling, added quite a bit of valve chamber volume, which was necessary to run lower pressure, higher-flow valves such as the Tornado.

I wanted to try something different, so I came up with the outer-edge bolts in a custom block. The block sealed to the body with an O-ring, and the resulting internal volume was, as I recall, something like half again larger than even a 2K-up body.

Anyway, I eventually annoed it (leaving the front block polished- I think Curt may have asked for that) and fitted it with some nice parts for the time. Here's how it looked when I shipped it off:

You can't quite tell, but I drilled holes in the trigger plate behind the trigger shoe (this was a couple of years before AKA started selling triggers with "lightening" holes.) The rest of the obvious stuff is a first-gen Palmer's QuikRam (still my fave, and I was disappointed when Palmer's discontinued that style) an original-style "Jackhammer" LPR, a nickled or chromed 3-way of whose make I can't recall, a 14" Boomstick and a vertical Stabilizer.

The drop-forward is one of mine, fitted with some stainless line up to the reg. Internally, it's a Tornado valve, carefully sprung, going through a nickeled Lightning bolt with stock pull-pin.

Other little tricks- note the vertical ASA is milled through so the front block can be removed as a complete unit, without having to undo the 3-way linkage, and also note how the Stab adjusting screw was so far out (I seem to recall it ran right at 160 psi) that I made a "tourney lock" ring for it.

And, although I somehow never noticed it, note how the Jackhammer LPR is crooked. I know Curt pointed it out to me, but I can't recall whether it was a bent nipple or I managed to somwhoe tap the hole crooked.

It's still one of the best 'Cockers I've ever assembled, or at least one of my favorites since it's extremely trick, yet still understated. (IE, not too much chrome, no five-color splash/sponge/fade anno, etc.)

I've always wanted to find another one of those grip frames, which I'm told, but was never able to confirm, was an early Bob Long product.

And I would be interested to see it again, and perhaps get some better photos of it. I rarely see my creations again after they leave here, and it's always interesting to see how they've held up- or in some cases, have been abused.

Doc.
when it was pretty much my main gun for 2+ years(bought it from Curt in Sept. 01, yup it was in transit during that month and i was afraid that events would make it never get to me). i would toss numbers around that i was quoted and either "they already get better efficiency numbers" or its impossible to get those numbers(1500 shoots off a 12oz anti-siphon, never counted the HPA numbers though). as well as, the mods, for which they could see, were scoffed at or just not understood what they did or how they worked in conjunction with the rest.

Doc, if you want to take a look at it, possibly fix the Shocktech Bomb(Curt put it on after getting it back from you, i believe) with some new orings and possibly go through it, you are more than welcome to do so. you are one of the few people that i would trust with this without expecting something in return.

if you want to go through it, let me know. i can have it in the mail by next week, or whenever you are ready for it.