Rally run through San Francisco.

Rally run through San Francisco.

Salda007
Salda007

July 9th, 2012, 7:25 pm #1

Not sure how much they paid to whom to arrange for this one, but I must say it's rather epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDN2bCIyus

CF
CF

July 9th, 2012, 9:44 pm #2

Money is only one aspect; I can only imagine the Epic Permitage they had to acquire.

Also: Note the shadows -- it appears they used the same approach the makers of The Omega Man used to get shots of an empty Los Angeles: Film very early on a Sunday (or maybe several Sundays) morning, before the traffic gets going.

Robin Bobcat
Robin Bobcat

July 9th, 2012, 11:50 pm #3

According to the notes, it was shot over four days. Not that hard to block off a street or two for an hour. I do question where all the people are. Even if they shot VERY early, there's enough people wandering about SF to have a spectator or three.

Also, shooting early in SF isn't easy - year-round AM fog.

CF
CF

July 10th, 2012, 9:28 pm #4

I did suggest a multiple-day shoot.

Based on the shadows, I'm guessing sometime ~0830 or later.

Stu Friedberg
Stu Friedberg

July 10th, 2012, 9:31 pm #5

Not sure how much they paid to whom to arrange for this one, but I must say it's rather epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDN2bCIyus
I've been watching the first season of Initial D (Japanese mountain pass racing show) and this video equals (in real life) anything shown in that animated TV show. Powerslides around greater than 180 degree hairpins. Drifts interrupted by 30 feet of air time.

Just awesome, awesome fun! Thanks for posting that!

Robin Bobcat
Robin Bobcat

July 13th, 2012, 9:17 am #6

I did suggest a multiple-day shoot.

Based on the shadows, I'm guessing sometime ~0830 or later.
Again, San Fran is a bustling city any hour of any day... still possible though. If they did it on Sunday morning, it might work. SF is a startlingly sleepy town Sunday mornings before nine. If you scout out your locations based on traffic, even moreso. Still impressed with the empty Bay Bridge shot, though.