Removing the fiber from an HPA tank?

Removing the fiber from an HPA tank?

December 6th, 2017, 2:38 pm #1

Can I easily separate the fiber wrap from the aluminum core of a HPA tank?

Why? scrap aluminum.
The local fire dept has 400 SCBA tanks on auction . What can you do with expired tanks? Pretty much nothing....

Some drawings show a liner between the aluminum and the wrap..
I was hoping that I could band saw them in half and pop them apart like peanuts.

Does anyone have experience in cutting some apart?

December 6th, 2017, 2:50 pm #2

December 6th, 2017, 2:53 pm #3

Why? scrap aluminum.
The local fire dept has 400 SCBA tanks on auction . What can you do with expired tanks? Pretty much nothing....

I was hoping that I could band saw them in half and pop them apart like peanuts.

Just because the tanks are 'expired' doesn't mean they have NO pressure left in them. Taking a band saw to a pressurized metallic structure seems... a most unwise venture. And recycling that is going to be a LOT more complicated than recycling soda cans. For one thing, I believe it's going to be a different alloy (4% copper, if memory serves), which is going to change things significantly.

If it would have been profitable for the fire department to recycle them, I'm pretty sure they would have just recycled them.

December 6th, 2017, 4:58 pm #4

Why? scrap aluminum.

before you go crazy call and speak with people that might take the tanks in. some placed might take the tanks as is like hot water tanks. also find out the price per tank/pound. i took back some old water like copper wire and was shocked on what the local recycler paid me for few hundred feet of old wire.

December 6th, 2017, 8:09 pm #5

Why? scrap aluminum.

all layers are bonded to each other otherwise they would fail hydro during the life span. A reason why there is an expiration date on them is that eventually the bond breaks down with age and # of cycles of pressurization. The dates are on the conservative side , # of cycles is also considered in the judgement of those dates last I herd the cycles were base on hundreds of times a day.

December 6th, 2017, 9:32 pm #6

Just because the tanks are 'expired' doesn't mean they have NO pressure left in them. Taking a band saw to a pressurized metallic structure seems... a most unwise venture. And recycling that is going to be a LOT more complicated than recycling soda cans. For one thing, I believe it's going to be a different alloy (4% copper, if memory serves), which is going to change things significantly.

If it would have been profitable for the fire department to recycle them, I'm pretty sure they would have just recycled them.
It'll be fine. They're the 2216 psi units. Any air left in them will just blow the shavings out of way. .
Thank you for your concern though and some people would need the reminder...Darwin and all.

You must not be familiar with gubmint employees. They typically go the path of least resistance, avoid any physical exertion what-so-ever and mostly don't give a damn about taxpayer monies.

We recently purchased some used water meters from a town 1.5hrs away.
They filled two good sized trailers ( 20 ft dump beds) . We knocked off the gauges, removed some of the cast iron bits and bolts and turned in 6000 lbs of brass at $1.90ish a lb.

We still have to take the gauges apart for the copper housings and brass gears. Good winter project .

$10K profit so far.

December 6th, 2017, 9:38 pm #7

The add does not specify age of tanks. I'm sure that they're aware of Hydro and lifespans and such.
High bid is $21 at this point.