Rackety Raccoon?

August 10th, 2018, 10:01 pm #1

In the last panel of today's (8-10-18) strip the raccoon looks like Rackety Raccoon from the old Pogo comic.  Is that coincidence?

August 11th, 2018, 12:15 am #2

GlennSellers wrote: In the last panel of today's (8-10-18) strip the raccoon looks like Rackety Raccoon from the old Pogo comic.  Is that coincidence?
It's sure a very good likeness, even it the li'l ol' manner of speakin' doesn't quite match. 

I've got a cornsirable collection of Pogo books.

The bear I don't recognize.

August 11th, 2018, 12:25 am #3

PoisonOakMagnet wrote:
GlennSellers wrote: In the last panel of today's (8-10-18) strip the raccoon looks like Rackety Raccoon from the old Pogo comic.  Is that coincidence?
It's sure a very good likeness, even it the li'l ol' manner of speakin' doesn't quite match. 

I absolutely loved Pogo.  Do you know where I can find some of the books?  I used to have two of them but, I lost them about 14 years ago. 

August 11th, 2018, 12:38 am #4

If Rocket Racoon  makes an appearance after the next button push on Monday, I'll say no...
Breakfast.com halted. Cereal port not ready.

August 11th, 2018, 1:21 am #5

GlennSellers wrote:
PoisonOakMagnet wrote:

I absolutely loved Pogo.  Do you know where I can find some of the books?  I used to have two of them but, I lost them about 14 years ago. 
As most of the younger generations have no idea who Pogo was or what a hugely popular presidential candidate he always was, you shouldn't have much trouble finding books for sale.  I've seen lots of 5 or 6 books listed for as little as $10 on ebay.

The strip has been in reprint, full color and hardcover which runs about $40 per volume.

August 11th, 2018, 2:07 am #6

As I recall, Pogo was one of the strips where, as a small child, I learned about the Gummit.
This is a test. Explosions are a happy side effect.

August 11th, 2018, 2:42 am #7

The bear is Thornton from Sherman's Lagoon by Jim Toomey.

August 11th, 2018, 2:43 am #8

Next week; cameos.

August 11th, 2018, 3:06 am #9

eddi wrote: The bear is Thornton from Sherman's Lagoon by Jim Toomey.
Thanks.  I was wracking my brains.   Looked familiar, but couldn't place it.  Been a while since followed Sherman's Lagoon.  Once had a free "screen saver" from SL, on my PC.

August 11th, 2018, 8:14 am #10

GlennSellers wrote:In the last panel of today's (8-10-18) strip the raccoon looks like Rackety Raccoon from the old Pogo comic.  Is that coincidence?
-No, it's clipart. 😁

I knew there was no way I could actually emulate Walt Kelly's style, at least not in any kind of reasonable timeframe, so I found a suitable comic panel and worked with Kelly's own artwork.

The color was a puzzler, as there's only like three frames of the Rackety Kids in color, and they're all vastyly different- from an almost-white grey, to a weird tan, to a reddish-brown. (Given the limitations of newsprint color at the time, I'm assuming.)

So I came up with something that "looked about right", redrew the hands and tweaked the eyes and whatnot a bit.

Thornton I drew from scratch, but of course leaning heavily on examples from the comic. (And it's a lot simpler, less expressive style, which helped too.)

I am glad, either way, that some people recognized Rackety. I wanted a raccoon and polar bear for the result, but neither one is particularly popular as a comic character. I can't think of any other webcomic that has a polar bear as a regular character, and Thornton is pretty much the only one from newspaper comics.

I suppose I could have used Iorek from Golden Compass, or the gangster-bears from Zootopia, but being CGI, I'd have a tough time drawing those recognizably.

Raccoons aren't much better. RJ from Over the Hedge is about the only one, but I'd actually used him in a filler strip version of the "button" series- I thought it was in the archives, but apparently not. I just posted over on Patreon- in the open- if anyone's interested.

Apart from RJ, I couldn't think of any other raccoon characters There's a couple of webcomic ones- Avery from Ozy & Millie and RC from Sabrina Online, which is very close to the entire list- but with Thornton I wanted another newspaper 'coon if I could.

I lucked out in finding a couple perfect poses of Rackety, and hoped he wasn't too obscure- Pogo having ended some forty-three years ago. 😋

Doc.