RIP Steve Jobs

RIP Steve Jobs

Thru-Hiker
Thru-Hiker

October 6th, 2011, 1:02 am #1

it's like a million fan-boys cried out at once, and then were suddenly silenced.

Nighthawke
Nighthawke

October 6th, 2011, 2:28 am #2

*BONG!*

(The sound of a Quadra 950 booting... It does not get any more dramatic than the bong from a 950.)

MephitMark
MephitMark

October 6th, 2011, 7:27 am #3

it's like a million fan-boys cried out at once, and then were suddenly silenced.
If there is anything to be said for Steve Jobs that could even come remotely close to summarizing him, it would have to be simply this: he was a true visionary. He could envision something and then know how to make it real. Not only for himself, but so many others as well.

The personal computer of to day would far less then what they are, because of Steve Jobs. I never got to really like the Apple much because it was so different from the PC's I normally used as a CAD drafter/designer. But what I to know is it was no cheap copy of some one else work.

If anything, I believe that we could have used a great deal more of people like Mister Jobs everywhere, education, government and more.

Thru-Hiker
Thru-Hiker

October 6th, 2011, 9:33 am #4

Technical genius? Yes. Beloved person who made this world a better place? Not even close.

sniper1rfa
sniper1rfa

October 6th, 2011, 10:45 am #5

nobody deserves to die, and certainly not an early death from disease.

I think that's one of those cases where you just say nothing if you have nothing to say.

Thru-Hiker
Thru-Hiker

October 6th, 2011, 10:54 am #6

Nobody said anything about "deserving" to die.

Are people suppose to offer empty platitudes on what a great guy he is, even if it's not true? Only say good things simply because he's dead?

Nohbody
Nohbody

October 6th, 2011, 12:13 pm #7

... Jobs lost during the Obama administration.

(not original to me)

Seriously, having had family die of pancreatic cancer (even if not a particularly well-regarded family member), his loved ones have my condolences.

That doesn't mean I think he's immune to being the subject of a joke, however.

Nighthawke
Nighthawke

October 6th, 2011, 1:55 pm #8

If there is anything to be said for Steve Jobs that could even come remotely close to summarizing him, it would have to be simply this: he was a true visionary. He could envision something and then know how to make it real. Not only for himself, but so many others as well.

The personal computer of to day would far less then what they are, because of Steve Jobs. I never got to really like the Apple much because it was so different from the PC's I normally used as a CAD drafter/designer. But what I to know is it was no cheap copy of some one else work.

If anything, I believe that we could have used a great deal more of people like Mister Jobs everywhere, education, government and more.
Tributes to his legacy each time we hit the power button on one of his creations and hear the startup bong or chimes? Yes.

J. Cook
J. Cook

October 6th, 2011, 3:33 pm #9

... Jobs lost during the Obama administration.

(not original to me)

Seriously, having had family die of pancreatic cancer (even if not a particularly well-regarded family member), his loved ones have my condolences.

That doesn't mean I think he's immune to being the subject of a joke, however.
I lost my aunt to lung cancer a couple years ago, and it was not pretty. In all honesty, I would not wish death by cancer on my worst enemy.

The original MacOS and Lisa/Macintosh was the first commercial implementation of a grand user interface experiment at Xerox PARC; It's been copied by just about everyone since then. (Windows, OS/2, AmigaOS, the many iterations on X windows, etc.) Several other innovations are around primarily due to Apple. Desktop publishing, image manipulation, and WYSIWYG from screen to print are the main ones I credit to apple for bringing to the mainstream. Apple's hardware is generally well designed (if a bit of a brat to actually work on) and tends to last longer then it's PC counterparts. That makes it worth the price markup.

That having been said, I don't agree with some of Apple's business practices and some of their behaviors, so I'm not what I would consider a fanboi.

As to Mr. Job himself? Certainly a creative genius, but he did have an air of smug arrogance about him at times. (which, if my remembrance of history is correct, is pretty on par with most creative geniuses.)