Question about the vertfeed RT Mag

October 30th, 2017, 5:54 pm #1

Hey Doc,
So i sent the vertfeed RT mag to Jake Berenyi. He had a question. WE tried to upgrade to a LVL10 bolt, and it didnt fit. This was his message

So Jeff Pace sent me the classic rt mag to put together and tune for him. I suggested that he use a level 10 bolt since he put so much money in it would be a shame with out it. well sure enough the bolt doesn't fit in the breach. It is 0.005" larger than the stock level 7 bolt. Im not sure if this is a bolt issue, a body issue or tolerance issue but i figured i would reach out. The bolt is new straight from AGD.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

October 30th, 2017, 8:18 pm #2

Yeah, we ran into that once before- it's the 'Cocker barrel adapter that's too tight.

I try to keep the breeches in those adapters fairly 'tight', especially with today's tiny paints. It both helps feed reliability and reduces blowback past the bolt.

However, we've run across a few L10 bolts that are a bit thicker at the swage/braze seam at the tip- not by much, but a few thou adds up when tolerances are tight.

You can send it back to me and I'll either bore it out an extra five thou, or swap it out with another adapter. Or if JB has access to a lathe, he can do it too- it's pretty basic work. (Just make sure he lightly deburrs the inside edges of the feed port afterward.)

Doc.

October 31st, 2017, 3:30 am #3

I think Jake is gonna tune up the valve, box up the entire kit and send it your way. Thank you!

Jeff

October 31st, 2017, 7:05 pm #4

Yeah, we ran into that once before- it's the 'Cocker barrel adapter that's too tight.

I try to keep the breeches in those adapters fairly 'tight', especially with today's tiny paints. It both helps feed reliability and reduces blowback past the bolt.

However, we've run across a few L10 bolts that are a bit thicker at the swage/braze seam at the tip- not by much, but a few thou adds up when tolerances are tight.

You can send it back to me and I'll either bore it out an extra five thou, or swap it out with another adapter. Or if JB has access to a lathe, he can do it too- it's pretty basic work. (Just make sure he lightly deburrs the inside edges of the feed port afterward.)

Doc.
Just to be clear, its not the cocker adapter thats tight, its the LVL10 itself.